Why I own cats! :D

MrBishop

Mon Jan 2, 6:39 AM ET

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Police aren't sure how else to explain it. But when an officer walked into an apartment Thursday night to answer a 911 call, an orange-and-tan striped cat was lying by a telephone on the living room floor. The cat's owner, Gary Rosheisen, was on the ground near his bed having fallen out of his wheelchair.

Rosheisen said his cat, Tommy, must have hit the right buttons to call 911.
"I know it sounds kind of weird," Officer Patrick Daugherty said, unsuccessfully searching for some other explanation.

Rosheisen said he couldn't get up because of pain from osteoporosis and ministrokes that disrupt his balance. He also wasn't wearing his medical-alert necklace and couldn't reach a cord above his pillow that alerts paramedics that he needs help.

Daugherty said police received a 911 call from Rosheisen's apartment, but there was no one on the phone. Police called back to make sure everything was OK, and when no one answered, they decided to check things out.

That's when Daugherty found Tommy next to the phone.

Rosheisen got the cat three years ago to help lower his blood pressure. He tried to train him to call 911, unsure if the training ever stuck.

The phone in the living room is always on the floor, and there are 12 small buttons — including a speed dial for 911 right above the button for the speaker phone.

"He's my hero," Rosheisen said.
Hello? this is 911.
<Meow!!!>

highwayman said:
You might have something if you could teach that feline to fetch or hiss on comand...

You can train a cat just as easily as you can train a dog. Most people don't because the cat has them fooled into thinking it can't be done. :grinyes:

Gato_Solo said:
You can train a cat just as easily as you can train a dog. Most people don't because the cat has them fooled into thinking it can't be done. :grinyes:
You can train a cat but there are differences. For example, once a dog has learned a trick it is possible to remove the reward at the end. A cat ain't having non of that, you'd better come with a treat.
That being said our cats are almost worthless, only one has redeeming qualities in pest control.

tonksy said:
You can train a cat but there are differences. For example, once a dog has learned a trick it is possible to remove the reward at the end. A cat ain't having non of that, you'd better come with a treat.

:grinno:

Just don't reward every time when training. That way, the cat won't expect a reward every time and may do said trick on their own in hopes of receiving said reward. ;)

tonksy said:
That being said our cats are almost worthless, only one has redeeming qualities in pest control.

They've sure got you snowed, don't they? :D

Yeah, the probably do!

I did forget one other redeeming quality in the kitten, she makes for a great floor cleaner, the little scavenger.

Know what I like about cats? An opened brown paper bag and a cat can provide hours of entertainment...:grinyes:

My family had a cat dial 911 once. Nothing was wrong, though. Both my dad, who answered the door in his robe because it was early in the morning, and the cop were a bit surprised.

Dogs have been dialing 911 for years. Wanna impress me, cat owners, have fluffy run a defibrillator.

Gonz said:
Dogs have been dialing 911 for years. Wanna impress me, cat owners, have fluffy run a defibrillator.

You're joking, right? There are some people that can't do that, even with spoken instruction, and 8 X 10 glossy pictures with arrows an diagrams on the back of each one...

Why I own cats
Nobody owns cats. They stay with you because you feed them and don't annoy them too much. My dogs usually do what I tell them to. The cats do when it suits them. I, on the other hand I'm quite well trained although I believe the cats have another opinion.

Gato_Solo said:
Know what I like about cats? An opened brown paper bag and a cat can provide hours of entertainment...:grinyes:

Tie a plastic grocery bag to their tail. Watch 'em run for hours. Feed 'em peanut butter. They'll spend an hour getting it all off the roof of their mouth - and come looking for more.

Yeah, they're smarter than dogs. Sure.

HomeLAN said:
Tie a plastic grocery bag to their tail. Watch 'em run for hours. Feed 'em peanut butter. They'll spend an hour getting it all off the roof of their mouth - and come looking for more.

Yeah, they're smarter than dogs. Sure.

How about the sound effects? Grab one by the tail and start pulling and listen!!!

HomeLAN said:
...They'll spend an hour getting it all off the roof of their mouth - and come looking for more.
We did that to our dog all the time....she loved it. :D

Yeah, I tend to stop well short of causing them pain. Whatever floats your boat, though, I guess.

My point is that they ain't all that bright, despite the claims I've heard from legions of cat wners over the years.

HomeLAN said:
Yeah, I tend to stop well short of causing them pain. Whatever floats your boat, though, I guess.

My point is that they ain't all that bright, despite the claims I've heard from legions of cat wners over the years.

I've had dealings with both, and find cats and dogs to be on the same level when it comes to intelligence. Cats just tend to get annoyed easier.

One thing I have been thinking...have YOU trained your cat to dial 911 Bish? If not then how is this relevant to why you own cats?

Dogs can be taught to be the ears and/or ears for people with disabilities...my dog is NOT trained to do these things...the fact that it is possible is proof that dogs have intelligence but it can't be used as proof for why *I* own a dog. I own a dog for many reasons and I'm sure you have many reasons for owning cats but if YOUR cats are not trained to dial 911 the fact that some OTHER cat can do it is just a ridiculous reason for owning cats!

Nixy said:
One thing I have been thinking...have YOU trained your cat to dial 911 Bish? If not then how is this relevant to why you own cats?

Dogs can be taught to be the ears and/or ears for people with disabilities...my dog is NOT trained to do these things...the fact that it is possible is proof that dogs have intelligence but it can't be used as proof for why *I* own a dog. I own a dog for many reasons and I'm sure you have many reasons for owning cats but if YOUR cats are not trained to dial 911 the fact that some OTHER cat can do it is just a ridiculous reason for owning cats!

For someone who owns Dogs,thats mighty Catty of you *roooowwrrrr{makes swipe gesture with hand}

A.B.Normal said:
For someone who owns Dogs,thats mighty Catty of you *roooowwrrrr{makes swipe gesture with hand}

When are men gonna get the message that it is NOT ok for them to do this?? :winkkiss:

Back