We just can't have that stuff

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
from tonguetied.us

Two high school girls in Texas were sent home when they refused to let administrators confiscate purses they received for Christmas with the Confederate emblem on them, according to WFAA-TV in Dallas.

Officials at Burleson High School said the purses are racist and violate the school's dress code. Ashley Thomas and Aubrie McAllum both received the purses as Christmas presents.

**end**

If it is specifically written into a dress code, then their actions are wrong. If, like 99.9% of these things are, the dress code is so damn ambiguous that anything from a Tommy Hillfigure shirt to a Bin Laden banner could be included, then all power to these chicks for trying to stick up for THEIR rights instead of constantly bowing to someone else's created crisis.

Until more people read their history it'll keep happening too. And people are not going to do that...it'd mean turning American Idol off.

God forbid.

like this?
purse.jpg

not exactly available in stores, though. This one was eva brauns.

And it's kind of ironic that you should mention nazis when compared to the confederate flag. Both the swastika and the confederate flag have been attached to meanings that had nothing to do with the origins of the symbol.
Not that I am some kind of nazi or anything, the whole concept is ridiculous.

Betcha a buck that the confedrate flag is not involved at all. Most people wouldn't recognize the conferate flag if they were wrapped in it.

SouthernN'Proud said:
If it is specifically written into a dress code, then their actions are wrong. If, like 99.9% of these things are, the dress code is so damn ambiguous that anything from a Tommy Hillfigure shirt to a Bin Laden banner could be included, then all power to these chicks for trying to stick up for THEIR rights instead of constantly bowing to someone else's created crisis.

Until more people read their history it'll keep happening too. And people are not going to do that...it'd mean turning American Idol off.

What it is is PC running amuk once more and ignoring, like you said, history. It was just as much voting as for the slavery...

chcr said:
Betcha a buck that the confedrate flag is not involved at all. Most people wouldn't recognize the conferate flag if they were wrapped in it.

Guaranteed.

Oh how I'd love to have the time and patience to do a little copy/paste from the Confederate constitution and see how many people would be jumping at the chance to live under the document...

SnP, this is in my backyard. My son is a Junior at Burleson High School, where this is taking place.

Here is the portion of the student dress code that would cover said purses:
Any garment with decorations, patches, lettering, advertisements, or the like, that may be considered obscene, offensive*, and lewd shall not be worn to school. This includes, but is not limited to, any garment or accessory with any drug emblem, tobacco product, beer, wine, or any type of alcoholic beverage advertisement on the garment.
link if you care to read it all *The school district is going off of the 'offensive' portion. There is NOTHING specific referencing the Confederate Flag being prohibited. And, my son has told me that the school officials are forcing any and all students who have a Confederate Flag on their vehicle to either remove them or cover them with something else.

The purse IS the flag.
0106_purse200.jpg

Welcome to the United States of the Offended. The problem is "Offensive to whom?"

I could easily counter that anything red is offensive to Native americans. Any yellow clothing is offensive to Asians. Olive drap and camo is offensive to pacifists. Bare heads are offensive to both Muslims and Jews. Electronics are offensive to Luddites.

flavio said:
Shit, where are the Nazi purses? we could make some dough selling those to high school kids.

Why yes, yes we could. Not likely to be a big seller however. American capitalism & its associated freedoms ar nice that way.

Professur said:
Welcome to the United States of the Offended. The problem is "Offensive to whom?"

I could easily counter that anything red is offensive to Native americans. Any yellow clothing is offensive to Asians. Olive drap and camo is offensive to pacifists. Bare heads are offensive to both Muslims and Jews. Electronics are offensive to Luddites.

My sig is from Tennessee's official reasons for secession. It's a little offensive.

I don't see why Nazi or Confederate flags should be tolerated at a public school.

flavio said:
I don't see why Nazi or Confederate flags should be tolerated at a public school.

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

If it were a private institution, these rules wouldn't apply.

flavio said:
My sig is from Tennessee's official reasons for secession. It's a little offensive.

A lot of people object to flying the US flag too. In Quebec, I stand a fair chance of having my house defaced, or destroyed if I fly the Canuck leaf. It should be allowed for the very same reason that Blacks are allowed equal status with whites. Because everyone is supposed to have the same rights.

Flav, I notice that you really hang onto that tennessee thing. I'm just curious as to wether you found similar articles in the reasons from the other 12? states too.

chcr said:
I guess you owe me a buck! :lloyd:

Professur said:
Flav, I notice that you really hang onto that tennessee thing. I'm just curious as to wether you found similar articles in the reasons from the other 12? states too.
Oh hell yeah, I read through most of them and protecting slavery was forefront on their minds. Read 'em ....I don't think Georgia has a paragraph that doesn't mention slavery, and Mississippi just puts it right out there with "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery".

flavio said:
Oh hell yeah, I read through most of them and protecting slavery was forefront on their minds. Read 'em ....I don't think Georgia has a paragraph that doesn't mention slavery, and Mississippi just puts it right out there with "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery".

There's only 4 states listed there.

Back