What drives you NUTS about internet communication?

i think typing with an accent is acceptable when the text is meant to be read in that accent. like, if i'm speaking of an uproarious moment and i say "OH HAY-ELL NO!" that's supposed to be read in hood-rat-ese specifically, and "oh hell no!" wouldn't suffice.
but i agree it's really anoying when someone exclusively types in an accent. it's like trying to read "The Secret Garden" (i forget which english dialect it is, but it's in there), or even the Hellsing manga (scottish accents are written out)

people popping gum and chewing on hard or crunchy food!!!

This one commercial for some cereal features a guy who sits and chews it drives me insane!!!

A thing that drive me nuts on the net is when people correct a minor spelling error and compeltely ignore what your saying.

I never got bothered by all the misspelling and bad grammar and what not. Maybe I just don't care enough. I only cared that I myself used good grammar and spelling. The only thing that ever bothered me was when it got so bad I couldn't even decipher it. :p Ok so I tried typing this while watching a movie. And I got so distracted, I forgot what I was even supposed to be pissing and moaning about.

Ohh! What drives me nuts about internet communication... I guess what drives me nuts... um... well... I guess I just don't care. I don't mean I don't care about the people. I just don't care how they communicate to me. As long as I can understand what they're saying, it's all good. ;)

I don't know if the lack of punctuation, grammar and spelling ability drives me nuts, exactly. I figure you're only as smart as you are, and it's not my job to expect more from you. If, "OTOH," it's clear that you're unaware what grammar, punctuation and spelling even are, you probably shouldn't expect me to take you seriously.

Right there is an example of something I can't understand. OTOH? I know what WTF?! means. :p Actually, that's what annoys me. People making acronyms out of every phrase. I knew quite a few of them years ago, but now quite a few has turned into "The Entire English Language". I can't stand OMFGROFL-speak.

Oh, and a little bit of l33t once in awhile is cool. But I take issue with those who use it exclusively to communicate. I can't understand most of it. much like OTOH... would someone tell me what that means?

tonksy said:
What's this &amp thing I see from time to time?

& = & in HTML

It is most likely a bug in one of the many the migration process the board have gone under.

tonksy said:
m'kay...so I'm not meant to understand.

I can explain :D

You might know that pages are written in a language called HTML and some symbols are reserved (like &). My guess is that when the board was getting translated from one system to another (e.g. phpBB to vBulletin), the translator found & within the text and had a bug that made it translate it to HTML instead of leaving it as it was.

So instead of having & (appears on screen as &) now it became & and appears on your screen as &

Hope is clear enough :confuse3:

¿Hey Luis, would it show up as & if the admin turned HTML on in the forum? ¿Sorry, total geek question, huh? I'm building a phpBB forum for the TN Nurses Assn. district that my lovely wife is president of.

;)

The problem only applies to old posts (not made with the current board system). At uni I have phpBB in one of the servers and it works just fine.

Enabling HTML can be risky, I wouldn't do it.

PS. :lol: @ spanish question marks

Luis G said:
& = & in HTML

It is most likely a bug in one of the many the migration process the board have gone under.

:grinyes:

It's only in older posts that have been upgraded

& = ampersand (in case you didn't know what it's called)

HAHAHA I saw this on the front page and wondered who made the thread...then I realized "Gonz" wasn't part of the title :D

Luis G said:
The problem only applies to old posts (not made with the current board system). At uni I have phpBB in one of the servers and it works just fine.

Enabling HTML can be risky, I wouldn't do it.

PS. :lol: @ spanish question marks
I wasn't going to, just curious in a geeky sort of way. :D

Thought you'd like the "¿?"

Back