What makes a joke funny?

Sharky

(LOL @ Squiggy) :D

Funny/Not Funny?

Six retired Floridians were playing poker in the condo clubhouse when Meyerwitz loses $500 on a single hand, clutches his chest and drops dead at the table.
Showing respect for their fallen comrade, the other five continue playing standing up.

Finkelstein looks around and ask, "So, who's gonna tell his wife?"
They draw straws. Goldberg picks the short one.

They tell him to be discreet, be gentle, don't make a bad situation any worse.
"Discreet? I'm the most discreet person you'll ever meet. Discretion is my middle name. Leave it to me."

Goldberg goes over to the Meyerwitz apartment and knocks on the door. The wife answers and asks what he wants.
Goldberg declares: "Your husband just lost $500 and is afraid to come home."

"Tell him to drop dead!" says the wife.
"I'll go tell him." says Goldberg.

Mare

If there was an outbreak of the clap, would that be considered applause? Hmmmmmmmm-dunno-think so? :lol2:

Inkara1

Inkara1 said:
In general, what makes a joke funny is who is telling it. If I'm telling it, it's not funny. If anyone else is telling it, even if it's the exact same joke, it's funny. I haven't been able to figure out why.
This hasn't changed all that much.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Hmmm...What makes a joke funny...

1. Any joke must have an ingredient known to the audience.
2. While brevity is assumed to be a necessary ingredient, not all jokes are brief (sorry, Rob...)
3. Jokes must be poignant...especially if they are political jokes.
4. While making fun of social mores can be hilarious, self-depricating humor tends to be funniest. Why is not important, unless you happen to be telling your joke in English, when the audience only knows Cantonese. ;)
5. Know your audience. If you're the only one laughing at your joke, there are two other things you should be doing. Finding the nearest exit, and thinking up another joke to throw the audience off their guard while you make your escape...:D
6. If your joke requires a long lead-in, it had better be funny. If it's not, refer to number 5.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
tonksy said:
i don't recall what had my panties in a twist...anyone?

fav_strip1_full.jpg

PrincessLissa

Three men are running. Two of them run into a bar. The third one ducks.

:rofl4:

I love this joke. It makes fun of no one and still makes me laugh. But then again, I am eaisly amused.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
racist sexist homophobic hillbilly-baiting eurocentric stereotypes based on reality

BB

hillbilly baiting?

*innocent whistle*

who are blonds anyway? Dutch settlers or something???

A base in reality, as Gonz says is a strong factor i'd say - but then surrealism has its joys too...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
A skeleton walks into a bar and says, "Gimme a beer. And a mop."

Funny, and not offending anyone. :p

*giggles at the skeleton joke*

Inkara1

So a pirate walks into a bar, with an eye patch and a hook. The bartender asks him about it, so the pirate says...

"Arr... got in a fight with an alligator. He bit off me hand."

So the bartender is impressed, but still wonders about the eye patch and asked where his eye went.

"Arr... bird shit in me eye."

"That sucks, but... why would that ruin your eye completely?"

"Arr... was me first day with the hook."