We've all seen the video...

hate (hāt)

v., hat·ed, hat·ing, hates.

v.tr.

To feel hostility or animosity toward.
To detest.
To feel dislike or distaste for: hates washing dishes.
v.intr.
To feel hatred.

n.
Intense animosity or dislike; hatred.
An object of detestation or hatred: My pet hate is tardiness.

Now quit being lazy.

Yeah, what I said. Teaching hate is not selfishness, it's passing on bad values.

And teaching them to roll over and allow the country to be overtaken is foolishness. I don't teach foolishness. Some do. I laugh at them. I am not alone. I'm still waiting for a point, useless as that wait might be.

hate (hāt)

v., hat·ed, hat·ing, hates.

v.tr.

To feel hostility or animosity toward.
To detest.
To feel dislike or distaste for: hates washing dishes.
v.intr.
To feel hatred.

n.
Intense animosity or dislike; hatred.

So, you hate religion. I'll assume you'll teach your children the same animosity for it. Stop teaching hate.

I'm still waiting for a point, useless as that wait might be.

You said "There are several reasons for negligent or absent parenting. I submit that, excluding death, 90% of it boils down to selfishness though."

My point was that divisiveness and violence like is exhibited in this video often comes from parents teaching hate, not selfishness on their part.

In the simplest possible terms the point is-> Parenting that leads to violence like this may often come from the parents values and not the parents selfishness.

Ie: Don't blame selfishness and the 'me me me' red-herring.

It's more the inability of parent to teach their children better than they themselves were taught..that's what pervasive attitudes are all about.

If you, as a parent, are biased...your children will be as well because they'll suck up your attitude as the norm. Once they reach a certain age, they're take their attitudes from their peers as much or often more than from their parents (not from lack of effort on the parent's part, but that's just how kids are wired - seeking independence first from their parents, then from their peer-group) *See rebellious behavior*

Eventually they'll become their own person made up of some of what their parent taught them, some of what they learned from school and their peers and a great deal from their own personal experiences.

These girls are at the stage where their peers have a larger impact on their lives than their parents do. Parents can try all they might, but it often goes in one ear and out the other....

All we can do as parents is to keep plugging away and hope some of it sticks.

These girls are at the stage where their peers have a larger impact on their lives than their parents do. Parents can try all they might, but it often goes in one ear and out the other....

All we can do as parents is to keep plugging away and hope some of it sticks.

Our daughter is at the same stage. Her peers will undoubtedly play a major role in her decision making process. That's fine, until these influences conflict with what we have taught her. At which point in time, she has been/will be reminded that we pay the house payment, we put clothes on her back and food in her belly, and that until her friends take this burden from us our word will reign supreme. Go against it at your own peril. And I promise peril aplenty. If our message falls out your distant ear, I will provide a plug for said ear to assist you in retaining the information given by the ones who keep you alive. After all, you leave this address to socialize with our permission, an arbitrary thing at best.

Yes, it's hard work, thankless work, repetitive work, frustrating work. It is also worth every second of it. I ain't about to let up. I accept that it will not yield 100% positive results. Enter peril.

Lemme give you an example. We were having some behavior issues at school, and the grades started declining a bit also. We asked not only the kid but the teachers, her friends, anyone involved...what's going on? We took her word at face value. We determined the roots of the problem and addressed them. Then came the consequences portion of the discussion. She was told what was expected of her both in behavior and grades. She was given a fair and determinate amount of time to make the changes. If said changes were not made, there was a consequence....one that hit her hard where she thrives. She was also told that these sanctions remained in effect until the end of the school year...no "one and done" changes allowed. Amazingly, it hasn't been a problem since. It's up to her to determine if it will again.

Fair enough. There are several reasons for negligent or absent parenting. I submit that, excluding death, 90% of it boils down to selfishness though.

yep. i just wonder how exactly it is that selfishness became an unstated, but core, american value. or maybe i'm deluding myself to think that it's ever been any different... 'nostalgia for an age that never existed.'

Ie: Don't blame selfishness and the 'me me me' red-herring.

okay. let's just say "selfishness" is shorthand for a complex thingy inclusive of

cluelesness about one's social role, leading to...
profound insecurity, forming a nice inversion into...
vast overestimation of one's own importance that contributes to...
'acting out' in ways that project the previous and...
a sorta fucked-up, pathetic narcissism...
and
so
on.

okay maybe the order's not right but the idea is there.

It's more the inability of parent to teach their children better than they themselves were taught..that's what pervasive attitudes are all about.

and why do those parents lack the ability to teach 'em right? why are there so many shitty parents?

yep. i just wonder how exactly it is that selfishness became an unstated, but core, american value. or maybe i'm deluding myself to think that it's ever been any different... 'nostalgia for an age that never existed.'

24/7 TV & marketing kills

Back