Atheism

Inkara1

I remember being shocked - SHOCKED! - when I saw his picture for the first time. I expected blue skin and fur, and a nose that sticks out and then takes a 90 degree turn down.

Inkara1

gozno.jpg

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
...and he knows how to use it. As for the nose, hey, I have strong features :finger:

valkyrie

Gonz said:
HOw would your employer know of your religious preferences?
He asked me flat out. He asked me if I was a Christian, I said "no". He asked me if I was "Jewish", I said "no". He then asked me what my religion was ... since I'm not prone to lie, and I'm not embarrassed about being an Atheist, I saw no reason to withhold that information.

I never pushed the conversations nor did I encourage them in any way.

I'd come to work and he'd start up with something like: "gosh, I've been worried about you since you told me you were an Atheist. You're such a nice person and it bothers me that when you and I die, I'll not see you in heaven." Being the "nice person" that I am, I never confronted him that he was bothering me with all of this... I just tried to change the subject.

valkyrie

SouthernN'Proud said:
Because something happened to you, it makes the case for widespread discrimination.
Ummm... no :rolleyes:
I don't know why you would assume this. My knowledge of the discrimination against Atheists comes not only from my personal experience but from conversations with other Atheists on the same subject. My experiences are not isolated to myself.
I'll admit it right here, right now. I disagree with every iota of atheism. I hold the belief that there are no atheists in Hell. I defend someone's right to believe what they choose, but that doesn't mean I accept the belief even as I can have a good relationship with the person. And the person will know my thoughts on the matter. Once we agree to disagree and to move on from there, it won't be mentioned by me again. The person will know that I will discuss these topics with them at any time, and the ball will be in their court until returned.

In same fashion, I don't require anyone else to believe as I do, but will not allow my beliefs to be ridiculed as they often are on this board. I'm far more tolerant on that subject here than I would be in person. It's a decision I made.
If you didn't believe in fish tacos then people would stop ridiculing you.. ninny. ;) Everyone knows fish tacos are only a myth.

In my world, some battles are worth fighting more heartily than others. Some are fought on different fronts with different rules. Some are strictly internal.

At the end of the day, the only person I have to rectify my stances with is the man in the mirror. If I can look him in the eye, I'm OK. I might answer to another authority someday for my actions, but I'll hardly be alone in that.

So far, the man in the mirror is pleased.
My thoughts exactly. Always be true to yourself... because in the end, you have to live with your decisions and actions and how they affect others around you.

rrfield

yup. I've been asked many times, so I usually tell them I'm a Bokonist.

It's one thing if it comes out naturally in a conversation, but it's often asked point-blank.

BeardofPants

Yep, I've been cornered as well. When I was working in a supermarket a few years back, this old lady asked me if I "believed", and when I politely pointed out that it wasn't any of her business, she made a point in leaving me christian tracts every week.

Professur

BeardofPants said:
Yep, I've been cornered as well. When I was working in a supermarket a few years back, this old lady asked me if I "believed", and when I politely pointed out that it wasn't any of her business, she made a point in leaving me christian tracts every week.

You do realize that you can call the police on this. That's harassment.

BeardofPants

Yeah?
*makes a note the next time it happens :grumpy:

Actually, it reminds me of another time when me and a guy friend were horsing around having a mock argument and punching each other in the arm. Another old lady came along, and pretended like we were having a real fight, and attempted to mediate by giving us tracts to read to 'calm us down'. Eh. Waste of fucking trees, if you ask me.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Professur said:
You do realize that you can call the police on this. That's harassment.

Nah...It's much easier to complain to a lawmaker, or this forum, than actually do something about it...;)

tonksy

But see, that's the difference between people who are involved in organized religion and people that aren't. People that aren't involved in organized religion don't care if you are.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
tonksy said:
But see, that's the difference between people who are involved in organized religion and people that aren't. People that aren't involved in organized religion don't care if you are.

She still has the option of filing a harassment complaint, which she did not do. There-in lies the issue. If she is so much at odds with the old lady, she could've stopped the behavior she didn't like. Doesn't matter if she's religious, atheist, anti-religious, or anything else. (Yes...I live in a black and white world, and make my choices accordingly)

BeardofPants

I didn't know that I could file that for harassment. :shrug: I was a retail worker for a supermarket - she was a customer. You just don't think about dobbing in the customers to the police.

Professur

BeardofPants said:
I didn't know that I could file that for harassment. :shrug: I was a retail worker for a supermarket - she was a customer. You just don't think about dobbing in the customers to the police.

If a customer comes up to you and asks your bra size 'because you look about the same size as his wife" would you have any doubt about railroading his ass over sexual harrassment? Same deal. Jsut because they're a paying customer doesn't mean they get to behave like that.