Bought a car today...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
About as well as I could expect. It's fixed, no charge and no arguments. The warranty would've covered a rental car for up to $35 a day, but the wife was out of town, and so her car was available. Unc and Tonks were nice enough to tote my ass up there and back, and so it's done.

On the way home, we hit a golden opportunity. There was a nasty southbound wreck at highway 5. We circled through downtown Mayretta to get around it and re-entered I-75 at the north loop. They'd apparently closed the entire interstate south of highway 5 to clear the wreckage. Unc and I got onto six southbound lanes with NO ONE else but a single SUV on it.

I was fairly restrained. I backed off when I got above 95. :D The engine was ticking over at about 2800 RPM, and you'd have thought you were doing 70.

If Unc was in the car with you who was driving his car?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
95mph is not insanely fast anyway. I like 130km/h (80) better but wouldn't mind the extra speed either.

Altron

The needle disappears if I go past 90. When the car's off, can't see it. At 45, the needle is straight up. At 85, the needle is almost horizontal. At 90, the needle is gone. Gotta love the overdrive. I don't think I ever went above 2k rpm.

HomeLAN

How's this for stupidity? My speedo goes to 160 (80 is straight up), but it's speed governed at 128. You'll never see more tha 3/4 of the dial. :D

chcr

Too cute for words
HomeLAN said:
How's this for stupidity? My speedo goes to 160 (80 is straight up), but it's speed governed at 128. You'll never see more tha 3/4 of the dial. :D
Opposite problem. The speedo on my 24 year old bike goes to 85, It'll get that in second about 500 RPM over the redline. ;)

Inkara1

HomeLAN said:
Why's the car got a 128 mph governor if the tires are only rated for 112?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
One time a friend of my Dad's borrowed his truck to take some stuff to the dump and my dad didn't tell him the speedo is in MPH (it's a 76 truck)...the guy was doing 100 down the highway and wondering why he was passing everyone...if a 76 truck (was prolly 20 years old at the time) can manage it then I'm sure Homie's new car can too.

Professur

Fucking right they didn't. Given half a chance, I'd have radio tags in all cars, with receivers on all the speed limit signs. And a requirement in all cars that you'd have to insert your license into a slot on the dash to identify yourself. Speed and your license is automatically ticketed. Over the points limit? A neat little blade slices your license in half, after voiding the barcode. Or, what the hell, confetties it and blows the bits out the defroster duct.

Professur

I'm a Monarchist. I'm a firm believer in giving someone a job they're good at, and making them do it, under pain of death.

Inkara1

HomeLAN said:
They didn't consult Prof.

I'd think they'd want to match the governor with the tires; either lower the governor to 112 or put on tires rated for 128. It just makes sense that way, since some idiot is going to try to peg the car on a hot day and drive 16 mph faster than the tires are rated to handle.

Inkara1

Professur said:
Fucking right they didn't. Given half a chance, I'd have radio tags in all cars, with receivers on all the speed limit signs. And a requirement in all cars that you'd have to insert your license into a slot on the dash to identify yourself. Speed and your license is automatically ticketed. Over the points limit? A neat little blade slices your license in half, after voiding the barcode. Or, what the hell, confetties it and blows the bits out the defroster duct.

So when the license is shredded, does the driver get to finish his trip? Applying the brakes right then and there is a good way to cause an accident, you know.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Luis G said:
95mph is not insanely fast anyway. I like 130km/h (80) better but wouldn't mind the extra speed either.

That's because your car won't go faster than 130KPH going downhill with a tailwind. :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
It might be a small car, but it sure doesn't belong with the entry-level cars. :p

Once I went up straigth from 130 to 180km/h in a few seconds and I decided to not take it further, because the heartbeating was just insanely fast.