Watcha eating for New Years?

kuulani

At midnight I'm hopefully eating soup. But we're grilling shortribs for dinner, boiling some edamame, and eating whatever else people are bringing over :D

oh, and we're having a whole lotta Heinekens :D

Dave

Re: Watch eating for New Years?

Probably just snacking on whatever is in the house. We don't have any food traditions on New Years Eve.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Re: Watch eating for New Years?

At midnight I'm hopefully eating soup. But we're grilling shortribs for dinner, boiling some edamame, and eating whatever else people are bringing over :D

I guess my invite got lost in the mail...

:(

sounds like fun, I think I will be making a spinach chicken pasta tonight.

nalani

As for the Heineken, you can have my portion :D ... BUT, do you have kahlua? I think I want to have one glass of kahlua and milk .. just to ring in the new year ;)

I'll bring teriyaki meatballs. It's what I have on hand so I don't have to go to the store in the New Years Eve craziness. Are the Pills coming?

kuulani

I don't think the Pills are coming - only Manai ... and I'm not too sure about the kahlua, I might've used it all when I made my kahlua bread recently ... :drink2:

BeardofPants

We spent NYE in the terminal at the airport going through customs. 'Tis all good though, we had an excellent week in Melbourne, Australia, drinking through enough beer & wine to make up for the decided lack on NYE. Happy New Years, guys!

nalani

I don't think the Pills are coming - only Manai ... and I'm not too sure about the kahlua, I might've used it all when I made my kahlua bread recently ... :drink2:

Aww crap! And I didn't even get a piece of the kahlua bread ... *harumph* .. ok, maybe I'll brave Safeway on the way home .. I have to stop and get milk anyway, I'm running low.

chcr

Too cute for words
Damn. I'd almost forgotten that in civilized countries you can buy liquor at the grocery store. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Arizona has drive-thru liquor stores. So does Ohio. The laws here are stupid.

Lasagna for diner.

pc_builder

North Dakota is weird. You can't buy liquor in a grocery store, but you can have a drive-thru liquor store, because we have one in the town next door.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
IN...

you can't sell alcohol where you sell food to make at home (grocer) but you can sell it in restaurants. You can buy beer & wine though.

You can't sell cold pop where you sell alcohol.

You can't buy on Sunday, unless you're in a restaurant...at which time you can buy 6, 12, 24 or whatever, to bring 'em home.

They charge extra to get cold beer.

H2O boy

the local traditional 'good luck' new years meal is pickled hog jowl and black eyed peas

im passing on that

had some nasty pizza tonight, and will be haveing barbecue pork roast tomorrow

pc_builder

We've never had any kind of new year's tradition for food. Usually we just hang out together at a bar or at home, have a few drinks, and watch a movie or two.

2minkey

bootlicker
IN...

you can't sell alcohol where you sell food to make at home (grocer) but you can sell it in restaurants. You can buy beer & wine though.

You can't sell cold pop where you sell alcohol.

You can't buy on Sunday, unless you're in a restaurant...at which time you can buy 6, 12, 24 or whatever, to bring 'em home.

They charge extra to get cold beer.

golly, gonz, that's all quite ridiculous. and so is the fact that we have to buy liquor from a state store here. this is one thing the states of CA, MI, and IL have gotten right. you can buy booze just about anywhere.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I went to my uncle's for a big seafood feast last night, rang in the new year with extended family. Today it's just my mom and I hanging out at home (in our pajamas) with a ham and scalloped potatoes in the oven. I'm sitting in the kitchen getting my old laptop set up for her to use (I'm leaving it here for her now that I have the Mac) and the smell of the food in the oven is making me salivate.

chcr

Too cute for words
golly, gonz, that's all quite ridiculous. and so is the fact that we have to buy liquor from a state store here. this is one thing the states of CA, MI, and IL have gotten right. you can buy booze just about anywhere.

Hereabouts you can buy beer but not wine in the grocery store. You cannot sell (package) beer in the same store where you sell (package) wine and spirits. :shrug: My favorite spot for such is owned by an Armenian couple here in town. They have a beer and discount cigarette store (but no smoking) right next to a wine and liquor store. Can't hardly get in there around a holiday though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You cannot sell (package) beer in the same store where you sell (package) wine and spirits.

Anyh idea of the reasoning behind that piece of legislation?