Wish me luck

I know nothing of plumbing, except drano and plunging usually works. Plumbing isn't as simple as computers.

Oh, trust me, my hands have been plenty dirty getting into the plumbing. After that happened, my knack for it is limited to pouring a gallon of drano down the hole, plunging, and crossing my fingers.

Nope, just an SAT prep book and it had none of the stuff that was hard in the ACT test. I did take the ACT practice test online at 4tests.com but apparently neither did that.

Might not be a bad idea to get one. You are definately smart enough to pass this thing, it's just a matter of being prepared for the right material.

Q said:
You are definately smart enough to pass this thing
That's bullshit and you know it.

If I were at at all smart enough I would've known how to be properly prepared for it. I didn't even bring a fuckin calculator or pencil, and it was listed on the fucking admission slip that I should bring them! I'm too dumb to read. All I can do is fix computers and be pissed off, I can't do math, science reasoning, or any other shit that normal people can do. The next time I take the test, I'll just mark down the same answer for every question, I'll probably have a better grade. After all, I usually fix computers better by taking chances than by thinking things through.

I once thought I was special... now I know I am, in that I should ride the special bus to school. How fucking worthless is someone who can do fine on a GED test but bomb at an ACT?

:retard:

Maybe I'll just disappear off the face of the earth or something, not like anyone will notice, or care if they do happen to notice.

:mope:

fury said:
It is not....you got yourself all worked up into a frenzy. Now take a few days to calm down and let yourself relax....then get back at it and be prepared this time.

damn link went hinky :(

2. Cracking Act With Sample Tests, 2003 (Cracking the Act With Sample Tests on Cd-Rom) -- by Princeton Review; Paperback
Buy new: $20.97 -- Used & new from: $20.82

(go to Amazon/books..type in 2003 ACT prep)

JFK Jr. failed the bar exam like 6 times before he eeked through. He was just swallowed up by the pressure is all. You live, you learn, you show up better prepared.

unclehobart said:
JFK Jr. failed the bar exam like 6 times before he eeked through. He was just swallowed up by the pressure is all. You live, you learn, you show up better prepared.

And you stop beating up on yourself. That solves nothing.

fury, I'm probably not the best guy around to give this advice, since I never get stressed about tests. It seems to me though, that the problem is not that you are stupid, quite the contrary. The problem is you're letting the idea of the test get the better of you. My wife does the same thing. She's back in school working on her masters, and if I could, I'd go to a hotel the night before she takes any test. She isn't fit to live with. So, you see, It isn't just you. Now, I'm going to take the A+ test sometime this summer. I've watched your posts re computers, you could skate through the A+ test, I'll have to work pretty hard at it. I would suggest you take 20 bucks, buy the cd Q suggests, and take those tests at least twice a week from now until the next test date. You already know what to expect, so it should be easier the next time. My philosophy about these things is: 500 years from now, nobody will know the difference.:headbang:

Q said:
fury said:
It is not....you got yourself all worked up into a frenzy. Now take a few days to calm down and let yourself relax....then get back at it and be prepared this time.

damn link went hinky :(

2. Cracking Act With Sample Tests, 2003 (Cracking the Act With Sample Tests on Cd-Rom) -- by Princeton Review; Paperback
Buy new: $20.97 -- Used & new from: $20.82

(go to Amazon/books..type in 2003 ACT prep)

I totally agree with Q. You CAN do this and you CAN study, you just have to work harder at it than you have before. Easy for me to say, right? I've been there. I really have, and I had dyslexia to deal with on top of it all. But after I got my act together (no pun intended) after high school, I went from barely passing Math to a B+ in my first college class. I had to work my ass off for that B+ but nobody said it was going to be easy.

You have the smarts for this, now you need the resolve and the discipline to get down to it and study your ass off. If you really do that, you'll pass without a problem. :kiss: :hug:

Two things I didn't mention in my last post fury. Note that these occured to me while I was standing in the sun painting the see-ment pond, but I hope they sound coherent anyway.

1. Your folks won't like it, but I dropped out of college and I turned out okay. I did pretty much work two full time jobs from 24 to 35 years old. One of them was musician though.
2. This will sound like your folks (my son is 26) so I apologize in advance. Maybe you should spend a little less time shooting the shit with us'ns, and a little more studying?*peepwall*

Hey, it's your life, right? Advice is free, and usually that's what it's worth. Just my 2 cents. (oops, 4 cents I guess)

chcr said:
Maybe you should spend a little less time shooting the shit with us'ns
Hey, that's a pretty good idea... :beerbang:

I'm starting to like it less here anyway :beerbang:

It's ok, nothing you did, just one of our administrators is a dumb little shit. :beerbang:

fury said:
It's ok, nothing you did, just one of our administrators is a dumb little shit.
I was being facetious, I didn't really think you were mad at me. Those dumb shits can get to you, huh?

hey fury, one thing i've learned in my limited experience is that doing well on a test shows just that, that you can do well on a test. unfortunately, our society has come to see test performance as the only gauge of a person's intelligence. I've seen many people who scored very well on the act do piss-poor in college, and people who didn't do well but got their shit together and stuck it out. I get jittery about tests, but you've just gotta prepare for them. several 20-30 minute study sessions a day will prepare you a lot better than an entire day of straight studying, that's been proven. my theory, prepare ahead of time. 24 hours before a big test, I'm done studying, any more studying will make me nervous about covering the right material, so I just say to hell with it, relax, reflect, do something unrelated, but i don't open a textbook.

and on an unrelated note. wtf has been going on round here? i go climbing for a weekend and things get weird.

Back