What can't we do?

Re: Technical gibberish..

Oz said:
Just don't ask me about it........it might as well be written in Greek for all I understand :shrug:
she's a little hot rod compared to the boat i was on...thanks, oz.

tonks said:
yeah..i know, but this is a cruiseship not a carrier...is it efficient enough to warrant the cost in this case?

With all the bad publicity that has surrounded nuclear power (not to mention the occasional accident) I doubt very much they'd use it a cruise ship.

Giant ships require giant engines.

KHI.jpg

Note the staircase on the side of the engine. The biggest engine I could find was a 14 cylinder diesel engine that is 85 feet long, 36 feet wide, and weighs 2300 tons. It produces 108,000 HP at 102 RPM.

Wartsila-Sulzer Engines

QE2'S POWER PLANT IS DIESEL ELECTRIC, a system chosen for its inherent reliability and flexibility. In 1986/87, in an operation costing £100m, nine medium speed MAN L58/64 nine cylinder turbo charged diesel engines were fitted, in place of the aging and fuel thirsty steam plant. The diesel engines drive C.E.C. generators, and each develop 10.5 MW of electrical power at 10,000 volts. Each engine weighs approximately 120 tons.

http://www.qe2.org.uk/engine.html

die_6.gif

tonks said:
yeah..i know, but this is a cruiseship not a carrier...is it efficient enough to warrant the cost in this case?

Even if they were they wouldn't use them i guess because of passenger concern..this is after all a cruiseship, not modded enough to withstand an attack that could otherwise rupture the core.

Also the word nuclear scares the Passengers.

I remember staying the night with my scout troop on the USS Pampanito, a WWII diesel-powered submarine in San Francisco. If you've ever seen the movie "Down Periscope" with Kelsey Grammer, that submarine is the Pampanito. I was looking at the tachometer for one of the engines (diesel with two pistons per cylinder) and it redlines at something like 300 or 400 rpm. For comparison, most cars idle at 600-900 rpm.

Sharky said:
Giant ships require giant engines.

Note the staircase on the side of the engine. The biggest engine I could find was a 14 cylinder diesel engine that is 85 feet long, 36 feet wide, and weighs 2300 tons. It produces 108,000 HP at 102 RPM.

Wartsila-Sulzer Engines

i need one of those for my sable! :D

Are the principles of the internal combustion engine basically the same with an engine that size? Where are the Glow Plugs? :lloyd:

I was on a cruise ship this summer and I was amazed at how we effortlessly cruised the ocean.

The one I went on was the biggest and newest Cruise ship ... until this one...!

Cheese said:
Big ship....do you think if someone fell overboard they'd even realise?
They'd probably realize they fell overboard when they hit the water ,until then they more than likely just figured they'd learned to fly. :D

A.B.Normal said:
Its the overly bored men you have to worry about ,we get into all kinds of trouble :nerd:

Well, some of your parts don't seem all that bored to me mister.....mmm, maybe that's the part that could get you in serious trouble eh? :winnkiss:

Back