a random thought ...

IDLEchild

kuulani said:
so why do the other planets' moons have names, and ours is just moon? :alienhuh:

Moon is the name we gave it and then reffer to every planet orbiting body as the "moon".

kuulani

IDLEchild said:
Moon is the name we gave it and then reffer to every planet orbiting body as the "moon".

isn't a planet orbiting body referred to as a "satellite"? ;)

Inkara1

It's probably because we named it that many years ago, before we knew there were other moons. Since that name was already taken, we then had to be more creative. It's just like you can name your first kid "Junior," but the second one you have to name something else.

A.B.Normal

Post it in the trivia forum,I bet Unc would answer it post haste,here he'll probably never see the question.

He's become a trivia slut and that forum is his street corner. :lloyd:

Kawaii

Luis G said:
Luna = Moon in spanish
Sol = Sun in spanish

We also call refer to other planet's satelites as lunas (and their respective name) and their suns as soles. So the same question applies here :shrug:
Solen(-en(or -et) suffix = 'the' [noun]) = The Sun in swedish, as in our sun specifically.
Sol = Sun, as in any sun.
Måne = Moon
Månen = The moon.
[/swedishwordoftheday]

tonksy

Kawaii said:
Solen(-en(or -et) suffix = 'the' [noun]) = The Sun in swedish, as in our sun specifically.
Sol = Sun, as in any sun.
Måne = Moon
Månen = The moon.
[/swedishwordoftheday]
sweet...i like the idea of a swedish word of the day! maybe i will finally be able to understand the chef on the muppets... ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
We're still awaiting a sponsor ro come forth. Geez, everybody knows that.

Oz

The name moon and the calender month are pretty much tied together :swing:

Moonie Jargon

I've always wondered why other planets are named after Gods and our ball of mud isn't (as far as I'm aware) :confused:

I also don't get out the house enough..........

pc_builder

Apparently, Moon, Earth, Sun, ARE the names.

You may read or hear people using Luna for the Moon, or Terra or Gaia for the Earth, or Sol for the Sun, but these are poetic terms, often seen in science fiction stories, but not used by astronomers in scientific writing.

source

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Inkara1 said:
It's probably because we named it that many years ago, before we knew there were other moons. Since that name was already taken, we then had to be more creative. It's just like you can name your first kid "Junior," but the second one you have to name something else.

Tell that to George Foreman... :lol: