we got rearended...

I'd hate to lose it as I've already been through the 'falling knife' rebuild phase where everything that konks out and dies at 7~ years has already done so and been replaced. I was looking forward to another 100,000 miles.

Did it do anything besides bend the back frame a bit and mess up some sheet metal? New seats shouldn't be all that expensive... and after me bugging you for a while, you finally put in a decent stereo.

unclehobart said:
I'd hate to lose it as I've already been through the 'falling knife' rebuild phase where everything that konks out and dies at 7~ years has already done so and been replaced. I was looking forward to another 100,000 miles.

I know how you feel. My Silverado is seven years old but good for another 100k at least. If it got hit I would be one pissed off dude.

The same exact accident that happened to you guys happened to a co-worker's son a few months ago, except he was driving a brand spanking new F-250 Super Duty, and it happened on a 55 mph speed limit 2 lane state road. It bent the frame, but the insurance company wouldn't total it due to it's value. The truck will never be the same, and he is probably still livid.

Sharky said:
I know how you feel. My Silverado is seven years old but good for another 100k at least. If it got hit I would be one pissed off dude.

The same exact accident that happened to you guys happened to a co-worker's son a few months ago, except he was driving a brand spanking new F-250 Super Duty, and it happened on a 55 mph speed limit 2 lane state road. It bent the frame, but the insurance company wouldn't total it due to it's value. The truck will never be the same, and he is probably still livid.

WTF hit a F-250 that would bend the frame?

A.B.Normal said:
A car. I don't recall what make or model - I'll ask my co-worker tomorrow. The car was totaled and the girl driving it was critically injured. The people in the truck walked away, but were very sore the next few days.

Even a Geo going at 55 would exert a lot of force when it hits, and if it hits at just the right position and angle it's perfectly possible to see how it would bend the frame. It doesn't have to bend it a whole lot to throw the truck's tracking off a bit.

tonksy said:
i love our rental. a hyundai sonata...course it's a car...but it's nice.
Don't forget the best part, it's a RENTAL... That means you don't have to slow down for dips or bumps anymore. :D

Glad to hear you're both ok.

The adjuster stopped counting at $5,000 in damage and didn't even get to the frame issues. USAA is calling it a goner. Now I have to wait until the other insurance company surfaces and see what they say.

*making plans to pull nice stereo from the truck. I paid for it aftermarket... its mine*

It might be time to turn this into a brainstorming thread about what type of new car I need to get. I plan on hopping out to a Carmax dealer tomorrow just to be able to hop from car to car to get a feel for room, safety, power, amenities and whatnot. I've been out of the car game for a decade... so much has happend.

desires: sturdy frame as we are both now paranoid of impacts. reasonable gas mileage (min 23/hwy). Performance (not necessarily a demon per se... just not a total slug). I came from a truck... I need space for (stuff, shit, carseats... you know the drill). Tonks wants an 'oh-shit' bar on the passenger side above the window. Something new to 4 years old with no more than 40k miles. Some measure of comfort as we do some long drives (not hard to please here).

First thought is a Dodge demon like Homelan just bought... just in the sissy V-6 version to keep it in the 25-27k$ region. I'm just not a fan of buying a vehicle in its first production year as the bugs haven't all been worked out yet. Gas mileage is iffy.

Another thought is a Volvo wagon. Long record for safety. Good repair records. Relatively boxy/ugly. Can get pricey.

5 year old Mercedes sedan? Space, king of safety, long wearing, amenities, expensive to service, cushy ride.

Lincoln Town Car: Space, luxury, heavy frame for safety, can be too soft on road feel, bad mileage.

Hondas.. hmm... I hear good things about the Element even though it looks like a legomobile. I also hear that the drivetrains are almost invincible. Space might be limited. Nice gas mileage.

Forget solid frame. That hasn't existed outside of trucks and luxury sedans since the '70. Today you want big crumple zones. That puts every minivan outta the lineup, since none of them have any decent space between the rear row and the rear window.

Edit: the kids are gonna be heartbroken to hear about your truck. They had so much fun in it.

i don't suppose that full sized dodge hemi truck gets good gas mileage....i joke. i just would like it to be comfy and roomy and safe.

Dunno. You've seen what I drive. I try not to look to hard at the new models until I get closer to replacing what I've already finished paying for.

They did just recall the Durango, but BFD. That happens.

Go for the Magnum with the big 6 cylinder (3.5 liter, cranks about 250 HP) It'll have nice pickup, and runs 19/27 on mileage. Get the roofrack for extra storage.

HomeLAN said:
They did just recall the Durango, but BFD. That happens.

Go for the Magnum with the big 6 cylinder (3.5 liter, cranks about 250 HP) It'll have nice pickup, and runs 19/27 on mileage. Get the roofrack for extra storage.
i like the 6 cylinder SXT special edition magnum in magnesium grey. yup.

If you end up going new, and you end up going Mopar, lemme know. The dude I dealt with was top-notch, and I've got his card. For GOD'S sake, don't go to Marietta Dodge.

A.B.Normal said:
It was a late-model Toyota Camry. The police estimated her speed at impact as 50 mph. It went under the back of the truck.

Back