Women rights? Current situation.

MrBishop

Professur said:
This makes me laugh my ass off. Wimmen whining about equal benefits, and equal pay.

What the fuck is equal about that?

Someone convince me that there's any benefit to my company to hire any woman under the age of 50.
The paternal leave part is pure crap... it basically says "Men don't care to stay home with their kids, so we won't bother with them."

As for the under50 thing...that'd depend on the qualifications of the woman in question. If she's better than your other candidates... why hire a lesser-qualified candidate on the off chance that she'll get knocked up or that she even wants to have kids?

Camelyn

Professur said:
Cam, that above is the new deal, signed yesterday.

I'd like to see the actual wording of that in the goverment release, not as per the reproters words. Lots of people interchange the terms parental and maternity leave.

Camelyn

Right now, fathers are eligible for 5 days of paid paternity leave, and mothers are eigable for 18 weeks paid maternity leave. Both mothers and fathers are eligible for 52 weeks of *unpaid* parental leave that is covered under employment insurance.

Sounds to me as though fathers are now eligible for eligible for 5 weeks of *paid* paternity leave instead of 5 days, in addition to the coverage provided under EI for parental leave.

This is they way I am interpreting it anyway, and it sounds like its a better deal for dads than before...

That's why i like to see the government sources for exact wording since this crap is hard enough to understand without sticking a reporter in the middle to "interpret" the facts for you :D

Professur

Men get 5 weeks. Women get 50 weeks. And that's fair?

I agree that in this instance, we really want the actual document before we argue over it. I've tried to get to the Gov.qc.ca site, but it's either not accessible, or down. But regardless, women to get benefits that men aren't entitled to. New or old, that's beyond dispute.

It should also be noted that parental leave, and maternity leave are not the same thing. Men have no (zero) eligibility for maternity leave.

And it's all coming outta my tax dollars. Employee, employer, it's still my money into someone else's pocket.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!

If you keep it up, some schmoe in our gov't is gonna overhear you & get an idea. :mad:

Camelyn

Right now men get 5 days! Remember that's "paid" ? The father is still eligible to collect EI for parental leave for a much longer period depending on the wishes of the couple on how to split the leave. This legislations agknowleges the fact, more than any place else in North America, that the father is extreamly important early in a childs life...

I think it's a good thing. I've heard you say it many a time, that a woman should stay home with the children, especially when they are young, particulary to be able to breastfeed. Quebec is enacting legislation that will make if financially more feasible for a woman to do this. Why is this suddenly a bad thing? A woman can only stay home with her kids if she is unemployed and has a husband to support her? Then it is a good thing?

I'm not sure I underestand how you can have such conflicting positions... unless i am missing something, which *never* happens with me...nope :D

Winky

If you were an employer trying to keep your
doors open instead of a wage slave, you'd take
a whole 'nother view of this silly-assed crap.

Get preggers
lose your job
because
you've taken another position
it's called...

Motherhood!

Professur

Camelyn said:
Right now men get 5 days! Remember that's "paid" , remember? The father is still eligible to collect EI for parental leave for a much longer period depending on the wishes of the couple on how to split the leave. This legislations agknowleges the fact, more than any place else in North America, that the father is extreamly important early in a childs life...

I think it's a good thing. I've heard you say it many a time, that a woman should stay home with the children, especially when they are young, particulary to be able to breastfeed. Quebec is enacting legislation that will make if financially more feasible for a woman to do this. Why is this suddenly a bad thing? A woman can only stay home with her kids if she is unemployed and has a husband to support her? Then it is a good thing?

I'm not sure I underestand how you can have such conflicting positions...

That you see them as conflicting is why you can't understand them. If you'd like, I'll happily take the time and explain them in detail, and the interlinks and structure beneath them.

Oh, and I was the personel dept for the Shangrila for 6 months. I've actually had to deal with the other side of all this before. (10 years ago)

Camelyn

Professur said:
That you see them as conflicting is why you can't understand them. If you'd like, I'll happily take the time and explain them in detail, and the interlinks and structure beneath them.

Cool :D How bout the going away party I'm having that you have to be coming to? I'll buy the beer, and you can wax philosophical whilst our children have at each other :D

Professur

Times? Dates? Local?

Wouldn't miss it for the world (will miss you tho), but are you sure you wanna get me drunk and then talk philosophy?

Camelyn

I've booked a little bistro/cafe here in NDG. It'll be a completely private thing, the whole restaurant is ours so that any and all rugrats can run amok. I'm just waiting on the menu to send out the invites :)

The date though is march 21, and it's a combo goodbye and Jeff's B-day party. Be kinda neat if anyone else on here could make it too :)

PM me iffin any of you is all is interested :D

As for drunken philosophy...isn't that how the pro's do it best? ;)

Professur

We never did get into that discussion. Hey Jeff, get her ass back online already. I'm starting to think you've got her body stashed in a freezer in the basement.

Winky

BeardofPants said:
definition given to strong women (heh heh) by men scared that they're being perceived as 'without balls'.

Isn't that the definition of a gurl anyway?

Oh they ain't got dicks neither.

If ya wanna play with the big 'boys'.