What's wrong with this picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a news story from my local area, that I happen to know quite a lot about. This is not be any stretch of the imagination even much of a glimpse at what really happened. See if you can fill in the blanks a bit before I fill them in with the real deal.

KOMO 4 News (Seattle) said:
Arsonist admits setting condo fire in fit of jealousy

070316_port_ludlow_fire.jpg

By KOMO Staff

TACOMA -- An arsonist admitted to investigators Friday he torched a condominium building in Port Ludlow nearly five years ago as part of a jealousy-fueled revenge plot.

Kevin Lee Graesser, 32, pleaded guilty to arson charges and will be sentenced to between 11 and 13 1/2 years in prison next January.

According to the plea agreement signed Friday, Graesser admitted he went to the Admiralty One Condominiums in Port Ludlow on Dec. 2, 2004 to seek revenge against a man living there who he believed was romantically involved with his girlfriend.

Investigators said Phillip Downey, who had been staying with his grandmother, Vivian Hayter, attended Narcotics Anonymous meetings with Graesser. Downey told investigators Graesser feared he was trying to sleep with Graesser's girlfriend and began threatening him months prior. He said Graesser had slashed the tires of cars that are linked to Downey in days prior to the fire.

Graesser told investigators Friday he arrived at the condo complex around 4 a.m. on that December day and found a car he recognized as one Downey sometimes drove parked in the carport for one of the buildings. ATF experts say the man started a fire in the passenger compartment of the car, which quickly spread to the carport and then into the main building.

A resident in the building heard a car horn and looked out, saw the flames, and got everyone else out of the building safely. That building burned to the ground in less than an hour, and the raging inferno heavily damaged two adjacent condo buildings. Damage was estimated at over $4 million.

In the plea agreement, Graesser admitted that after the fire, he told other people he had "flipped out" and "burned the guy's condo down" in "Ludlow" because his girlfriend was cheating on him, and that he "kind of evicted" the man who was the object of his scorn.

Agents said the man failed in his revenge plot on multiple counts in that the car and the condo were actually owned by Hayter, and Downey wasn't even at the condo building that night.

Graesser was arrested in Alaska on March 7, 2007. Trial was to begin later this month.

Mind you I did a bit of searching and this story was the most thorough coverage there was of it and it doesn't cover what I think is the most important point.

It was a serious question actually. The key element of the story has been omitted and I think purposely and it is a damn shame....Should be pretty damn obvious.

Inkara1

Would it be obvious to a complete outsider who knows nothing about the case besides what's put into the story? I'm sure it's obvious to you since you already know a lot about the case.

m_f97ec2173e6713fbd5e816f280c4a9b3.jpg

This is him, "Scarface" Kevin Graesser.

It ought to be obvious and this is a part of the problem, and part of why it isn't so obvious. I'll just tell you. I actually know him quite well and consider him a friend and so does Jody. Here are the clues:

1. The logic that went into planning this
  2. The paranoia it would take to give him motive
  3. The lack of restraint to do such a drastic act with all the potential deaths it could cause with zero thought about the possible consequences
  4. The bragging to folks about what he had done
  5. The time of day which this crime was committed

Two simple words explain all of this; methamphetamine addiction. This occurred several years ago and I remember clearly hearing him brag about having done it. He was WAY off the deep end. We all told him we didn't want to know and we all knew his loose lips would sink him. You know the thing about Kevin is he is a really deeply compelling person. You either love the guy or hate him, but most folks love him. He has a lot of charm is near genius level intelligence and is a genuinely good person who had a hard childhood. He also has some genetic disease where he doesn't heal properly after being injured, something about "connective tissues" that I don't know much of the details about, except that is why we called him scarface; his forehead is a mess.

I also know his ex wife who was the woman involved in the whole deal, and have met the intended victim. She is now clean and sober and the funny thing is, at the time she was cheating, but not with the guy Kev was after! I have had contact with him from the time he fled to Alaska and since he has been in Federal prison. Because of the pending case and the communication being monitored he always maintained his innocence but I am 99% sure he knew I knew and remembered telling me after it happened. I always wanted the chance to tell him to get the best plea deal he can get and plead guilty. He was clean and sober, working and had a life in Alaska. The thing is he was dead guilty and he bought and paid for this and I will tell him the next time I get the chance.

He used to fight a lot, in fact I guess he has had a lot of fights inside the holding facility and that is why our communication has been so spotty. It was a very rough crowd we ran with in the dope days. It was him and another guy, now in jail too, who kidnapped that future NA sponsee of mine with me. We plotted murders, shot a guy with an arrow, lots of BAD stuff. I was mostly peripherally involved, but I was involved a lot and not proud of it. One night he and I nearly had at it and I had a tire iron in my pocket and every intention of spilling some brains, but thankfully it was broken up. Before that, part of the same dispute, he had strangled me from the back seat of my car while I was driving, and I barely managed to get the car off the busy road, and wrestle my way free.

