Believing the lie, drink that koolaid!

spike

The thing that I cannot understand is how people want to turn their health care decisions over to the same people who have bankrupted social security; who have mismanaged the corruption and fraud laced Medicare; who gave us ConRail and AmTrak; who lost the Vietnam war; who conceived of the failure of the Great Society; who have failed in the war on drugs; who bankrupted the boating and aircraft industries with the luxury tax; and who actually believe that they can defy the laws of physics.

How stupid can the electorate get?

Yeah, holy shit. The same people you trust to protect the country, who delivers your packages all cheap and stuff. ZOMG!

Self interested insurance companies have such a better history. You can really trust them! :laugh: :smash2: :rofl2:

Yes, some of the electorate is pretty stupid.

spike

Then there is no problem.

Bullshit there isn't.

"All that is beside the point though. If we were low income or she was on her own then what?"

"If you work part time, do contracting, have a small business, work out of your home...AND have a pre-existing condition you can be in a position easily where you can't buy insurance and don't qualify for Medi.

In fact as I think I've discussed before my GF would actually like to get a low stress part time job but if she starts getting an income she could lose her Medicare. This fucked up system is actually keeping her from working. Total bullshit."

Pay attention.

The money that is now going to pay taxes is no longer available to pay a worker, or buy goods which support several workers.

Thank God for taxes.

The money that businesses used to have to pay for healthcare can now be used for higher wages or more workers.

This was said before. Again, pay attention. If you keep track of points that have already been covered we won't have to backtrack.

spike

And then sometimes it is. Otherwise we'd just go with anarchy.

When your argument fails you're going with bumper sticker slogans now?

Cerise

Pay attention.

Has she applied for disability ins? If, due to medical issues, she can't hold a job to support herself she might qualify. Ask her docs to write a letter so you can present it to the judge if necessary. If she does get the payments, then everything else will fall into place. :shrug:

Then there is no problem.

The money that is now going to pay taxes is no longer available to pay a worker, or buy goods which support several workers.

Thank God for taxes.

:tomato:

Yeah I know once you hear higher taxes for the rich you become illiterate and can't read the rest of the post, or most likely the linked article. Maybe you can see someone for that.

Has she applied for disability ins? If, due to medical issues, she can't hold a job to support herself she might qualify. Ask her docs to write a letter so you can present it to the judge if necessary. If she does get the payments, then everything else will fall into place. :shrug:

I am not sure about MediCal, but he said she has Medicare. That to me would indicate she has some help in the form of Social Security. Medicare Part D is what should cover a lot of the cost of prescriptions, (you hear them talk about it on all those damn AARP commercials) though I do not know if she has that coverage. From all that I have read of late though MediCal is on the chopping block and likely will not exist at all very soon. Hooray for the Governator! :tomato:

Cerise

Speaking of Ahnold, I just can't believe this is a real photo:

sch2_83489w.jpg

Considering how pumped he was when he was younger:

001-1950.jpg

No way he would slack off after a lifetime of maintaining his physique.

Cerise

And yes, I know about the steroids, but still, it took a little physical effort on his part as well.....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
And then sometimes it is. Otherwise we'd just go with anarchy.

Government enforced spreading of the wealth is always a bad idea. ALWAYS.

:tomato:

Yeah I know once you hear higher taxes for the rich you become illiterate and can't read the rest of the post, or most likely the linked article. Maybe you can see someone for that.

What was I supposed to see?
The surtax would apply to any adjusted gross income exceeding $280,000
Government imposed theft.

valkyrie

I've been on the fence about the whole health reform thing until I listened to an interview with Dr. Sam Nussbaum this morning on Morning Edition (NPR). He is the chief medical officer for WellPoint, the nation's largest health insurer.

He reiterated all of the points that the insurance companies have been repeating, including how only insurance companies are good at managing people's health, not the government. But there was one question that was never asked and was not addressed:
If insurance companies are so good at managing people's health, then why are there so many uninsured and under-insured people in the US?

Answer: because there's no profit to be made in providing health insurance to the poor, underemployed and unemployed.

