Which right is right?

rrfield said:
Were your jobs also your home?

No,but if his room and board is subsidised by his employer then its part of his.If he isn't being remunerated than why doesn't he simply resign and then he can hold whatever meetings he wants.

A.B.Normal said:
No,but if his room and board is subsidised by his employer then its part of his.If he isn't being remunerated than why doesn't he simply resign and then he can hold whatever meetings he wants.

That's all I'm trying to say. I can virtually guarantee that something in his job description involves abiding by the rules of university employees and comporting himself in a seemly manner in accordance with university guidelines. Bottom line is if they pay the rent (even part of the rent) they can say yea or nay, as they have. If he doesn't like it he can quit.

University of Wisconsin in Eau Claire

State School. Government financed & run. Therefore, bound to the State & Federal Constitution. We know the federal version, let's look at the state version.

PREAMBLE
We, the people of Wisconsin, grateful to Almighty God for
our freedom
, in order to secure its blessings, form a more perfect
government, insure domestic tranquility and promote the general
welfare, do establish this constitution.

Freedom of worship; liberty of conscience; state
religion; public funds. SECTION 18.
[As amended Nov. 1982]
The right of every person to worship Almighty God according
to the dictates of conscience shall never be infringed; nor shall
any person be compelled to attend, erect or support any place of
worship, or to maintain any ministry, without consent; nor shall
any control of, or interference with, the rights of conscience be
permitted
, or any preference be given by law to any religious
establishments or modes of worship; nor shall any money be
drawn from the treasury for the benefit of religious societies, or
religious or theological seminaries. [1979 J.R. 36, 1981 J.R. 29,
vote Nov. 1982]

So, this man may freely worship, as he chooses, when he chooses & how he chooses.

And y'all never saw a drunk RA?

C'mon.

He is hurting absolutely no one. And I'm still waiting for a reply about the D&D comparison...

SouthernN'Proud said:
And y'all never saw a drunk RA?

C'mon.

He is hurting absolutely no one. And I'm still waiting for a reply about the D&D comparison...

Saw one get canned for being "drunk and disorderly' too. To be fair, he was exposing himself out the window, but technically he was in his own room. Except that it's not his own room, is it? Everyone is taking a cut and dried university ruling and emotionally charging it simply because the subject involves religion. The university is within their rights under the purview of separation of church and state. Sorry Gonz, it's an abstract concept. You probably don't approve.

What if it were D&D (not a religion, BTW)? The university does not permit D&D playing by RAs in their room. Fair? Maybe not. Them's the rules, bunky.

D&D is not protected & specifically adressed by multiple Constitutions.

If I lived in that dorm & Bob was constantly proselytizing, I'd bitch for him to shut up, whether he was an employee, full or part time. If he invited people to his room for a little laying of hands, who the hell are any of us to stop him?

Am I allowed....hell if I know, I don't.

A.B.Normal said:
I've never had a job where even on my day off I could go in and be like "any other customer" ,I still had to reflect the standards of the business i.e. I could go in drunk etc...When your an employee there are certain expectations on or off the clock when your on company property.these are usually explained when you start working there.

And where have you worked? Convenience store? Factory? Blue collar? White collar? Everywhere I've ever worked, I don't go in in my 'off-duty' time, anyway. Most people don't. The point here is that he is in his domicile. As long as what he is doing isn't illegal, he can do as he pleases during his off time. The university has no business telling him that his voluntary meetings shoud be stopped.

And that's where we disagree. The real question has nothing to do with religion (or D&D). I'm with Gonz there, "get away from me bible-thumper." Does the university have the right to tell this guy, who's domicile they provide, whether or not he can hold certain meetings. I say yes, you say no. :shrug: The rest is just their interpretation of how to apply the separation of church and state, which I also agree with but is not the real issue. Again, if they had been a bit more circumspect about it we probably never would have known.

For the sake of clarity here...

If the dude in question was A) soliciting students to attend; B) pressuring students who did not attend; C) neglecting his job duties in favor of this activity, or D) in any way showing preferential treatment to those wo attended...then I would agree with the sanction. There is zero evidence that any of that took place.

I brought up D&D as an example. I played for years; I know it is not a religion. It could just as easily been Monopoly, stamp collecting, or fantasy baseball.

The emotional charging of the decision works both ways. My premise that no one would have their panties in a bunch had it been fantasy baseball applies here.

