Bought a car today...

I checked... indeed, it's only available in Canada. The only "small" pontiac in the US now is the Vibe, which is a rebadged Toyota Matrix.

I don't know why GM wouldn't want Pontiac to have a Cobalt twin. Since they mandated that Buick, Pontiac and GMC all share dealers, you'd think they would want a small sedan available at said dealers. Buick doesn't have one and of course GMC doesn't have one.

Inkara1 said:
I checked... indeed, it's only available in Canada. The only "small" pontiac in the US now is the Vibe, which is a rebadged Toyota Matrix.

I don't know why GM wouldn't want Pontiac to have a Cobalt twin. Since they mandated that Buick, Pontiac and GMC all share dealers, you'd think they would want a small sedan available at said dealers. Buick doesn't have one and of course GMC doesn't have one.

I think the pursuit and Colbalt are more like siblings...not fraternal twins like the Cavalier and Sunfire...

I was just at the car accessory store buying some fuzzy dice.
They had a tach there. Most were big and expensive and went to like 12krpm, but I saw one that was like 3" wide and only went up to 8k (I doubt the engine goes above 4k, since the HP and torque peaks are so low, 3k and 2k respectively) for cheap. How difficult is it to install something like that? I know that the automatic doesn't need a tach, but I miss having it. It's not like there isn't room for it either... the dash is huge.

I also did the first of many PERFORMANCE MODZ

with my XTREME POWER AIR INTAKE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/taylorcans/HPIM0708.jpg

That generator/motor (not quite sure which) thing appeared to have caught the hose at some point in time. I reinforced the hose with high strength sticky material (Duct Tape) then used said material to move it closer towards the beam running across the engine compartment. It only ended up moving a half inch from where it is in the picture, but with the tape, it won't get torn up again.

You can pretty much get rid of that air intake, unless of course the carburator is in an extremely hidden place and no air will get near (judging by the pics it is not).

If you want more air, you can also get rid of the air filter. It isn't as critical as with fuel injection. The alternative is to keep the air filter and put the filter cover upside down. This way it will seal but the filter will get air from all around the circumference.

Of course, doing any of this will make the engine noisier.

Altron said:
I was just at the car accessory store buying some fuzzy dice.
They had a tach there. Most were big and expensive and went to like 12krpm, but I saw one that was like 3" wide and only went up to 8k (I doubt the engine goes above 4k, since the HP and torque peaks are so low, 3k and 2k respectively) for cheap. How difficult is it to install something like that? I know that the automatic doesn't need a tach, but I miss having it. It's not like there isn't room for it either... the dash is huge.

Funny that you ask. I just installed a tachometer in my new car. It is a 5 speed, but base model, so no tach. I don't need it at all to drive, but I do like knowing what my car is doing.

It was a pretty easy to do. The tach I bought needed a;
Constant 12v (to remember the colour you set it to)
switched 12v
line off the dimmer
ground
and of course, tach signal.

Find the first 3 with a multimeter.

Most cars with a optional stock tachometer has the wiring harness behind the instrument cluster already containing the tachometer signal. I doubt this car had a optional tach, so you will have to get the tach signal wire off the distributor. (I believe) Also, some cars have a tachometer signal near the diagnostic hook-up, so someone troubleshooting the car can hook a tach up to help him fix it.

IMG_0819Medium.jpg

There is my beast, taped to my steering column until I figure out where I want to mount it.

hehe, well I didn't even have to take my eyes off the road to take it. And it only took a second. Not as bad as all those soccer moms driving SUV's yacking on their cellphones! :D

1. FUZZY DICE?!?!? GAH! THAT CAR IS TOO NEW FOR FUZZY DICE!!!!!

2. Leave the filter. They put filters in for a reason.

3. Leave the air intake in. They put that in for a reason; notably, to get as cold of air as possible into the intake because the engine runs more efficiently on cooler air.

4. That "generator/motor" is an alternator. It does the job the generator used to do until the mid-60s, but will make more constant power and make more at low RPM.

greenfreak said:
I agree. This is what I took my road test in:

75Blazer2small.jpg

So let me ask you a question. Could you tell me more about what you drove. How about some specs? I find it interesting that you test drove MY blazer. one that resides in California. Should one was smart they could tell by the link to the photo came off my website. And that is an old picture. Before the lift was put on. To see current photo you can go back to the website and see. I appreciate the compliment. On find my blazer and posting it up on this site.

Thank you.

www.slattermotorsports.com

I'm sure she didn't mean that exact one. Probably the result of a Google image search....but welcome to our forum anyway!

Oh no that is ok. Did not want to start any trouble. Was just shocked to see some one copied a picture that was on my website and posted it up. Even though it is an older picter before the upgrades. LOL.. I sent a pm to this person as well.

No harm no Foul.

Thank you for the reply and by the way this site is pretty interesting. Thanks

unclehobart said:
OC6, That Blazer still alive and kicking?

yes it is. been alot of changes. when i bought the blazer it had no motor or trans. i installed a 6 inch suspension lift. with 35" tall tires. A few friends help add a full roll cage. has a rebuilt small block and new th350 with np 205 transfer case. that was twin sticked for offroading. still work in progress but drives like a champ.

Back