What is personal responsibility?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Personal responsibility means that the choices you make are yours alone. Nobody forces you and, if you take the time to look, nobody is tricking you into doing something. It means that, unless there is gross negligence, anything that happens to you, for good or for bad, is because of you. We need to take back what is ours, and stop giving the government control over every facet of our lives. What brought this on? This article on health issues. Folks want to start talking 'slippery slope' over non-issues such as gay marriage, but they don't realize that gay marriage is just a front for something larger...much larger. It's about making choices and living with those choices you make...good, bad, or otherwise...and not inflicting results you don't like on the rest of society.

personal responsibility it taking action for your job(duty), and facing up to your mistakes.

freako104 said:
personal responsibility it taking action for your job(duty), and facing up to your mistakes.

It's deeper than that, freako. Every day people make decisions/choices that may, or may not, work. If you face up to your failures, instead of blaming somebody else, then you have personal responsibility. If someone else is always at fault, then you have no personal responsibility. Too many of us leave it up to others to make the 'right' decisions for us, rather than taking responsibility for our own actions.

Wow. This really is becoming a big problem. This one just sends chills down my spine.
At a recent public health conference, nutrition activist Margo Wootan said, “we’ve got to move beyond ‘personal responsibility.’” Activist Skip Spitzer said responsibility was little more than “a cultural construct.” The largest organization of trial lawyers recently advised its members to weed out jurors who show a “personal responsibility bias.”

How long before murder isn't really your fault, but societys in general?

PuterTutor said:
Wow. This really is becoming a big problem. This one just sends chills down my spine.

How long before murder isn't really your fault, but societys in general?

Indeed. I've been saying it for years. Most folks won't even notice if it happens, though. They'll be too busy congratulating themselves about how they now have control over something, when the control is actually over their right to choose.

This seems to fall back into the punishment/reward aspects of GVT.

If you take responsibility for all of your actions and their repurcussions...good by you.

If companies try to punish you for certain actions (which they deem negative) or reward you for others (which they deem positive)...they are effectivly ruling over you and trying to force you to behave how they want you to behave.

The same thing goes for GVT. Everyone knows that being overweight is a bad thing for your health. It's also a drain on the health-care. It's more expensive to deal with the problems that crop up from people who are overweight/smokers/drug-users etc...than it is for the average joe. Before...it wasn't an issue...it was your personal responsibility to deal with your own weight problems. Now...so many people are overweight that it's beginning to financially impact the GVT. This is where the GVT steps in ans say "Enough....we can't afford this any more...there's no sign of people taking responsibility for their own healths, so we'd better do if for them..or its going to bankrupt us."

It's a money issue. Do you really think that the GVT cares if you're fat? You're still a voter...it's just that now, you're a voter who costs more to maintain.

DaBish said:
If companies try to punish you for certain actions (which they deem negative) or reward you for others (which they deem positive)...they are effectivly ruling over you and trying to force you to behave how they want you to behave.

Spoken like a true commie.

If said company wishes to be in my employ thewy'll do what I wish or I will consume elsewhere.

If said company is my employer then I, as an American, have the right to chose to no longer remain in their employ.

I have done both by the way. (stopped consuming at X & stopped working for X)

I might also add that if you were concerned about it you would find out what a company expects from you before going to work for them.

MrBishop said:
This seems to fall back into the punishment/reward aspects of GVT.

If you take responsibility for all of your actions and their repurcussions...good by you.

The same thing goes for GVT. Everyone knows that being overweight is a bad thing for your health. It's also a drain on the health-care. It's more expensive to deal with the problems that crop up from people who are overweight/smokers/drug-users etc...than it is for the average joe. Before...it wasn't an issue...it was your personal responsibility to deal with your own weight problems. Now...so many people are overweight that it's beginning to financially impact the GVT. This is where the GVT steps in ans say "Enough....we can't afford this any more...there's no sign of people taking responsibility for their own healths, so we'd better do if for them..or its going to bankrupt us."

It's a money issue. Do you really think that the GVT cares if you're fat? You're still a voter...it's just that now, you're a voter who costs more to maintain.

It costs the govrnment money because the government stepped in and said that overweight people/smokers/drug-users/etc shouldn't have to pay more for health insurance because of their pre-existing health problems. They, through their lawyers, petitioned the government under the 'civil rights' clause and got the government to buy off on the issue as being 'unfair'. Nobody forced them to live an 'unhealthy' lifestyle, but they sure as hell wanted to be treated just like those who maintained good health.

Gonz said:
Spoken like a true commie.

If said company wishes to be in my employ thewy'll do what I wish or I will consume elsewhere.

If said company is my employer then I, as an American, have the right to chose to no longer remain in their employ.

I have done both by the way. (stopped consuming at X & stopped working for X)

Got medical insurance Gonz? They ask you to take a physical? Ask you if you smoked? DO they charge you more for your medical insurance because you smoked? Do you think that they'd charge you more if you were overweight? Do you really have a choice anymore? Most insurance firms will start punishing obesity with higher rates...same goes for smokers.

