?..you're most painful food related incident

Professur

tonksy said:
you're absolutely right...she lives in st. louis now, maybe i will call her and bring it up.....oh, she'll love that...laugh me right off the line prolly. i love jill.

Called Jill recently?

unclehobart

About 10 years ago I was at a mall well north of Atlanta that had a store called Calido Chili Traders. It was a store completely composed of 5,000 types of hot sauces, rubs, chili starter kits... etc. The owner and I got along really well; I was in the market for a new array of sauces... so he broke out bottle after bottle out of a holding refrigerator full of tester bottles and a large basket of miniature spoons (the types they use for ice cream samples). My first warning should have been that he put on latex surgical gloves. The hazmat treatment is never a good sign. We started out with more simplistic 7 out of 10 heat level sauces for flavor and daily use kinda stuff. As a reference, Tobasco is a 5. After tasting about 15 sauces, I was overheating and sweating up a sponataneous storm over 80% of my body... but still raring to go. He then started to hand me samples of the 10 of 10 group. Each one was like putting a lit charcoal in my mouth. I had 10 variations of habanerno death pass my lips. He was about to let me sample the uber rare 10++ stuff... all I had to do was survive a mid step 10+. It was some kind of yellow slimy habanero gunk mixed in with pure capsaicin in a bottle with a graphic of a Jamaican in a grimmace of mortal pain. The second that stuff hit my mouth... egad... I could no longer feel my mouth, I could no longer taste, breathing was impeded. There was a corona of pain that I could feel that wasn't a part of my body. It was more like a sphere the size of a beach ball that went over my head and down into my chest. I had aftershocks for hours and no taste for 2 days.

Professur

unclehobart said:
About 10 years ago I was at a mall well north of Atlanta that had a store called Calido Chili Traders. It was a store completely composed of 5,000 types of hot sauces, rubs, chili starter kits... etc. The owner and I got along really well; I was in the market for a new array of sauces... so he broke out bottle after bottle out of a holding refrigerator full of tester bottles and a large basket of miniature spoons (the types they use for ice cream samples). My first warning should have been that he put on latex surgical gloves. The hazmat treatment is never a good sign. We started out with more simplistic 7 out of 10 heat level sauces for flavor and daily use kinda stuff. As a reference, Tobasco is a 5. After tasting about 15 sauces, I was overheating and sweating up a sponataneous storm over 80% of my body... but still raring to go. He then started to hand me samples of the 10 of 10 group. Each one was like putting a lit charcoal in my mouth. I had 10 variations of habanerno death pass my lips. He was about to let me sample the uber rare 10++ stuff... all I had to do was survive a mid step 10+. It was some kind of yellow slimy habanero gunk mixed in with pure capsaicin in a bottle with a graphic of a Jamaican in a grimmace of mortal pain. The second that stuff hit my mouth... egad... I could no longer feel my mouth, I could no longer taste, breathing was impeded. There was a corona of pain that I could feel that wasn't a part of my body. It was more like a sphere the size of a beach ball that went over my head and down into my chest. I had aftershocks for hours and no taste for 2 days.

Most people would have stopped at 'lit charcoal'. Smart people would have stopped somewhere before that. I would have stopped at the store next door.

unclehobart

I almost bought a bottle of Daves Insanity Sauce, perennial winner of the hottest of the hot in the comercially available class, ... but no. It's stronger than pointing polar bear grade pepper spray into your own eyes. I may like the heat... but there are limits.

There are mythical hot sauces that go off the deep end and beyond that are limited to a few 100 bottles and are worth more than an equivalent weight in gold on the trading market. http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot Sauce/hothome.htm Blair crystalized pepper crystals are just plain dangerous. One grain of the stuff can blister on contact and quite possibly burn down into the deep tissue like sodium. To merely buy the stuff requires a signed waiver.

Inkara1

I bought my dad a couple of bottles of Dave's Insanity Sauce for his birthday a few years back. He said it has a good flavor.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I like my hot-n-spicy, but there are limits.

My most painful food episode likely involves eith a burn from cooking or from dropping a watermelon on my foot or somesuch. Nothing significant comes to mind.

Inkara1

My mind is so overstuffed with useless crap that I can't remember who I've told what and when. It's especially bad with jokes.

Professur

Inkara1 said:
My mind is so overstuffed with useless crap that I can't remember who I've told what and when. It's especially bad with jokes.

That's not good for a journalist.

unclehobart

HomeLAN said:
Why the hell would you want to do that to yourself?
reprinted from the other May thread

I would put it forth under the lump umbrella that covers all dangerous/painful/ecstatic forms of behavior. Why skydive? Why bunji? Why do hard drugs? To some, it releases a massive rush of endorphines that are pleasureable when certain brain chemistries akin to depression exist. Altering ones state of being becomes a temporary lift out of a rutted cycle of life that it agony to some. Some might even relate it to religious zeal in the same way that Filipino flagellants whip thier backsides into bloody pulps in order to step closer to God. To some it may just be a 'badge of honor' to be able to suck it up and take the pain... like a tattoo.

Some just like collecting the bottles because its quasi rare artwork and sometimes rather funny.

Inkara1

It's gotten to the point where I just started asking Christina, "did I ever tell you the one about...?" before telling her a joke now.

Professur

unclehobart said:
reprinted from the other May thread

I would put it forth under the lump umbrella that covers all dangerous/painful/ecstatic forms of behavior. Why skydive? Why bunji? Why do hard drugs? To some, it releases a massive rush of endorphines that are pleasureable when certain brain chemistries akin to depression exist. Altering ones state of being becomes a temporary lift out of a rutted cycle of life that it agony to some. Some might even relate it to religious zeal in the same way that Filipino flagellants whip thier backsides into bloody pulps in order to step closer to God. To some it may just be a 'badge of honor' to be able to suck it up and take the pain... like a tattoo.

Some just like collecting the bottles because its quasi rare artwork and sometimes rather funny.

This ain't good. We're all starting to repeat ourselves.

unclehobart

It was the same question about the exact same topic. The answer still applies as it is still the same way I feel.