Welcome to 1984

jimpeel

It seems that Orwell didn't miss by too much.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2571041/How-Big-Brother-watches-your-every-move.html

How Big Brother watches your every move
In our ever-growing surveillance society, the average Briton is being recorded 3,000 times a week. Richard Gray reports.

Last Updated: 9:33AM BST 17 Aug 2008

With every telephone call, swipe of a card and click of a mouse, information is being recorded, compiled and stored about Britain's citizens.

An investigation by The Sunday Telegraph has now uncovered just how much personal data is being collected about individuals by the Government, law enforcement agencies and private companies each day.

In one week, the average person living in Britain has 3,254 pieces of personal information stored about him or her, most of which is kept in databases for years and in some cases indefinitely.

The data include details about shopping habits, mobile phone use, emails, locations during the day, journeys and internet searches.

In many cases this information is kept by companies such as banks and shops, but in certain circumstances they can be asked to hand it over to a range of legal authorities.

Britain's information watchdog, the Information Commissioner's Office, has called for tighter regulation of the amount of data held about citizens and urged the public to restrict the information they allow organisations to hold on them.

This newspaper's findings come days after the Government published plans to grant local authorities and other public bodies access to the email and internet records of millions. Phone companies already retain data about their customers and give it to 650 public bodies on request.

Mobile phones

Every day the average person makes three mobile phone calls and sends at least two text messages.

Each time the network provider logs information about who was called as well as the caller's location and direction of travel, worked out by triangulation from phone masts.

The internet

Internet service providers (ISPs) compile information about their customers when they go online, including name, address, the unique identification number for the connection, known as an IP address, any browser used and location.

They also keep details of emails, such as whom they were sent to, together with the date and time they were sent. An average of 50 websites are visited and 32 emails sent per person in Britain every day.

Privacy campaigners have expressed concern that the country's three biggest ISPs – BT, Virgin Media and TalkTalk – now provide this data to a digital advertising company called Phorm so that it can analyse web surfing habits.

Loyalty cards

Store "loyalty" cards also retain large amounts of information about individuals who have signed up to use them. They link a person's personal details to the outlets used, the transaction times and how much is spent.

In the case of Nectar cards, which are used by more than 10 million people in Britain once a week, information from dozens of shops is compiled, giving a detailed picture of a cardholder's shopping habits.

Banks

Banks can also be required to hand over personal account information to the authorities if requested as part of an investigation.

CCTV

The biggest source of surveillance in Britain is through the network of CCTV (closed-circuit television) cameras. On average, an individual will appear on 300 CCTV cameras during a day and those tapes are kept by many organisations for indefinite lengths of time.

On the London Underground network, Transport for London (TfL) keeps footage for a minimum of 14 days. TfL operates more than 8,500 CCTV cameras in its underground stations, 1,550 cameras on tube trains and up to 60,000 cameras on buses.

Number plate recognition

The latest development in CCTV is the increased use of automatic number plate recognition systems, which read number-plates and search databases for signs that a vehicle has been used in crime.

A national automatic number plate recognition system is maintained by the Association of Chief Police Officers along motorways and main roads. Every number plate picked up by the system is stored in a database with date, time and location for two years.

Public transport

Travel passes such as the Oyster Card used in London and the Key card, in Oxford, can also reveal remarkable amounts of information about an individual. When they are registered to a person's name, they record journey history, dates, times and fares.

The workplace

Employers are increasingly using radio-tagged security passes for employees, providing them with information about when staff enter and leave the office.

I'm not worried. If I can't make sense of all the voices in my head than neither can the government.

Tip of the iceberg...it's easy to compile information about people...it's far more difficult making the links necessary to turn all that information into something concrete and usable.

Chances are, what you're hearing about is just a small portion of what they're actually getting..not just in GB, but all over the 'connected' world.

If information about me is collected and used to show me an ad for the newest technology in USB hubs rather than the newest technology in tampons, I'm all for it.

you all don't understand. this is a huge deal. we all need to be very aware of this. the fate of western society depends on it!

but there is a way to beat it. swap shopper loyalty cards with someone else. i swapped mine with a 60 year old african american woman. later, i swapped with a 27 year old turkish chick. now "they" think this white boy buys lots of tampons and marlboro light 100 cigarettes. little do they know i actually prefer pads.

I am under the impression that most women wear them as they have problems with tampons...but I think they'd prefer to wear the tampon.

Can I send you a fresh roll of tin foil?

Hey, I just report this stuff. Did I mention Echelon (CLICK) (CLICK), and HAARP (CLICK)?

There is nothing new about this. The Telegraph is merely the latest to tap the issue.

To see an interesting discussion on Echelon simply go HERE. About once each year people do what is called "Echelon busting" by sending the list of keywords to everyone they know as an e-mail. I guess that would also be considered a "conspiracy".

Conspiracy theories are fun but this one really exists; no tin foil hat required unless you just like wearing yours as a style statement.

If there was a terrorist plot to build a nuclear bomb using schematics found on the internet and supply it to al-Qaeda people who would use it under the orders of Osama bin Laden to destroy the White House and kill President Bush, I wonder if the American Government would think that I was involved, because I had typed all those keywords in one message?

(I apologize to Fury and Sam if they get hassled by the Feds! :D )

Tip of the iceberg...it's easy to compile information about people...it's far more difficult making the links necessary to turn all that information into something concrete and usable.

They caught McVeigh in 24 hours because of a speeding ticket? Yea, right.

Back