a random thought ...

kuulani

at least george doesn't have to run through a list of his kids name when he's yelling at them ... or does he? george, george .... no ... uhhmm ... george!! :tardbang:

Frozzy

I'd have thought the names were grandfathered, in a way. We call it moon, and suddenly someone announces "Hey! I found another moon!" "Well, we can't call it moon II because that's stupid, and we can't call it Mars Moon because there's another. Let's just give it a name."

Though admittedly I wouldn't be surprised if the moon/stars etc. turned into the space equivilent of sports stadiums when it comes to names.

a13antichrist

Frozzy said:
I'd have thought the names were grandfathered, in a way. We call it moon, and suddenly someone announces "Hey! I found another moon!" "Well, we can't call it moon II because that's stupid, and we can't call it Mars Moon because there's another. Let's just give it a name."

That's more or less it precisely. We didn't call it "moon" because we saw a moon & said, "hey it's a moon, we'll call it 'Moon' since it was first." We saw this thing in the sky & thought, "hmmm, it seems to show up brightest around once a month, it must be a month-thing.." Then we discover that other planets have these things too, but obviously we can't give them the same names..
The same logic goes for the Sun - it's only called the Sun because that's the name we created for it when we first named it. Once we discovered that the sparkly things we see at night-time were the same thing, the stars can't use the name Sun but have to get different names.
As for Earth, well that one's quite simple. Go outside, what are you standing on? Earth. Or, if you're in Spain, Terra; in Germany, Erde; France, Terre.. it's no co-incidence that in ALL languages, the word for our planet is also a word for dirt. I'll bet that Gaia means dirt in some language, too - although maybe not, since Gaia actually refers to the spirit of the Earth (though I may have been watching too much Final Fantasy.. ;))

Finally, any planet-orbiting body is indeed a satellite. Thus all moons are satellites. Obviously though not all satellites are moons. Satellite is the global term for a planet-orbiting body & moons happen to be one type of satellite.

Any questions, children? :)

Pandora

Oz said:
I do actually.......and it's been bugging me for ages :)

Why do tampon adverts always have the best music? :confused:

because good music makes people happy...
and unhappiness is not the point of a tampon...
lol

Oz

Pandora said:
because good music makes people happy...
and unhappiness is not the point of a tampon...
lol

Hmm, I suppose it could be that :) Certainly have jolly little ditties anyway......

*wanders away*

[singing]Whoooaaa.....Bodyform......Bodyform for yooouuu!![/singing]

Ya gotta admit, as tunes go, tis pretty catchy...

tonksy

Oz said:
Hmm, I suppose it could be that :) Certainly have jolly little ditties anyway......

*wanders away*

[singing]Whoooaaa.....Bodyform......Bodyform for yooouuu!![/singing]

Ya gotta admit, as tunes go, tis pretty catchy...
man...you brits are lucky...i can't recall a single tampon commercial with a catchy tune...laundry soap on the other hand....

pc_builder

I hate commercials with catchy music, only because the song gets stuck in my head all day. and I have to go to work trying to not think about it. :swing:

kuulani

tonks said:
man...you brits are lucky...i can't recall a single tampon commercial with a catchy tune...laundry soap on the other hand....

you mean, "mama keeps her whites, bright like the sunlight ..."

... and the only tampon commercial that comes to mind is that stupid one where the girl uses it to plug the leak in her boat :tardbang:

tonksy

kuulani said:

... and the only tampon commercial that comes to mind is that stupid one where the girl uses it to plug the leak in her boat :tardbang:
mama's got the magic of clorox II!!!! that is exactly what i was thinking of!

HomeLAN

kuulani said:

You should be happy that you're far, far away right now. Now that fucker's stuck in my head, and I have to work on G/L numbers.

kuulani

HomeLAN said:
You should be happy that you're far, far away right now. Now that fucker's stuck in my head, and I have to work on G/L numbers.

it's all tonks' fault ... it's stuck in my head too!
:lloyd:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
HomeLAN said:

Just think of another annoying song...

Once upon a time, there was an engineer...
Choo-choo Charlie was his name, we hear...
He had an engine, and he sure had fun...
He used Good N' Plenty candy...
To make his train run...

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
HomeLAN said:

G/L?

General Ledger? am I not alone being stuck in accounting hell?