Anyone Familiar with Aquariums?

JamesMJ2

OK dok. Sounds easy enough. I will try to get the tank set-up tommorow so I can get the fish in by the end of the week(provided it's safe for them) What test should I do for the water,and what lvls in the water should I be watching?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
A good bottom feeder / algae eater is a plecostomous. They can hold their own against just about any other fish, and they do a good job of cleaning things up too. Be warned though, these suckers can get HUGE.

PT

unclehobart said:
...and those brine shrimp 'sea monkeys' that you used to be able to order out of the back of comic books.
Always wanted some of those, they still sell em?

JamesMJ2

BTW whats your preference for beers PuterTutor? I was spoiled in Germany, they have amazing beer(I had my first beer in the HofBrauHaus in Munich)

PT

Oh hell, I still drink what everyone else here calls pisswater. Busch. :shrug: I live in Missouri.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
PuterTutor said:
unclehobart said:
...and those brine shrimp 'sea monkeys' that you used to be able to order out of the back of comic books.

Hint: They are a lot cheaper if you buy them as brine shrimp eggs instead of seamonkeys.

PT

Squiggy said:
Hint: They are a lot cheaper if you buy them as brine shrimp eggs instead of seamonkeys.

BUT I WANT SEAMONKEYS!!!!!

Fine, just ruin my illusions. :mad:

or delusions.

unclehobart

Squiggy said:
PuterTutor said:
unclehobart said:

Try telling that to a spastic 7 y/o :)

unclehobart

JamesMJ2 said:
BTW whats your preference for beers PuterTutor? I was spoiled in Germany, they have amazing beer(I had my first beer in the HofBrauHaus in Munich)
Were they still selling those huge ass pretzels?

PT

That's one of your babies, Squigg? Damn fine looking fish. :wink2:

Alright, it's 1:15 in the morning now, off to count fishies.

unclehobart

What are you planning insofar as a lighting system. I think the best setup is approx. 9-10 hours on a regular cyclical timer. If you get much up above that, you will get runaway algae.

JamesMJ2

I don't know, I kinda had a lot to drink.. I didn't realize that they served a whole liter of beer in 1 MUG! It's good stuff. It's ice cold, and goes down like water.

JamesMJ2

I was going to use a fluorescent light, and same idea of eight to ten hours a day, only I would turn it on in the morning and then off when I went to bed.:)

alex

You really need air filtration to oxygenate the water. Use tap water for the initial setup, let the tank sit for a couple of days with the filter running before you put fish in it. Fill a one gallon jar with tap water and let it sit for at least 24 hours. You'll need it as the water in the tank evaporates. Just remember not to "shock" the fish. All water must be room temp and no clhorine. Do not use any kinda chemicals to clean any of your equipment. Keep the tank away from direct sunlight or you'll be cleaning algea off the glass every week. Get small fish. Big fish = lotsa shit = more cleaning......cleaning a 25 gallon tank will be an all day job. Neon Tetras are cool, they're eyes glow like headlights. When you buy new fish, remember to let the plastic bag float in the tank for about an hour so the water in the bag levels out with the tank water.

That'll be $100.....next.

unclehobart

No kidding. I had 12 of the black brew ones back in 91. I paid for it something fierce. I loved the bathroom. It was just a huge cube shaped chamber with a running water trench all the way around the edge... room for 40 to stand shoulder to shoulder... and you still had to wait your turn.

I couldn't so much as smell Hofbrauhaus brew for 6 years after than without getting a tinge of nausea.

alex

Oh and if you've done good, watch carefully, the fish will wink at you ;)

$20......next.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
That looks like a good site. I only used Discus specific sites before but I think I'll check that one out a bit. Now I just hope I can resist dragging my tanks out of the shed....:D