Vinyl records

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Today I saw a pile of discs over a table, I started to flip around them and found a couple of good ones. The discs were there because my mom was about to throw them away.

I saved some and listened to them.

Boy oh boy, I had to clean the turntable. What an experience.

Push the start button and I remember start hearing that noise that you know doesn't belong to the music but sometimes is fondly missed.

A disc that probably is older than most people of this board is, Paul Anka gold collection, which belong to my grandmother.

The disc starts to play and there's some crackles and pops, then Diana starts, some genuine old songs for a genuine old format. I felt almost like a child, the smell, the distortion, the weared record is simply something SO particular.

Ohhh the nostalgy.

No matter how good digital gets, there's something about the vibrations of an LP. Sustain instead of reducing reproduction, the intangibles of wax (okay, plastic worked too) outweigh the simplicity of zeroes & ones.

Digital on the other hand, is one hell of a lot easier.

How many were the good old 45s?

I lost all my KISS 45s except one, and I had all of them.

I own a 1966 Wurlitzer Jukebox that plays them. Fortunately, it was at my folks' place when the house burned, so it and all the 45s I had in it survived. I still need to tear into the guts of it and give it a good once over...

Lius, it's freaking scary how some things can trigger memories like that, isn't it? I'll be walking down the country lane here and suddenly a smell will trigger a memory ... or even just a feeling. Half way to a deja vu.

I can't smell trains without getting a big ol' glasgow hook.

twas a day to be in glesga on satrurday alreet - Scotland 1 France 0! ..(not that i was, mind)

yeah - hot tar - reminds of of my grandma's house.

odd isn't it how there all thse programs to give clean dgital video or audio filmy looks or noise and jitter or the idiosyncaries (sp?) of the vinyl sound... can't beat Vinyl ..except with a hammer.

Remember the RCA dog looking into the Victorola? That look aptly describes the look on the faces of the other people in the dorms when they would see my turntable.

Lately, I've been using canned air to blow the dust off my records... or if it's one I got out of the el cheapo bin and the dust is deep in the grooves, I've found taking a cotton ball and dousing it with rubbing alcohol, then holding it against the record with a little pressure so the alcohol flows out, does a decent job of dislodging a lot of the dust. "Legend of a Mind" has a lot fewer pops in it now after that.

Records are in courthouses; albums play on turntables.

And get thee henceforth to thine local Shack-O-Radio and buy a proper LP cleaning kit. You know better.

Given that he worked there, he can be excused for not wanting to go back.

Do they even sell LP cleaning kits anymore?

Nope. That's why I have to improvise. I suppose Cheap Thrills or Boo Boo Records might sell cleaning kits since they sell RECORDS, but I'm fine with my system.

Albums can be on vinyl... they can also be on cassette, CD, 8-track, etc. An album is a collection of songs, regardless of the medium it's listened to on.

For years I have always cleaned my LPs by washing them with soapy water and a sponge and rinsing well, and air-drying them on a dishrack.

Back