WWJD?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Kid's new friend (aged 9ish) comes up to me after school today. Says he and his mom were kicked out of their home (by I gather her boyfriend?) last night and his mom was wondering if he and she could come stay with us "until she gets an apartment". He'd been waiting since school start to ask me this (and wondering where he was sleeping tonight I imagine).

I went :blank: and ended up bringing him back here and telling him he could stay but I really don't have room for the mom (whom I've only met the once for 5 minutes at Meet the Teacher night), partly cause I really don't, and partly cause I just don't know her, and I don't know the boyfriend and what stalker/murderous tendencies he might have. Kinda feel guilty about this bit. But I have to take care of my own too.

He's called her (apparently she's at the place packing) and told her that, he's obviously upset and stressed out. I've sat the two boys in front of the TV hoping he gets distracted a bit.

Sucky world we're living in now where this is what kids have to worry about during school. I'm just not quite sure what to "do". Let him stay and hope the mom comes up with something? Talk to the teachers at school? Involve Children's Aid (our version of Family Services)?

Liliandra

Mom under normal circumstances should have a way to handle herself and if it were me and the mother permitting I would just let the kid stay with me. He's already stressed out, I'd rather him not have to worry about where he staying or who he's going to be shuffled to next. Never mind if he has trouble sleeping in new environments.

HomeLAN

WTF?! His mother sent him to ask you that instead of showing the balls to do it herself?!

In your shoes, I think I'd do what you've told him you'd do. He's welcome, you don't have room for her. I also would be having a very long talk with her before anybody moves in. There's gotta be more to the story, and if you're hosting her child you need to know it. If you get the vibe that she might drop him and split, all bets are off.

A.B.Normal

If the mother asked the boy to ask if she can stay with you then she is in no frame of mind to look out for herself or her son IMO.Its not your responsibility to care for her but ,if shes asking a complete stranger to keep her kid ,you need to take some steps,next time the situation she puts her son in may not be as caring/safe a one as your household.I have no idea who you'd talk to though as the teachers/school are probably only gonna contact Family Services anyway,maybe see if there are any womens shelters around.

unclehobart

I would figure that there would be some element of the Canadian social welfare system that would be the place to turn in such an instance as this. Sounds like they have no church element to turn to. Don't let mom in whatever you do. It would be easier getting rid of intestinal parasites. Its a little freaky that she has no friends to turn to.. or perhaps that all of her friends have turned their back on her ... but worthy of a raised eyebrow and a 'hrmmm'.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I think you all are right, she must be whacked.

There are shelters in place, but noone wants to end up there. I can't think of any other agency that'll help besides giving cash for half of the first and last thing...but you still have to actually get the apartment and pay the other half first. If she has noone else, she'll be shelter bound for a bit. THAT is when all the agencies step into gear. She'll have a brand new spiffy apartment in the matter of a month at subsidized rates if she goes that way.

It is all decidedly odd though. The having the boy talk to me of all people. I'm getting the same vibe as you, Rob.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Well, she called at 5:30 and said she wanted him to come home.

:shrug:

But now I get to worry all night. I told him he can come back and stay over if he needs to. All I can do.

HomeLAN

Leslie said:

:shrug:

But now I get to worry all night. I told him he can come back and stay over if he needs to. All I can do.

Pay special attention to that last thing you said there. It's true, and it should be a salve for your worry.

Liliandra

Most likely mommy made up with bf for the moment.... Wonderful, since obviously he cares for the kid's welfare so very much.

nalani

The question is, where is 'home'? and how safe and stable is 'home' for that child? You might want to think about still calling Child Welfare, just to let them know what's happened .. it might ease your conscious a bit. You're good people, Les ... and you did right by the child.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Liliandra said:
Most likely mommy made up with bf for the moment.... Wonderful, since obviously he cares for the kid's welfare so very much.

Perhaps it's not his kid. Perhaps mommy is so bad throwing her out was the best thing for the kid. Make of that what you will, but I know women who would toss a guy on his ass at even a hint of trouble...whether he had children or not...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It was raining this morning so the children were all in the classrooms as opposed to in the school yard, so I didn't get to see if he was there/talk to him.

If it seems to be still ongoing I'm gonna have to do something I think. What the something is I dunno yet. I think I may talk to the teacher and let her do what she has to do.

I don't know that he's 'in danger' physically, I can't fathom that in this weather she'd have him sleeping in a field (at least I hope so). It's just so shitty that this is his life and this is what he's thinking about at school. :eh:

Starya

On a side-note:
It was raining this morning so the children were all in the classrooms as opposed to in the school yard, so I didn't get to see if he was there/talk to him.
They don't go out to play when it rains..?

--
Anyways, has there been any changes in the situation (that you know of)?

Starya

Whether Shirley jests or not, I can not speak of. :p

'Round these past 'em rugrats get to stay in if the wind threatens to carry 'em off to sea. :D