Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
They get no write-off for CMN. That is the point.

One last chance.

me said:
Which has precisely squat to do with WalMart or any other corporation recouping their donations through jacked up prices. But don't let that stop you.

I could not possibly care less if they get a tax break on it or not. The money comes from their collective pocket. They get it back as I described. Like all the others. Comprende?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Target...Sears...Wal-Mart...Kroger...Penneys...Piggly Wiggly

They all provide something we want. We chose to spend out money as we see fit. There is no difference.

catocom

well now that is the part I understand, that the companies wanna say where
the money goes, instead of the gov.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Christ in a chariot driven sidecar.

It's called opening your fuggin eyes. Economics 101. Using your hotdamn brain. You want validation? Peel's yer boi for that. I prefer actual thought to playing "My search engine is better than yours".

If you owned a multi-million dollar company...household name...all that...fuggin THINK. Yes you want your company's name listed as a major charitable donor. Sheeples loves that. Yes, that takes money out of your pocket. What to do, what to do...how can I donate 2.6 million to the Free Tibet in a Cloud of Glory Fund and still keep what I would have been able to keep for m'DAMN self?

Jiminy jacked up Cricket dude, you of all people on this place oughta be able to figure it out if your past claims are anywhere near reality.

2minkey

bootlicker
It's called opening your fuggin eyes. Economics 101.

okay, that's what i thought.

i just wonder how wal-mart would be figuring that. you know, let's raise the price on watermelon bubble yum by fifty cent so we can give an extra $500 to jerry's kids. something tells me it's neither so direct nor so sinister. um-specially with their particular pricing strategy. now maybe operational efficiencies (i.e. paying employees poot and beating up suppliers, perhaps?) put them in a position to have extra money lying around, that they can donate to the fucked up kids network or whatever. but it ain't by "jacking up" shit.

and by the way, there's a shitload of charitable work that a lot of companies do that the never toot their own horn about, at least to the public. lots of it. how does that fit in to econ 101? nope, doesn't. though probably fits more into psych 101, as corporate types, fully aware they sell shit grade products and make sleazy decisions damned near every day, attempt to make themselves feel better about what they do.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
It's almost a guilt-driven system. Our competitor sponsors a program to send autistic kids to summer camp. We better do somethin to keep up, or a certain segment of the sheeples will start carrying torches around HQ.

So we set up a program to provide computers to inner city schools. That feel-good enough for ya?

Now we have a decision to make. We can foot the cost of 700 laptops, plus the people to install em, plus a nice little ad campaign to let the sheeples know we're doing it so they won't surround HQ...or we can add $1.25 to Product A's selling price. $1.25 multiplied by the last quarter's sales data equals the price of the laptops, IT, and ad campaign, with maybe a little wiggle room to cover the "unexpecteds".

You honestly think these CEOs got there by losing revenue?

2minkey

bootlicker
You honestly think these CEOs got there by losing revenue?

no, of course not. eventually it all comes out of somewhere. i just don't think there's quite the direct linkage between thems donations and intentionally jacking johnny average that you seemed to assert a few posts ago. meh... guess it's just "academic" at this point.

spike

Target...Sears...Wal-Mart...Kroger...Penneys...Piggly Wiggly

They all provide something we want. We chose to spend out money as we see fit. There is no difference.

Now if you could actually show that Target, Sear, Kroger, etc had no difference in their business practices you might be on to something. Right now it's just wishful thinking.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4619734&page=1

From the tough anti-union talk to the wilder side of men in drag, videos of Wal-Mart corporate meetings are being sold to willing buyers, and the corporate behemoth is not happy about it.

Very interesting. Not as good as the F1 sex tapes, but could be fun to watch. hehehe

One of the network newscasts ran a piece on this tonight. Hard to see through the spin to tell whether it's a case of extortion by the videography company or sweeping under the rug by WalMart. Either way, I see a decent out of court settlement in somebody's near future. Wonder what THAT'LL do to peel's insurance premiums, and to the cost of Vietnamese throw pillows on aisle 160.

jimpeel

No biggie here, there, or anywhere. Businesses do silly shit all the time for fun and the entertainment of the assemblage.

At one of the Christmas parties that Odetics put on they had a video that was based on the old Brooke Shields Calvin Klien commercial where the camera pans up from her feet, over her hips, up her tastefully naked upper torso to her face where she says something like "I wouldn't be caught dead without my Calvin Klien jeans."

In this case, however, the end result is the president of the company -- a man.

Let's move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I swear it wasn't me

Wal-Mart Reopened After
Suspicious Package Closed Store

Published: 11:44 AM, 04/30/2008 Last updated: 11:45 AM, 04/30/2008

Source: The Greeneville Sun

Remote-Controlled

Camera Device

Is Sent Into Store

By TOM YANCEY

Staff Writer

The Wal-Mart Supercenter was reopened at 11:20 a.m. after being closed for two-and-a-half hours because of a bomb threat after a suspicious package that resembled a black briefcase was found near a front entrance.

The store was being investigated during the closing by a remote controlled camera device operated by the police.

No explosion had occurred and no one was injured, authorities at the scene reported.

Greeneville Police Captain David Crum, who was at the scene, said store officials contacted the police department after seeing a note had been attached to the package.

Greeneville police responded with their bomb squad truck and trailer, he said. An EMS ambulance also responded, as required when there is a bomb threat.

Crum said it was the Wal-Mart management's decision to evacaute the store "to ensure the safety of personnel and customers."

Store personnel then gathered at the far side of the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Shortly before 10 a.m., police had sent a remote-controlled bomb observation unit to examine the package with the note.

The store was reoponed at 11:20 a.m. when police and Wal-Mart officials were satisified that it was safe to enter the building.

"Attention WalMart shoppers...today only we have a special on body armor, located on aisle 301 across from the jigsaw puzzles...first come first serve..."

2minkey

bootlicker
"Attention WalMart shoppers...today only we have a special on body armor, - no, not the low grade shit we sent our folks to iraq with, but a higher, walmart-approved grade, made with pride in indonesia - located on aisle 301 across from the jigsaw puzzles...first come first serve..."

jimpeel

Indonesia? WTF? I thought I was supposed to believe Wal-Mart is in bed with China.

If 2minkey was in charge of Wal-Mart he would only buy from the most expensive high-end suppliers at American based companies. Of course, he would be looking for other gainful employment -- along with the other 1.3 million Wal-Mart associates -- within a few months; but he would have made a very powerful statement against cheap goods.