Well, I'm glad that's over... for now!

Aunty Em

I spent most of today finishing my last 3 assignments for my teaching course and handed in my portfolio this evening... actually on time, would you believe? :)

From what my tutor said It sounds as though I've passed the course with flying colours, so I should soon be the proud owner of a teaching certificate which gives me access to teaching in the adult education colleges. She advised me to bypass the second stage as I have a degree and go straight for the Certificate in Further Education which will qualify me as a lecturer, so I'll have to start checking that out for September/October time since enrollment is at the end of this month. :D

congratulations aunty, i'd love to become a teacher someday. that might have to wait a while though. :headbang:

Ah... good question...

Biology, chemistry, environmental science up to degree level and basic IT. But since I haven't seriously taught sciences as yet I will probably look for a position at GCSE level at first. The subjects matter and curriculum are set so it will be easier starting at that level - it's also a shortage subject in both secondary (high school) and adult education.

I can also teach any leisure subject I'm good at and have a reasonable amount of experience in... eg. upgrading or building your own computer and designing and building your own webpage at entry level. Both quite popular subjects over here.

Basically, I have been taught to design and implement a course of teaching based on whatever my subject is, using different teaching methods ie. lecture, discussion, role-play, group work, individual work, practical sessions, demonstrations and assignments, setting homework, etc. that are appropriate to the subject. eg, the course outline, scheme of work and individual lesson plans stating the specific aims and objectives of each, and where it is accredited to ensure that it complies with the requirements set by the internal/external examination board.

To assess the suitability of students for the course and their learning needs (learner support ie dyslexia) by various means, assess their learning style and progress by a variety of methods both accredited and non-accredited. To be able to continuously assess the effectiveness of my own teaching and the effectiveness of the course content, materials and resources. etc, etc, etc.... The teaching course is the same regardless of your subject.

This is the first stage certificate. The second stage cerficate is more of the same over a year with more observed teaching sessions, and is really designed for those without a degree but occupational skills teaching in industrial settings. But since I do have a degree and I'm already teaching I can bypass it and go straight to the Cert. Ed. But I need a lot more teaching time to do it. I really did this one to see if it was for me and if I was any good at it. And I'm pleased to reply in the affirmative on both counts. I scored the highest possible marks I could get in my observed teaching sessions. :D

For my own personal assessment, I'm a much more effective teacher now... I've been teaching other people since I was in my early twenties in on the job skills, but I'm now much more organised in my approach and can actively see that the aims and objectives of my teaching are being met.

I think I've finally found my true vocation... teaching adults is quite different in many ways to teaching children and I much prefer it and I'm definately going ahead with the Cert. Ed. :D

You'd prefer teaching adults, eh? I can't say the same. WhenI have to teach an adult user, I always get one of two sorts. The classic user who can't understand that a computer is just a machine, like a toaster. And the wannabe poweruser, who thinks that he already knows everything, because his neighbour works in computers and showed hom how to ....

Kids are soooooooooo much easier to teach for me. Sponges. All you need to do with them is convince them that you know what you're talking about. Once they're convinced of that, they literally hang on your every word.

I'm proud of you Em. That's a mighty fine desire you've got there.

Professur said:
The classic user who can't understand that a computer is just a machine, like a toaster. And the wannabe poweruser, who thinks that he already knows everything, because his neighbour works in computers and showed hom how to ....

I mainly get the classics... :)

... the wannabees I usually leave to their own devices until they make such a mess that they have to admit defeat and humbly ask for help... ;)

... the wannabees I usually leave to their own devices until they make such a mess that they have to admit defeat and humbly ask for help...
:rofl4: i love those people, especially in climbing, the elitist attitude is far too contaigious. climbing outside i could care less if people size me up but if i'm working at the Y and someone comes in, sizes me up, and gives me that crap. they're gonna get shit on by me and my co-workers every time they cough :evilgrin:

Very cool! my dad prefers teaching sixth form english as well, says the younger ones are VERY irritating, hes been teaching roughly 35yrs now :eek:

Professur said:
The classic user who can't understand that a computer is just a machine, like a toaster.

One of the first tasks of my current job was to travel to our 45 locations and take people's dumb terminals away and replace them with WYSE terminals. Then I had to teach people how to use mice, how to click, what a window was... It was an experience. Most of them yes'd me to death and then went to their managers and said, "How do I use this thing?"

Professur said:
And the wannabe poweruser, who thinks that he already knows everything, because his neighbour works in computers and showed hom how to ....

My most recent "expert" wouldn't leave me alone, was arguing with me that he couldn't work on a WYSE terminal and had to have a PC. I humored him for a while, asking him what he can't do on a WYSE that he can do on a PC. After each answer, I shot him down and embarrassed him in front of his co-workers. He finally said that once he's done with school, he's going to want my job. I said, "Thanks for the warning." Two weeks later, he got laid off along with everyone else in his department and I'm still around. :shrug:

Auntie, it sounds like you have a lot of options available to you. That's good, so you can find your niche and maybe jump around if you find you don't like some aspect of what you're doing.

I like variety... teaching a Science is different to teaching IT, there's a lot more lecturing and less practical work involved although the chemistry experiments can be fun! And I should be able to organise field trips in biology and env. sci.

I will also be vetting my students with a questionaire and a pre-course interview to ensure that I do have genuine beginners in my IT classes - though it's sometimes hard to persuade some people that they are ready to go on to the next stage and not keep returning to the beginners class. It's also not good for the morale of the genuine beginners to be faced with a fellow student who can apparently do things easily. It's another aspect of the job which involves giving advice.

Back