The thing is, is that all that madness was not who either of us were. That is why we both have such great and loyal friends who loved us then and love us still now. Perhaps it can be argued that that stuff was within us, but clearly meth was the key to unlocking our potential. Imagine that! He almost got away with this because all the folks he bragged to were known meth users with low credibility.

It's sad that the media shields folks from that ugly truth, they should freely include the details of the meth abuse. People should know how bad it can get and how fast. How it unlocks all the negative potential in the person using it and the depravity that follows. I am all for decriminalizing drug abuse and treating it as a health and safety issue. The illegality does nothing to curb the problem and actually makes it much worse.

All the same though, if you do more than buy or sell meth, commit violent crimes, meth should never be any excuse and you should be doing hard time. The addiction is a disease or disability or health concern as I see it, but crimes related to it should in no way be mitigated by meth abuse.

Damn it Kev-Dawg! :banghead:

God bless and keep you bro!

ResearchMonkey

m_f97ec2173e6713fbd5e816f280c4a9b3.jpg

This is him, "Scarface" Kevin Graesser.

It ought to be obvious and this is a part of the problem, and part of why it isn't so obvious. I'll just tell you. I actually know him quite well and consider him a friend and so does Jody. Here are the clues:

1. The logic that went into planning this
  2. The paranoia it would take to give him motive
  3. The lack of restraint to do such a drastic act with all the potential deaths it could cause with zero thought about the possible consequences
  4. The bragging to folks about what he had done
  5. The time of day which this crime was committed

Two simple words explain all of this; methamphetamine addiction. This occurred several years ago and I remember clearly hearing him brag about having done it. He was WAY off the deep end. We all told him we didn't want to know and we all knew his loose lips would sink him. You know the thing about Kevin is he is a really deeply compelling person. You either love the guy or hate him, but most folks love him. He has a lot of charm is near genius level intelligence and is a genuinely good person who had a hard childhood. He also has some genetic disease where he doesn't heal properly after being injured, something about "connective tissues" that I don't know much of the details about, except that is why we called him scarface; his forehead is a mess.

I also know his ex wife who was the woman involved in the whole deal, and have met the intended victim. She is now clean and sober and the funny thing is, at the time she was cheating, but not with the guy Kev was after! I have had contact with him from the time he fled to Alaska and since he has been in Federal prison. Because of the pending case and the communication being monitored he always maintained his innocence but I am 99% sure he knew I knew and remembered telling me after it happened. I always wanted the chance to tell him to get the best plea deal he can get and plead guilty. He was clean and sober, working and had a life in Alaska. The thing is he was dead guilty and he bought and paid for this and I will tell him the next time I get the chance.

He used to fight a lot, in fact I guess he has had a lot of fights inside the holding facility and that is why our communication has been so spotty. It was a very rough crowd we ran with in the dope days. It was him and another guy, now in jail too, who kidnapped that future NA sponsee of mine with me. We plotted murders, shot a guy with an arrow, lots of BAD stuff. I was mostly peripherally involved, but I was involved a lot and not proud of it. One night he and I nearly had at it and I had a tire iron in my pocket and every intention of spilling some brains, but thankfully it was broken up. Before that, part of the same dispute, he had strangled me from the back seat of my car while I was driving, and I barely managed to get the car off the busy road, and wrestle my way free.

The thing is, is that all that madness was not who either of us were. That is why we both have such great and loyal friends who loved us then and love us still now. Perhaps it can be argued that that stuff was within us, but clearly meth was the key to unlocking our potential. Imagine that! He almost got away with this because all the folks he bragged to were known meth users with low credibility.

It's sad that the media shields folks from that ugly truth, they should freely include the details of the meth abuse. People should know how bad it can get and how fast. How it unlocks all the negative potential in the person using it and the depravity that follows. I am all for decriminalizing drug abuse and treating it as a health and safety issue. The illegality does nothing to curb the problem and actually makes it much worse.

All the same though, if you do more than buy or sell meth, commit violent crimes, meth should never be any excuse and you should be doing hard time. The addiction is a disease or disability or health concern as I see it, but crimes related to it should in no way be mitigated by meth abuse.

Damn it Kev-Dawg! :banghead:

God bless and keep you bro!

Our mistake, we all should have known this, obviously.

Winky

Edit all you like (edited to see how dumb it looks), that is why RM quoted you ya
go play with the neighbor ladies laptop, like you'd have a clue? foo

ResearchMonkey

He expects to be yelled at yet again, for being a hate filled idiot that types faster than his brain works. He is saying that he's sorry but hes not sorry. And that if you can't grasp the world as he demand you see it, .... you should accidentally blow your fucking head off.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.