Winter is coming...

LastLegionary said:
He has bigger balls than you do :D :p

Yeah, that may be true, but I bet his pecker is alot smaller after humping it a couple miles in -50 weather. :D

I like Missouri just fine, we get 5 - 8 good snows a year, the snow stays on the ground three days tops, 1 or 2 good ice storms, but that's usually just a morning hassle, gone by the afternoon, and one of those every three year things that remind us of our childhood. The rest of the winter is like spring.

Worst thing we had around here (since I was born) was -13 deg C...
I went ice skating and had no gloves...after 40 km I was pretty much frozen :D

Haven't seen ice here for a few years :(
Wish I could spend a winter over there in Canada, would LOVE the snow and ice again! :)

Really nice neigbourhood LL! :eek:

Oh, we've had more cold winters before I was born, my grandparents once told be that it was so cold one winter that the Northsea was frozen for a big part! :)

This is the average weather in my area, this town is about 10-15 minutes away.

Attachment(s):

snowfall beeton.jpg, 138.66kb

7_1032611846.jpg

wow.. im seeing only about 100-110 snow free days there, by way way of reading the snowfall records. 39 average snowfall days a year. Snow would lose its charm after about the third time I would have to shovel my drive.

Living as far south as I do, I've already had to shovel my drive twice in two years after separate 10cm snows. Rare, beautiful, but deadly around here since it is usual to be accomapnied by massive amounts of black ice all over the hills. It makes for a rather expensive day for the insurance companies.

Black ice is the worst...I guess they don't have an army of sanders down there either...

we get a spot of black ice now and again

but then this country shuts down after the first whiff of snow :rolleyes:

Leslie said:
Black ice is the worst...I guess they don't have an army of sanders down there either...
We didn't have any sanders prior to the 80s. In 81 we had a brutal 6 inch snowfall with 2 inches of ice that screwed up EVERYTHING for a solid week. Most places were without power for 5 days. Trees, powerlines, water mains ... it was apocalyptic. We started acquiring sanders after that.

The city was a little over a million in population and corrupt as hell into the late 70s. Now it is a psycho rapid growing metropolis with 4.5 million in the greater metro area. Acquiring the toys of most major cities was inevitible.

Last year was the warmest recorded in the history of NY, we had one
snowfall and it was only a few inches. Even then, it lasted one day and melted:

boardwalk_left1_snow.jpg

That's the boardwalk at the beach.

I don't think we got below 20F last year. Usually we might get down to
the single digits but never really less than that. We get a handful of
snowstorms per year, and it's been a few years since we got a really good
one. We had one one year where we had a snowstorm, 6 inches, then
another 12 inch snowstorm (it snowed for three days straight) and then
we had an ice storm.

Lord, it was gorgeous but so dangerous. I spent most of my time at the
ambulance corps on a second crew because we were getting hammered
with calls, fender-benders mostly.

When I got home one night, it was still snowing and because the snow
had drifted up against the house, I couldn't get out the next day! I had to
jump off the roof of the garage. That was fun. :)

No kidding. I remember walking through Central Park on !JANUARY 17! wearing shorts and a thin tshirt. It was almost considered warm.

I like snow. Now when it's all gross and dirty but fresh snowfall like in LL's pics.

*sigh* all the new neightbourhoods look the same. You coudl have told me that was the new subdivision 5 min from my house and I woudl have believed you cause they all look the same.....

AlladinSane said:
LastLegionary said:
I've always wanted to make love in the snow at -15 or so :D
Ugh! I have problems "getting ready to fight" at 0 C thank you :eek: Cold turns me off :sick:
It sure makes you smaller, but I dunno, just freezing your ass off with only the heat of your partner kinda entices me :)

Athens durn't get that cold... This winter past was the weirdest one they've had in a while. Dunno if the pics of snow on the Acropolis made it to the news wherever you are...?

Attachment(s):

_1745737_snowacrop.jpg, 15.05kb

211_1032696381.jpg

I think I remember hearing of that. Snow within 200km of the Med is just about unheard of outside of the mountains.

Back