Well isn't that nice

oh noes now the libs are bickering amongst themselves. it aint been but a month and already the cheerleaders are catfighting. whats next, lions lying down with lambs?

i cant wait to see which one of you spike says is stupid

Actually, Dara pointed out last night that Clooney raised a shitload of money for Obama's campaign. Maybe that's why Obama felt obligated to meet with him. :shrug:

One can only hope that he figuratively patted George on the head and said, "Yes George, we will certainly give your ideas the consideration they're due..."

Maybe he is an expert?

At acting?

Lets give him a test on Darfur and see how he does.

Well, if he'd like to leave acting and qualify for the diplomatic service, that would be fine. I'll bet he doesn't though. I'd be surprised if he can.

It's rather like some companies hiring kids who're good at Quake or some shit and expecting them to be able to do a professional job in IT. Maybe every once in a while it works out but it's really surprising when it happens.

Forgetting what Clooney does for a living - What is wrong with someone who can get the general populace to pay attention for long enough, using that skill to put a spotlight on an issue that would normally be ignored?

Forgetting what Clooney does for a living - What is wrong with someone who can get the general populace to pay attention for long enough, using that skill to put a spotlight on an issue that would normally be ignored?

Because, for the most part, he doesn't know what he's talking about. He's an actor. He only repeats what others write for him. That is his job.

Nothing at all, Bish. Where the problem arises is when he wants deference or authority from the government to do it. He's not part of any government agency and he's not answerable to the government in any meaningful way. If he wants to be involved with the government in foreign policy matters, he needs to be a fully qualified government employee, hopefully with some experience in foreign service. Note that I don't think anyone should be allowed to be secretary of state without similar, even more stringent qualifications.

As a private citizen he's allowed to say whatever he thinks about any situation. It's pretty evident from his actions in the past that he considers himself rather more than a private citizen, isn't it?

Because, for the most part, he doesn't know what he's talking about. He's an actor. He only repeats what others write for him. That is his job.

Then again maybe he does know what he's talking about. You seem to act like you're an expert on a lot of things that aren't related to your jiob.

I guess what really gets me, and I have never understood because it just doesn't seem to be a part of my makeup, is the way most people look at "celebrity". George Clooney, seems to me to be very polarizing. There are probably people who would change their brand of toothpaste if they found out that he used the same brand. I know like three things about him, and I am not entirely clear on those. I know what he looks like. I am pretty sure he was on NBC's "ER", though I wouldn't put money on it since I never watch the show, and I think he is very politically liberal. Thats all I know about him, until this thread! I don't form a lot of opinions and assumptions based on that, but it seems to me most people would.

I personally see Celebrities as people unfortunate enough to lose anonymity, some very talented or accomplished, and some infamous for mistakes, but essentially, nothing more or less than that. Until I've met them, spent time with them, I don't pretend to know them or form strong opinions. I don't have any form of "hero worship" of ones I admire and I don't really hate the ones I dislike from what I do know of them. I mean sure I will form some opinions on people based on how much I think I know, but at the end of the day I have never gone all gaga for any of them and even political figures who I really despise their politics, I don't assume I would actually dislike if I met them in person and kicked it with them a while.

If Clooney's cause was worthy I hope Obama looks into the matter at least, and if not, well I hope he shined him on. I have a feeling though that if Clooney had a monumentally awesome thing he did, some of you would still be more concerned with what your (possibly false) perception of who you think he is!

rJ...the problem stems from these people interjecting themselves into positions of power when they are no more an expert than you or I. They're cashing in on their fame to promote something. Themselves mostly. However, there are enough sheep that hear their favorite celeb & agree, just because of that. Misinformation at its finest.

rJ...the problem stems from these people interjecting themselves into positions of power when they are no more an expert than you or I. They're cashing in on their fame to promote something. Themselves mostly. However, there are enough sheep that hear their favorite celeb & agree, just because of that. Misinformation at its finest.

See here is where I have to disagree. They do not necessarily claim to be more expert than you and me, but they use their celebrity status to their advantage. I have no problem with that. It's simple logic that someone as well known and loved as, say, Oprah, or perhaps the Late Charleton Heston, would be able to add pull to a cause. See this is what I mean about how I look at celebrity. I do not assume that they celebrity them self thinks they are any better than you or me. I just know, that they know, that their fame equals pull. Like it or not, that pull that comes with fame, is a fact. Perhaps some individual celebrities have some kind of ego issues about it, but until I know them personally I do not assume so, where it seems to me, that most of the rest of you, always assume that celebrities think they are better than everyone else.

Back