what do you do ...

Originally posted by PuterTutor
It always amazed me that people that live like that could even afford ceramic tile.
I hardly ever do ceramic. Mostly marble...and some of those rich people can really be assholes. I almost did a courtesy reformat :D for one guy who was pissing me right off, but he never got far enough away from his computer for me to get away with it.

Did one job at the Lake of the Ozarks, guys name was Les Hassle, Had hallways going off of rooms at 30 degree angles, and argued that we charged him too much because when he measured, he only came up with 3000 feet, and we charged him for 3200.

Sounds to me like he got a deal. Any footage on a diagonal typically has 20% more waste anyway.
Sometimes ya just gotta point out to these people, that their problem reading a tape measure most likely stems from having their head up their ass.:D

Originally posted by *Q*
Sounds to me like he got a deal. Any footage on a diagonal typically has 20% more waste anyway.
Sometimes ya just gotta point out to these people, that their problem reading a tape measure most likely stems from having their head up their ass.:D

Ugh. I used to finish drywall. Did a house for a guy one time, him and his brother did the hanging. They hired a drywall contractor, though, to do the finishing and texturing, and he brought me in to take care of the finishing. Instead of hanging across the windows and doors and cutting them out, the brothers pieced in everything. That meant that every freaking window (and there were tons of them) and every freaking door had two joints over it, and the windows had two under them as well. There were walls less than 6' long that had butt joints in them. In short, the hanging was a bloody mess. In spite of their misguided efforts to save sheetrock, they had a 12' trailer piled high with scrap.

The house was in this co-op area inhabited by the usual array of leftists. Power to the workers, and all that... Now let me tell you what this idiot tried to do to me. He hauled his scrap to the dump where it had to be weighed. He then took the weight of his scrap and calculated how many sheets of rock it would make, and subtracted that amount from the total board count. Since I was being paid by the board, I was set to lose a substantial amount of money. Fortunately, I discovered where he had done his math on the wall. He had told me how much the scrap weighed, so I was able to figure out what he was doing.

I raised a fuss with the guy who hired me, and he explained to the man that we get paid for the board count, not the net weight of what ends up on the wall. If the house had been hung by professionals, it would have taken less rock, but I would've had a whole lot less work to do, too. The contractor finally convinced the guy to pay me for my board count, but he took the lower count on the texturing since the rough hanging didn't cause any extra work there.

After the incident, Mr. Hippy took me aside and told me what a wonderful job I had done and how he wanted to pay me a little extra over what I was getting. He had me give him my address so he could mail me a check. That was 14 years ago, and I'm still waiting on it. :rolleyes:

If the homeowner has been personally involved with the installation.....just run away.

We had a guy try to deduct the footage of the grout joints once.:lol:

Originally posted by *Q*
If the homeowner has been personally involved with the installation.....just run away.

We had a guy try to deduct the footage of the grout joints once.:lol:

:rofl:

It's bad if they hang the drywall themselves, but it's oh so much worse when they try to finish it, and then have to call you in to fix it.

Originally posted by PuterTutor
It's alright, but now that you got me on the subject, ever have one where worms crawled out from under it?

Uhhhhggghhh!!! *puke2*

Forget walking off the job. I think I'd have to find a new profession altogether.

Nice thing about computers - no worms - at least not of the wriggly icky kind.

Originally posted by
I think I've mentioned this before, but in order to up my post count...I'm a bill collector.

I used to repo jewelry. "Knock, knock. Who's there? Just open the door and give me your wedding band."

But I traded that to collect money for the phone company. Which reminds me, I should pay my bill before I have to turn my own service off. :D

Thank god .. cause I'd hate to have to kick your ass like I do the other bill collectors :D

Originally posted by
And from what I see, you like to do a lot of bitchslappin' ;)

yeah . *proud, cocky grin* .. I'm a double X chrome .. major hormonal issues ... I'm allowed ;)

btw, Leslie's become quite a bitch slapper too *so proud of my legacy* :)

It's bad if they hang the drywall themselves

I guess I deserve a good bitchslappin. After 3 years setting tile, I refinished my basement. Did all the studs, hung the drywall, and started the mudding. Then I had to call in a pro. I didn't figure it would be that hard after setting tile, couldn't be too difficult. That guy just stared at me for the longest time.

I respect drywall guys now.

Originally posted by Justintime
Originally posted by Janimal

Nice thing about computers - no worms - at least not of the wriggly icky kind.

yea, but those can be horrible too :(

Horrid yes, icky no. There are days when I really, really, really want to chunck the machines straight off a tall building. But, I'll take horrible over icky any day.

am i the only cowboy here? been doin it about 40 years mixed with some truck drivin and heavy equipment operation. gonna retire in 2 years. goin up to my place in hidden valley and never comin out. well, except to get beer.

Back