Bought a car today...

Professur

Then it maybe the Canadian models that have it. Sure is nice not having to worry if a cable is gonna freeze when it gets down to the big minuses.

A.B.Normal

Then it maybe the Canadian models that have it. Sure is nice not having to worry if a cable is gonna freeze when it gets down to the big minuses.

Nice thought,that they would so drastically re-engineer something for us,but as far as I know the only difference in US vehicles and Canadian vehicles is DRL.

Altron

Took it in today.

They're undoing whatever they did in January, so I should have vents and AC again.

-but-

The brakes are apparently almost shot, with something like 3% of the original pad left. Guy says I'd be lucky to get another month out of the current brakes. I don't notice a grinding noise, but my hubcaps squeak, so I can't really hear over the sound of them.

He wanted 300 to replace all four of them. I don't know if that means resurfaced drums and rotors, or new drums and rotors. Again, my mom talks to the mechanic, not me.

My dad wants me to take the Maxima, which is a good idea. The boat has shit for acceleration, and shit for gas mileage. It's also very temperamental in cold weather.

However, the stupid "expensive yet useless sensor has broken again"... err... "Check Engine" light is on. It also makes funny noises. There's a clunking noise that sounds like it's coming from the middle of the rear axle, except it's FWD. It used to make that noise if you were at the wrong RPM for whatever gear you were in and speed you were going. But, tonight, driving around, it made the noise a lot, even when the clutch was all the way down, and shifts were done properly. Thoughts?

I'm moving out in three months. It will be a 110 mile drive home for me. Car will be located in a relatively cold area. Fuel Injection seems the way to go.

What should I do about the boat, though? There wouldn't be any reason to hold onto it once I move out. It's nice to bounce around town in, but not for heavy driving.

Blue book value is $1250-$1300.

I paid $1300, with 138,000 miles on it.
It now has 147,000 miles. I replaced the alternator around 8,000 miles ago, and the battery at the same time. Interior is in very nice condition, as when I purchased it. Power steering, brakes, windows, locks, everything. The only problem with the power is that one of the door locks doesn't lock (but it's right behind the drivers side lock, so it's become second nature for me to reach around and push it down when getting out of the car). Also, the window in the back, the motor doesn't seem to be very good on it. It used to go up really fast, now it goes slowly, sometimes stops, and sometimes i need to pull it up myself.
The AC works and is cold.
There's a belt that squeaks during the winter, but is fine now.
There's a decent Sony CD deck, and four pretty good Kicker speakers.
It has a remote clicker for the door locks.
There are four pretty good tires on it, with only about 5,000 miles.
It will have brand new brakes tomorrow.

I think I'd be able to get maybe $1500 for it? If I can find a buyer.

My mom is not a big fan of cars. Right now we have four of them (the boat, the crv, the mazda, and the maxima) and she doesn't want any more. so, like, my dad can't buy a Jeep Wrangler (it's a midlife crisis kinda thing) unless he gets rid of the Maxima. By getting rid of it, that would mean giving it to me, and that would mean me selling the boat.

My punk brother isn't too keen on inheriting the boat. I feel bad for the kid. He's a good guy, but I always end up kinda showing him up. He gets his permit soon, and after that, he will need a car to drive on. He's probably more into the imported compact type of car.

So, you guys still think that it's worth trying to flip the boat and taking the maxima as my daily driver?

Aunty Em

Sell the boat, take the Maxima. It no longer meets your needs, it's not practical to keep it and the longer you hang on to it the less you will get for it. You can always buy another classic at a later date if you really want to, but all it's going to do is right now is suck up money you don't have and you need something more reliable for longer trips.

You know youself it's the sensible thing to do.

Altron

I don't really know. We know that there was a fuckload of electronic problems with it a year ago (which is why we have the Mazda), but they seem to have been resolved. Unless the check engine light is on because they're coming back?

And there's the low, grinding, rattling noise. I don't know what it is.

To be honest, the electronics scare me a bit. It cost like $2k to fix the problems a year ago.

With the boat, I have the comfort of knowing that it's not at all uncommon for most of the stuff to last for like a billion miles, and if anything goes wrong, it's a straightforward swap. Stuff like a carb, solid rear axle, a timing chain, etc. are more durable than crap like CV joints and timing belts and ECUs

Inkara1

The check engine light is probably one of the oxygen sensors. There are two of them, one before the cat converter and one after (or maybe four depending on if you have dual exhaust). There are plenty of other things it could be too, but that's most common from what I've seen. But the check engine light wouldn't be because of electrical gremlins.

Altron

What the hell do I need oxygen sensors for? Seriously, my car doesn't have them, and it works fine. Can they be like, removed?

I believe that it's a V6 run into a "Y-pipe", then one cat and muffler.

Altron

So, I got it back. Brand new rotors and pads on the front. Rears were still in decent shape. They fixed the vents, changed the oil, and replaced a burnt out bulb.

It was $460, which my mom paid for, because she's really worried about my safety.

Altron

The old rotors didn't look that bad. I don't really know what they're supposed to look like though.

At first I didn't see anything wrong with the pads. They were flat curved pieces of metal with some holes on them, a little less than a quarter inch thick.

Then I looked at the pictures on the box the new ones came in. Apparantly, there's supposed to be ceramic stuff on top of the metal?

Altron

Yeah, but I can blame that on the lack of fuel injection and the fact that it weighs 4,500 pounds and has a 140hp motor. Even with oxygen sensors, it still wouldn't be fast.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I believe the oxygen sensors are part of the fuel injection system, I could be wrong thou.

A V8 with modern systems (oxygen sensors included) would give you far more than 140hp.

Altron

I believe the oxygen sensors are part of the fuel injection system, I could be wrong thou.

A V8 with modern systems (oxygen sensors included) would give you far more than 140hp.

Yeah, but the Mazda had fuel injection, and it worked even when the exhaust leaked through holes in the manifold, before hitting any oxygen sensors.

Kruz

oxygen sensors are part of the fuel Management system... wether carburated or fuel injected. and his old boat was built during the Smog years, when engine horsepower was sadly at its lowest point

RDX

I think I missed it somewhere, but what year is the maxima? I've been driving a 1996 for quite a while now and it's treated me well. The things that have needed to be replaced with mine (and frequenty go with high mileage maxima's) are the CV boots, knock sensor, and oxygen sensors. The knock sensor is almost guarenteed to go sometime before you hit 120k miles and is possibly the cause of the engine light.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I highly doubt you're going to get over blue book value for an old car with heat/AC problems and problems with a lock and with a window...not unless you find a sucker to sell it to. Anyone with a head on their shoulders is gonna check the blue book value and they're not gonna pay over that value if there are things wrong with the car. True, they're all convenience things but people pay for convenience in every aspect of their lives and they're gonna pay less if things about the object they're purchasing are an inconvenince (actually, i'd say the heat/AC thing is more than an inconvenience...it's a down right piss off...spring/fall sometimes one needs AC or vents in the day and heat at night...I wouldn't buy any car if it didn't have both in working order...having to have a mechanic switch it over doesn't count as having both in working order).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Add on the fact that gas prices are through the roof...and it gets pretty shitty gas mileage...people are gonna see that as a MAJOR negative at this point in time.