Vacation 2006 plans

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Crude-oil prices reached a new record of $75 a barrel Friday amid concern about Iran's nuclear ambitions and declining U.S. gasoline stocks.

Gasoline has gone over $4.00 gallon in parts of NYC & LA. How's your bicycle?

Professur

As stated, we went to a buck twenty this morning. Much more, and GA gets crossed off the list entirely.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
If you guys are so much higher than here I may have to bring a Jerry can full of gas for my return trip if I even make it out there this summer :(

Uki Chick

Professur said:
As stated, we went to a buck twenty this morning. Much more, and GA gets crossed off the list entirely.

They're saying it's gonna hit 1.35 soon and higher if the price keeps going up.

unclehobart

There are gobs of reserves and machinery in place in Texas. When the hell is that all going to fire up again and take the steam off?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Last I heard ( a couple of days back), we're sitting on an 8-year high for stocked gasoline & some of the refineries were down for maintenance (they couldn't shut last year because of Katrina). Once they open, in May, we'll be sitting pretty. This is all because of some overzealous daytraders & highrollers who like the commodity markets too much.

ekahs retsam

The US sells the majority of naturally produced oil to other countries. Many of the contracts owned by the US related to OPEC produced oil requires that we can not resell it. So the majority of the locally produced oil is sold for over triple the price the US can buy it for. However, Japan has a nearly exclusive deal regarding US oil sales which allows it to buy our oil at cost in exchange for “continued deficit spending” by the US. Also, the US government will often pay oil producing land owners not to drill. My grandparents have considerable oil producing land holdings and over 80% of their income comes from NOT drilling. Between that and CRP farming doing NOTHING pays very well.

simplyred

I'm in outside sales...if the gas keeps going up I'll be paying THEM to work! (but then I AM the dummy who bought a gas guzzler last month!)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
2.89 per gallon when I filled up yesterday. Even with pretty decent gas mileage I'm averaging about 60 a week just for gas. The Suburban hasn't moved in days.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
was 108.1 at like 12:30am last night...that's just sad cause it's usually cheapest in the middle of the night :(

Inkara1

Wow... around here, they usually just boost it in the middle of the night, when they'd have time to change the prices on the signs and at the pumps without anyone swooping in between the two and demanding the lower price. Then they leave that price for the day, and up it again the next night.

tonksy

Man...Back in the day when I was a shift manager at a gas station we changed ours every tuesday.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
They move your gas prices so much that the period of the day matters?

Yeah...my mom always gases up late at night or early morning and only a couple times has she ever paid over $1...and last summer it was over a dollar for a good couple weeks all day every day...my mom would get it for 98 or something at like 2am (she was working 3am-3pm at the time). I've seen the price jump by 10% or more in the middle of the day (like drive by a station going somewhere and a few hours later on the way back it's 10% higher)...gas prices are ALL over the board. It could be a good 8 cents cheaper at one gas station in the city than it is ANYWHERE else too. It's nuts.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
Man...Back in the day when I was a shift manager at a gas station we changed ours every tuesday.

Before this insane gas situation started there was one day of the week (Thurs I think but I don't remember for sure) that gas was ALWAYS cheaper, but it was cheaper all day...now it's "See it cheap you better buy it" because 5 min later it could be hiked...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
tonksy said:

Here it used to be the Thursday price increase. Some stations changed first thing, some waited until noon, a few even went until evening but it went up on Thursday. Now, it seems to be daily with Tuesday being the big jump day.