The State, dba the university, does compensate this feller in the form of his domicile for work done. He is undoubtedly expected to follow the SAME rules as any other dorm resident. When he is not on duty, that is precisely what he is...another dorm resident, with the same expectation of privacy, liberty, and respect of property as the rest of the residents. If he wants to hold Bible study with some friends, he should not be stopped just because it's a Bible, OR because sometimes he's an RA.

Holy mis-interpretation Batman!

For the sake of clarity... ;)
Every Tuesday last school year, Lance Steiger took a Bible to the basement of his dormitory at UW-Eau Claire and led a small group of friends in a discussion about a particular chapter or verse.
1. Not in his domicile after all. In the basement of his dorm. One can only assume some kind of lounge or informal meeting area.
SnP said:
If the dude in question was A) soliciting students to attend; B) pressuring students who did not attend; C) neglecting his job duties in favor of this activity, or D) in any way showing preferential treatment to those wo attended...then I would agree with the sanction. There is zero evidence that any of that took place.
Steiger, a resident assistant and a junior at the time, said he was never told he could not lead a Bible study in the dorm where he worked helping students adjust to college classes and campus life. Steiger, a resident assistant and a junior at the time, said he was never told he could not lead a Bible study in the dorm where he worked helping students adjust to college classes and campus life.
Umm... "zero" evidence? Granted it could be interpreted either way, but it sounds to me like he was soliciting them to attend. Also sounds like he was using his position of authority incorrectly.
The university forbids resident assistants from hosting religious or political activities in the dorms where they work to ensure that R.A.'s are accessible to all students, said spokesman Mike Rindo. Resident assistants are essentially state employees. They receive free room and board and a $675-per-semester stipend in exchange for nurturing and counseling dorm residents.

"R.A.s are free to engage in these activities as long as they are not doing it in an environment where they have supervisory roles over other students," Rindo said.
Makes perfect sense to me. He broke the rules, they told him to quit. It's his responsibility to know the rules. Again, well within their rights.

Original Story Note: Requires free registration.

Edit: forgot this part:
The issue caught the attention Thursday of U.S. Rep. Mark Green (R-Green Bay), a UW-Eau Claire alumnus.

Green wrote a letter to UW System president Kevin Reilly urging him to investigate policies at other University of Wisconsin campuses and to "rid the UW system of this deplorable mandate."

Who's pressuring whom? Who's using the media to further their agenda? :lol:

chcr said:
Holy mis-interpretation Batman!

For the sake of clarity... ;)

1. Not in his domicile after all. In the basement of his dorm. One can only assume some kind of lounge or informal meeting area.

Umm... "zero" evidence? Granted it could be interpreted either way, but it sounds to me like he was soliciting them to attend. Also sounds like he was using his position of authority incorrectly.

Makes perfect sense to me. He broke the rules, they told him to quit. It's his responsibility to know the rules. Again, well within their rights.

Original Story Note: Requires free registration.

Since I refuse to get spammed by that site, I'll ask this one question...

How was his position abused?

Sorry but IMO it's clear he was using his position to pick and choose who would be receptive to attending these meetings. That's abusing his authority. Don't you think so?

chcr said:
Sorry but IMO it's clear he was using his position to pick and choose who would be receptive to attending these meetings. That's abusing his authority. Don't you think so?

It said, in the article I read, that this was voluntary. Nowhere did it say he picked/chose who would attend.

Well, it doesn't specifically say so, but one would assume, given that he had the rules explained to him at the beginning of the semester, that he didn't put up a sign on the student union bulletin board. He likely asked people who on the surface were likely christians (no doubt white, protestant christians at that). Whether or not attendance was voluntary it seems to me a clear abuse of authority.

chcr said:
Well, it doesn't specifically say so, but one would assume, given that he had the rules explained to him at the beginning of the semester, that he didn't put up a sign on the student union bulletin board. He likely asked people who on the surface were likely christians (no doubt white, protestant christians at that). Whether or not attendance was voluntary it seems to me a clear abuse of authority.

That's where you mislead yourself. You're making that assumption, and it's based on...?

chcr said:
Experience.

Ahh...the dreaded experiment of one. :D So, kimosabe, how did the Uni get wind of this person's "illicit religious fervor", if the group was voluntary?

Back