Winter Blast Brings Snow To West LA

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It saves the gas/pollutants of one big truck. Since local farmers market participants can hardly carry enough to serve hundreds (if not thousands) there isn't much savings.

highway...this IS LA we're talking about. It's called a SigAlert.

spike

It saves the gas/pollutants of one big truck. Since local farmers market participants can hardly carry enough to serve hundreds (if not thousands) there isn't much savings.

English article but you get the point.

The authors calculated that if all foods were sourced from within 20km of where they were consumed, environmental and congestion costs would fall from more than £2.3bn to under £230m - an "environmental saving" of £2.1bn annually.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4312591.stm

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Well then, good. Shop Wal-Mart. They go out of their way to find local suppliers for produce (meat too I think).

As soon as I find a place that supports a massive variety of fruits & vegetables, I'll buy local. As a matter of priciple, I like it. As a matter of economics & practicality, it's silly.

spike

As soon as I find a place that supports a massive variety of fruits & vegetables,

The farmer's market I go to has 5 times the variety of any supermarket anywhere near here. :shrug:

BB

what's the weather like in san francisco? me brother in law is going over there tommorow - i mentioned there was snow in california - he thought i was joking. :grinyes:

A.B.Normal

The farmer's market I go to has 5 times the variety of any supermarket anywhere near here. :shrug:

Most places don't have a 365 day per year growing period ,try finding fresh veggies in North Dakota let alone a year round farmers market..

Inkara1

what's the weather like in san francisco? me brother in law is going over there tommorow - i mentioned there was snow in california - he thought i was joking. :grinyes:

Generally between 45 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit and foggy, year-round. It sometimes rains, too.

There are parts of California where it snows every winter and no one is surprised... that area is known as the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
On a clear day, one can stand on the beach in the Los Angeles area, in beach attire, while viewing the snow capped mountains then drive there in about 2 hours.

Sharky

Apparently the claim is that Florida grows way more oranges of a "juice variety" while California grows more naval oranges which are meant to be eaten. :shrug:
Yup.

Grow your own.

We can't do citrus here & I've yet to attempt avacados, though I should. I had (and will again this year) strawberries...The product on your grocers shelves is for emergencies. Tastes like crap-assuming it tastes like anythng at all & id designed for shipping & storage, not eating.
Seconded. There is a strawberry farm a few miles from my place that lets you pick your own. They are SO much better than storebought berries.

Current NWS forecast and conditions for San Francisco

RDX

I'm sure that would be tough. I was trying to look up what grows in North Dakota for the hell of it and stumbled on a Farmer's Market guide. Nope, not open year round. A lot of May-Dec surprisingly.

http://www.agdepartment.com/Programs/Farmers Markets.html

Famer's market goes for about 2 months in the town where I live and it's never open past early October. The ones that say they are open till Decemeber usually just open again for Christmas trees. As far as being open in May, I say WTF. It still freezes in May; the only thing they could sell are sugar beets.