Who do these guys think they are to tax American citizens?

These guys will get away with everything and anything.

Well thank heavens, I’m certain that stops all crimes involving guns.

http://www.rferl.org/content/Intern...e_Considered_During_WHO_Assembly/2044584.html

Brought up in 2008 - still not implemented. I suppose it can be said that it was thought of as an idea for a source of income...but tossed out. Stil useful as a scaremongering tool tho' - where it lives on on the Internet.

Did you check the source? Not just some wacko blogger's ravings.

Also, there is this from ABC News April 27, 2010. A bit closer to home and it doesn't sound like 2008 to me.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/video/government-proposes-internet-tax-10487286

Was that supposed to be a retort to my less than two month old story?

You essentially stated that this was a 2008 issue and Internet mythology. You may have missed the successful attempts top impose taxes on the Internet. This has been coming like a freight train for some time.

Here are a few by date:

2000:

California Tax Policy and the Internet:
Supplements

January 2000
(CA Legislative Analyst's Office)

2004:

Internet Taxes Take Center Stage in Senate
(Fox News)Tuesday, April 27, 2004

2005:

States Move Forward on Internet Sales Tax
By Brian Krebs
washingtonpost.com Staff Writer
Friday, July 1, 2005
(Washington Post)

2008:

The Future of Internet Taxation
Unstoppable fees very likely to spread across the Web
November 26, 2008
(U.S News)

2010:

Coloradans to pay taxes on Web buys
Ritter signs bill affecting candy, Internet purchases
February 25, 2010
(Durango Herald)

The downstream effect? CLICK HERE AND READ

Microsoft exec pitches Internet usage tax to pay for cybersecurity
By Tony Romm -
March 3, 2010
(The Hill)

Internet taxation is on the way
April 2, 2010
(Washington Times)

Kinda reads like time line doesn't it? More to come.

More taxes always results in less revenue.

There are two forms of taxes being discussed here... with a wide gap between them.

One is about paying taxes on items bought online/sold online. Similar to a commercial sales tax..it's the extension of the definition of a 'store' which goes beyond brick and mortar to a click n' mortar type. The main issues here is that items bought online often cross state lines, borders and sometimes, oceans. In addition, individuals (not businesses) selling their crap online is closer to holding a garage sale..the proceeds of which are not taxed.

The 2nd being alluded to is taxing web-access as a service. An additional tax put on your monthly ISP bill to help pay for net security. Some would say that is a reasonable tax, so long as the moneys taken go towards actually securing the web... :shrug:

The ITFA speaks to both
This law bars federal, state and local governments from taxing Internet access and from imposing discriminatory Internet-only taxes such as bit taxes, bandwidth taxes, and email taxes. The law also bars multiple taxes on electronic commerce.

The ITFA speaks to both

This law bars federal, state and local governments from taxing Internet access and from imposing discriminatory Internet-only taxes such as bit taxes, bandwidth taxes, and email taxes. The law also bars multiple taxes on electronic commerce.

I like the way that is worded. I wonder how long it will take to change that wording to:

This law allows federal, state and local governments to tax Internet access and impose discriminatory Internet-only taxes such as bit taxes, bandwidth taxes, and email taxes. The law also allows multiple taxes on electronic commerce.

The Sith must be stopped!

how long does it take for the Rebel Alliance to strike back?

Who gives a flip anymore?

With the silliness exhibited by this government
what idiots feel compelled to abide with this stupidity.

If some wanker in Washington waves his peener about
declaring some silly bullshit who cares?

They have made us all criminals
hell they ARE criminals
Let’s party like its 1999
or 2012 if yer Mayan?

Back