A washing machine with lousy timing

tonksy

And no, I don't mean the timing belt.
Our washing machine circuit board fried itself today and repairs would cost upwards of $500 and seeing as how our machine was a decade old hand-me-down from Rob's Dad upon his moving, I thought that that spells new washer.
Why couldn't the sumbitch have broken yesterday when every single washer in the country was on sale?
Ordering a $449 GE 3.5 cubic ft. king size capacity TOP LOADING washer from Sears...and since we are biting the bullet on that we are adding an adult sized computer desk for myself.

Professur

Sleeping bags are heavy. At least ... canadian ones are. I don't inflict them on friend's machines. I find a laundromat with the industrial strength machines. That way, when it breaks, it's SEP.

Professur

Now ... the new one's not gonna match the dryer, is it? And the microwave part of the oven's shot. Got that rear door dealt with yet?

I think it's time to start over.

tonksy

The back door works fine thanks to you, I could care less about matching dryers, and as far as the oven is concerned we'll replace that stupid combo crap when the oven part breaks or we eventually do a whole kitchen upgrade.
Right now my sights are set on the basement and the living room.
Ever deal with marmoleum?

tonksy

No, those are Mar-matics and Mal-stroms ;)
Marmoleum
I have that in mind for the living room floor - ditching the carpet.
The basement floor will get painted with the beige/brown speckled garage floor paint and we'll throw in some rugs.
I'm wondering if we can save the ceiling tiles with Kilz and paint or if we'll need to replace them - I want to paint them regardless.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
You do realize that front-loading washers have both a higher capacity and better efficiency than top-loaders, right?

Professur

May I suggest cork tile for the basement? Very resiliant, with just the right amount of cushion to be comfortable barefoot.

tonksy

What about waterproof-ness? Cork would bubble and rot, no?

Gato? This one was a front loader and I disliked it, bad on the back. If I could get a top loading dryer I would.

tonksy

Jesus, Gato...you buying?

Prof? Never thought of that...I'll point it out to Rob for the basement but I know I want the Marmoleum for the living room, picked out the color and design to play off the faux marble fireplace that's in there.

Professur

for cork ... you really want to hit a showroom and feel it to know what it's like. We've got a cushionned mat here for went you're standing all day at the lab counter. It's an engineered product, with thousands of test hours in it's RnD. And it's about half as comfortable as cork.