And to the surprise of absolutely no one...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Guess what?

Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming.

Personally, I have just about had it with all these 23 year old experts flapping their weinie washers about what THEY'D do if. I know what you'd do too. You'd smoke pot, listen to Carrie Underwood, and play Xbox just like you do now. So how's about shutting the hell up, crawling your pampered ass back into the nearest Starbucks so you can plunk down twelve bucks for a cup of COFFEE and finish growing up before you spout off, K? The adults are tired of you. This ain't the 60s, you ain't cute or important or relevent or groundbreaking or whatever it is you fashion yourself to be. You don't support the war? Great, your perfect right. I don't support a lot of things, and I gripe about them and try to get them changed. What I don't do is go out and make a complete ass of myself in a protest march that will accomplish precisely squat beyond ruining my reputation in my community. See, some things can't be purchased with your little piece of plastic. Wisdom and respect are among them. Right now you have neither. Start fixing that then worry about the rest of the world.

Professur

In San Francisco, turnout was decidedly lower than the crowd of 15,000 that organizers had predicted, but they said protesters were merely spread out among other events throughout the Bay Area.

Yeah, that happens when you don't know which bandwagon to hop on today.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SWINE membership is declining is all. About time, too. I remember the protests from the 1960's and the 1970's. At least then, people had actual risks to protest against. people today are just lazy slackers who want to be part of the 'in' crowd...

chcr

Too cute for words
Anti-war activists have marshaled more than 100,000 protesters at U.S. rallies on a few occasions since the run-up to the Iraq invasion. But the vast majority of demonstrations have been far smaller than those of the Vietnam era.

Anti-war groups and scholars say that's because the draft has been eliminated and because protesters appear more willing to work within the political system — a sharp contrast from the 1960s, when many protesters regarded the system as corrupt.

Unfortunately, they're incorrect. The system is no less corrupt now than it was then.

As for the protests themselves, they've been going on since the sixties pretty much non-stop for one cause or another. As long as you're not breaking the law, it's a legitmate way to air your grievances. I agree with some and disagree with others but as long as it's still America they sure as hell have the right to do it. :shrug:

Besides, when it all comes falling down this'll give the "we weren't allowed to win" whiners somebody to that's not themselves to blame.

freako104

SWINE membership is declining is all. About time, too. I remember the protests from the 1960's and the 1970's. At least then, people had actual risks to protest against. people today are just lazy slackers who want to be part of the 'in' crowd...

Dissonance for the sake of it?

tonksy

It actually does take quite a bit of effort to be in the "in crowd"...effort wated but effort nonetheless.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Unfortunately, they're incorrect. The system is no less corrupt now than it was then.

As for the protests themselves, they've been going on since the sixties pretty much non-stop for one cause or another. As long as you're not breaking the law, it's a legitmate way to air your grievances. I agree with some and disagree with others but as long as it's still America they sure as hell have the right to do it. :shrug:

Besides, when it all comes falling down this'll give the "we weren't allowed to win" whiners somebody to that's not themselves to blame.

If Charlie Rangle gets his way, the draft will be back. He'd better do it right, though, or the protests from the 1960's will look like a trip to Disneyland...

unclehobart

ZZZZzzzzzZZzz... huh? .... a protest in Frisco?... what for? ... did a white kid get into Berkeley or something?... *rolls over* ZZzzzzzzz......

highwayman

"I think our only presence at this point needs to be humanitarian aid. No more armed soldiers — they're not wanted there," she said.

Like our presence in Somolia? How long are we going to be in there??? Slick Willy promised we would be out in no time...

catocom

Sometime I just wish "some" people could have all the intel from the CIA, FBI, and NSA,
injected into their brain for a short time, see what they think, then extract it.

That'd be wicked cool IMO.:devious:

spike

Personally, I have just about had it with all these 23 year old experts flapping their weinie washers about what THEY'D do if. I know what you'd do too. You'd smoke pot, listen to Carrie Underwood, and play Xbox just like you do now.

Interestingly, the first person mentioned in your article is 58 years old.

What I don't do is go out and make a complete ass of myself in a protest march that will accomplish precisely squat beyond ruining my reputation in my community.

Since only something like 28% of the US approves of Bush's handling of the war I don't see much danger to reputation. For the most part people agree.

See, some things can't be purchased with your little piece of plastic.

I didn't see any mention of them buying anything with plastic. Just peaceful demonstration as provided by the Constitution.

No need to whine just because most of the country disagrees with you.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
No need to whine just because most of the country disagrees with you.

Perchance they do. Most of the country lives in a different country than I do though, with different rules and expectations and above all else, vastly different priorities. In my country, I fit in jes fine. And I care a whole bucket more what happens around here than in Providence or where ever.

spike

Perchance they do. Most of the country lives in a different country than I do though, with different rules and expectations and above all else, vastly different priorities. In my country, I fit in jes fine. And I care a whole bucket more what happens around here than in Providence or where ever.

Well, you're not posting about what's going on around there. You're complaining about what's going on across the country.

These people have right of petition and peaceable assembly and there's no need to bitch about them exercising their rights with a bunch of unfounded insults and generalizations.