Then I realized that if the government does not step in and overhaul the medical system and provide a program then everything will stay as it is. Nothing will get better.

I wish market forces had actually worked in this case but as I said: there is no profit in the poor and unemployed to be made. There is no incentive for the health insurance or medical industry to make changes to benefit health care in this country. If they had the motivation the changes would have already been in place.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If insurance companies are so good at managing people's health, then why are there so many uninsured and under-insured people in the US?

Answer:

Because they prefer cable TV to personal responsibilities.

It's not the governments job to fix healthcare, set heathcare rates, pay for heathcare, require heathcare of her citizens nor anything else involving heathcare.

Then I realized that if the government does not step in and overhaul the medical system and provide a program then everything will stay as it is. Nothing will get better.

If that's true, why hasn't (spike help me out here - fill in the numerous nations with better government heathcare than we have) fixed the problem? Instead of paying for overpriced presecriptions, they just don't offer 'em. Instead of fixing old cancer patients, they give 'em morphine & wish 'em luck. Instead of performing by-pas, they tell the fat chick that she should have watched her diet.

The reason the poor don't have better heathcare is because it's not important enough for them to do something abnout it.

p.s. - whoever said insurance companies manage peoples health? they only pay the bills, the doctors are the providers.

spike

Government enforced spreading of the wealth is always a bad idea. ALWAYS.

Nope, the government protecting it's people is a good idea AlWAYS.

I noticed you backed down from the rest of my points. Good for you.

spike

Nope, you've already been proven wrong on that account. Pay attention.

It's not the governments job to fix healthcare, set heathcare rates, pay for heathcare, require heathcare of her citizens nor anything else involving heathcare.

It should be and it will be because the country deserves better.

If that's true, why hasn't (spike help me out here - fill in the numerous nations with better government heathcare than we have) fixed the problem? Instead of paying for overpriced presecriptions, they just don't offer 'em. Instead of fixing old cancer patients, they give 'em morphine & wish 'em luck. Instead of performing by-pas, they tell the fat chick that she should have watched her diet.

I'll help you out. It's because you're lying through your teeth.

The reason the poor don't have better heathcare is because it's not important enough for them to do something abnout it.

Lying again. Current healthcare systems force the sick to stay poor to keep their healthcare.

p.s. - whoever said insurance companies manage peoples health? they only pay the bills, the doctors are the providers.

Oh, like what the government would do? :laugh:

Oh Gonz, don't run off for this one like usual. This is a topic close to my heart.

valkyrie

Can't say that's true for everyone, but yes... many poor households pay their $30/month for the cable or satellite but $30/month won't buy you health insurance for a family in this country.

With this I agree.
Does a citizen have a right to healthcare? No. (shocking to hear that from me but this is a fact).
Is it the government's responsibility to provide for the healthcare of it's citizens? No. There is nothing that I can find in the Constitution that suggests this. (Please feel free to correct me if I have forgotten something.)
Is it to the benefit of the government for the citizens to have access to affordable healthcare? YES! Absolutely. The financial stability of the people ensure a stable government. People get major illnesses or injuries, those bills have to be paid.

I believe that the USofA is far superior to any of these countries (sorry Bish, that's how I feel). I believe the USofA can come up with a far superior plan than any of these countries. But we need intelligent people, far removed from special interests, to sit down and devise a plan and this is not what is happening right now.

quote]The reason the poor don't have better heathcare is because it's not important enough for them to do something abnout it.

p.s. - whoever said insurance companies manage peoples health? they only pay the bills, the doctors are the providers.[/QUOTE]
They manage by approving or denying what they will pay for.
HMO = "Health Maintenance Organization" with is a type of MCO or "managed care organization".

The point is: the current healthcare situation is broken... it needs to be fixed. HOW do you fix it?

Inkara1

Can't say that's true for everyone, but yes... many poor households pay their $30/month for the cable or satellite but $30/month won't buy you health insurance for a family in this country.
I guess I need to move to Texas if cable TV, even basic, can be had for $30 a month there.