What is going on?

Cerise

Cerise

Nutbar isn't worried; he has math and Allah on his side.

TEHRAN -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has sought to justify his confidence the United States will not attack Iran, saying the proof comes from his mathematical skills as an engineer and faith in God, the press reported Monday.

"I tell them: 'I am an engineer, and I am a master in calculation and tabulation.

"I draw up tables. For hours, I write out different hypotheses. I reject, I reason. I reason with planning, and I make a conclusion. They cannot make problems for Iran.'" http://www.metimes.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20070903-040801-2847r

Cerise

Don't look now, perhaps someone spoke too soon....

Or not.

Proof is in the pudding, puddin'. We go from:

RAMADI - The U.S. military has lost control over the volatile al-Anbar province, Iraqi police and residents say.

The area to the west of Baghdad includes Fallujah, Ramadi, and other towns that have seen the worst of military occupation, and the strongest resistance. http://www.antiwar.com

to the CiC today paying a visit to al-Anbar province:

capt.8f81c42b7e2c4a7380f0e34ee68ef200.us_iraq_bush_irqd133.jpg

AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq (CNN) -- President Bush made a surprise visit to an Iraqi air base Monday, saying fewer U.S. forces may be able to maintain security at its current level.

Bush met earlier with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki. He also met with Anbar tribal leaders hailing their cooperation with U.S. forces as a success in fighting al Qaeda in Iraq.

"The level of violence is down, local governments are meeting again, police are in control of the city streets and normal life is returning," said Bush.

The president credited Anbar citizens who "rejected the dark vision of al Qaeda" and "organized themselves and they took on the terrorists."

"The result was that many local leaders who had once fought against our forces began to fight alongside our forces and against al Qaeda," Bush said.

"They didn't like idea of murderers deciding their fate," he said.

During a rally later for more than 600 American troops at the base, Bush warned members of Congress who might be anticipating quick reductions in U.S. forces.

"Those decisions will be based on a calm assessment by our military commanders on the conditions on the ground, not reaction by Washington politicians to poll results in the media," said Bush. "In other words, when we begin to draw down troops from Iraq, it will be from a position of strength and success, not from the position of fear and failure." http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/09/03/bush.iraq/

Don't forget: what's good for America is bad for the left ;)

2minkey

bootlicker
hmmmm if "maintain security at its current level" is acceptable then we should be all set.

but a friend of mine working as a contractor just left al asad. she spent most of her time in a bunker. she didn't leave the base.

sounds pretty safe to me. *cough*

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
hmmmm if "maintain security at its current level" is acceptable then we should be all set.

but a friend of mine working as a contractor just left al asad. she spent most of her time in a bunker. she didn't leave the base.

sounds pretty safe to me. *cough*

Sounds about right. Everything except the 'bunker' thing. The time I spent, and will spend, in Iraq is pretty much the same. If I go 'outside the wire', I'm either in an armed and armored vehicle, on an armed patrol, or on the way out on an airplane. Most of the people I ran into were pretty friendly. Some genuine and others just trying to get information. As much as the media would like you to believe, there aren't insurgents around every corner. What you're basically talking about is a couple thousand people willing to kill anyone to get their objective.