Plan on flying anywhere? All airlines now charge more for people weighing over 250lbs. Punishement? Sure.

MrBishop said:
Got medical insurance Gonz? They ask you to take a physical? Ask you if you smoked? DO they charge you more for your medical insurance because you smoked? Do you think that they'd charge you more if you were overweight? Do you really have a choice anymore? Most insurance firms will start punishing obesity with higher rates...same goes for smokers.

Plan on flying anywhere? All airlines now charge more for people weighing over 250lbs. Punishement? Sure.

Punishment? :lol: It's called weight and balance. I smoke, and I don't expect others to pay for me. Anybody who has a habit like smoking, overeating, illegal drugs, or alcoholism is not as healthy as those who do not have those habits. Why should those who are healthy have to pay for those who are not healthy? The government already ruled that an overweight person should not have to pay higher health insurance rates than those who are at a healthy weight. My life insurance is more expensive because I smoke. I don't complain because I know why. The responsibility to change my habits is on me. Society shouldn't have to pay because I chose to smoke, so why should society have to pay because Joe Shmoe overeats?

BTW...Weight and Balance are critical to an aircraft. They also affect the flight's bottom line when it comes to profit. The more butts in seats, the more money you make. If you are large enough for 2 seats, then you should have to pay for 2. Period. It's not about being offensive, either. I'm sure that person knows, already, that they are overweight, and should be prepared to pay the price. I, personally, had to endure sitting next to a 300#+ person on a flight, and it was the most uncomfortable I've been in my life. They seats are cramped to begin with, and I pay for my space just like they do, so why should I have to 'suffer'?

MrBishop said:

Yes. No. No. No. No. Yes. True-key word being MOST.

No. I am boycotting the airline industry (well, actually airports) The do? Wow. I'll be sure to stay at or under 245.

COWBOY IN A GAY BAR

A COWBOY WALKS INTO A GAY BAR, AFTER TAKING TWO STEPS IN, HE
REALIZES IT'S A GAY BAR.?? ?WHAT THE HECK, " HE SAYS To
HIMSELF, " I REALLY WANT A DRINK."? WHEN THE GAY WAITER
APPROACHES, HE SAYS TO THE COWBOY,? "WHAT'S THE NAME OF YOUR
WILLY?" THE COWBOY SAYS, WHAT? "WAITER SAYS I'M SORRY BuT I CAN'T SERVE
YOU UNTIL YOU TELL ME THE NAME OF YOUR WILLY. MINE FOR INSTANCE IS
CALLED NIKE, FOR THE SLOGAN, 'JUST DO IT.' NOW THAT GUY DOWN
AT THE END OF THE BAR CALLS HIS SNICKERS, BECAUSE 'IT REALLY
SATISFIES.'
THE COWBOY LOOKS DUMBFOUNDED, SO THE BARTENDER TELLS HIM HE
WILL GIVE HIM A SECOND TO THINK IT OVER.?? SO THE COWBOY ASKS
THE MAN TO HIS LEFT WHO IS SIPPING ON A BEER, "HEY BUD, WHAT'S
THE NAME OF YOURS?"
THE MAN LOOKS BACK AND SAYS WITH A SMILE, "TIMEX."? THE
THIRSTY COWBOY ASKS, "WHY TIMEX?" THE FELLA PROUDLY REPLIES,
"CAUSE IT TAKES A LICKIN'AND KEEPS ON TICKIN!"
A LITTLE SHAKEN, THE COWBOY TURNS TO THE TWO FELLA'S ON HIS
RIGHT WHO JUST HAPPENS TO BE SHARING A FRUITY MARGARITA AND
SAYS, "SO, WHAT DO YOU GUYS CALL YOURS?" THE FIRST MAN TURNS
TO HIM AND PROUDLY EXCLAIMS, FORD, "QUALITY IS JOB ONE." "THEN
HE ADDS, "HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY?"
THE GUY NEXT TO HIM THAN SAYS, "I CALL MINE CHEVY.....'LIKE A
ROCK"? AND GIVES A WINK!
EVEN MORE SHAKEN, THE COWBOY HAS TO THINK FOR A MOMENT BEFORE
HE COMES UP WITH A NAME FOR HIS MANHOOD.?? FINALLY, HE TURNS
TO THE BARTENDER AND EXCLAIMS, "THE NAME OF MY WILLY IS
SECRET. NOW GIVE ME A BEER."?THE BARTENDER BEGINS TO POUR THE
COWBOY A BEER, BUT WITH A PUZZLED LOOK ASKS, "WHY SECRET?"
THE COWBOY SAYS, " BECAUSE IT'S STRONG ENOUGH FOR MAN, BUT
MADE FOR A WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you know that, in certain states, obesity can get you a handicapped parking permit? I'm not joking, either...

Gato_Solo said:
Folks want to start talking 'slippery slope' over non-issues such as gay marriage, but they don't realize that gay marriage is just a front for something larger...much larger.
How did gay marriage tie into this article? What is it a front for?

Back