Bought a car today...

chcr

Too cute for words
Altron said:
This hose goes from the very front of the car into the carb.
Big old hose, right? Goes to the air cleaner snorkel? If so it's the fresh air intake. You can live without it but the car runs better if it's intact. As Prof says though, If it's the one from the exhaust manifold, that's the heat riser and it gets too hot for duct tape ("What's that funny burning smell?").

Altron

Well, it is made out of PAPER, so I don't think it's the exhaust.

Luckily, I was just taking some pictures.

Altron

HPIM0685.jpg

The boat docked.

HPIM0686.jpg

The bow is so big!

HPIM0687.jpg

BLING rims

HPIM0689.jpg

BLING logo

HPIM0690.jpg

The stern is even bigger than the bow!

HPIM0691.jpg

19 fuckin' feet of steel

HPIM0692.jpg

The multitalented hatch behind the cargo hold.

HPIM0693.jpg

Swings open

HPIM0694.jpg

Power windows down

thispicismissing.jpg

The hatch also swings down like a pickup truck (Pic missing, I couldn't get the damn handle to turn. The boat tends to get quite tempermental)

HPIM0695.jpg

Here you can see the back seats. It was 25*F out. Hell if I was going to be outside long enough to remove the back carpet and fold up the seats without a jacket.

HPIM0696.jpg

A sizable back seat.

HPIM0698.jpg

Which folds down to give an obscene amount of room in the back.

HPIM0699.jpg

The captain's quarters are just as big as the back seat. No center console and the wheel tilts up and out of the way, why bother getting in the back? :devious:

HPIM0700.jpg

These are what REAL pedals look like. The gas is anout 10" long, the brake 6" wide.

HPIM0701.jpg

The E-brake lost out on the chrome treatment, and it's small as well.

HPIM0702.jpg

So many fun buttons. Everything is powered.

HPIM0703.jpg

Rectangular speedometer. Strange. Note the lack of tachometer.

HPIM0704.jpg

Check out the wood trim.

HPIM0705.jpg

Home of the Owner's Manual.

HPIM0706.jpg

307cid V8. My assumption is that the huge frying pan above the engine is the carb, since the air intake goes through it and the fuel injection Mazda doesn't have one.

HPIM0707.jpg

Part of the reason the car is so long... there's about a foot of completely open space before the radiator.

HPIM0708.jpg

Here you can see the torn hose.

HPIM0709.jpg

And the keys, with the circle door key and the square engine key.

catocom

yeah I think that is just the cool air intake duct for the filter.

You can check for vacuum leaks by getting a squirt bottle with water, and
with the motor running lightly squirt the the small hoses. When/if if cuts out,
you have a leak. You can track them all down like that. :swing:

chcr

Too cute for words
My assumption is that the huge frying pan above the engine is the carb

Nope, that's the air cleaner. The carburetor is under it and a lot smaller. That is the fresh air intake hose, BTW. Duct tape should be fine. Do yourself a favor and have a look at the air filter (take the top off the air cleaner). If it's really dirty it can really affect your fuel mileage. You'll also be able to see the inside of the carburetor. In my experience, I spray WD-40 rather than water looking for vacuum leaks. When you hit one, the idle will speed up noticably for a bit since it blocks the leak until it all gets sucked through.

The interior looks pretty clean. How does the radio sound?

unclehobart

CL_Apr67_p3pic2L.jpg

This is where is carb is once you get that lid off. It should be no problem to lift the whole mechanism off of the carb so you can get us a better piccy... make, model, serial numbers... bla bla.

unclehobart

From what you've told us, it will most likely be a Rochester Quadra-Jet. This site will help you decode the numbers: http://www.recarbco.com/technical/rochester/qjet.html

From buickperformance.com:

A common problem is the fuel filter inside the fuel inlet housing becomes plugged with debris from dirty gasoline. This prevents the float bowl from filling quickly and results in poor engine performance. This filter is not an ideal candidate since it is made of paper and can not be seen unless the filter is removed from the housing. The best filter to use is a glass filter connected in-line between the fuel pump and carb. This filter allows you to see if the fuel pump is working as well as if there is any debris in the fuel.

Inkara1

The rectangular speedometer isn't what I'd call "strange." They were very common in American cars until the 90s. The tach isn't really necessary either, considering the thing's a boat built for freeway cruising, not hot-rodding. Depending on the gearing, the engine probably loafs along at 2000 RPM at 65 mph.

catocom

chcr said:
In my experience, I spray WD-40 rather than water looking for vacuum leaks. When you hit one, the idle will speed up noticably for a bit since it blocks the leak until it all gets sucked through.
Yep, that is what I use most of the time too actually. (good pointer)
I just didn't know 'how much' of a budget he might be on. ;)

Professur

I scared hell outta a few people with my rumble seat. Nothing quite like when your passengers are facing the other way, watching that semi inch up.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
*feels so nostalgic*

So many things on that car are similar to our old '87 Caprice Classic that I learned to drive on...the pedals, the ignition, the hazard button, the headlight switch...*wipes a single tear*

Oh, and you blocked the licence plate in the front shot but not the back shots...

Inkara1

Nixy, the reason why that car looks so similar is because it's the same car except with an "Oldsmobile" badge on it. Sort of like how the Camaro and Firebird were twins, or the Cavalier and Sunbird/Sunfire.

Altron

Nixy said:
*feels so nostalgic*

So many things on that car are similar to our old '87 Caprice Classic that I learned to drive on...the pedals, the ignition, the hazard button, the headlight switch...*wipes a single tear*

Oh, and you blocked the licence plate in the front shot but not the back shots...

I started off thinking "Remember what happened with Q vowing to find out where I lived..." but then I realized that she is no longer here, and I had already saved it. Besides, the back shots are harder to see.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Nixy, the reason why that car looks so similar is because it's the same car except with an "Oldsmobile" badge on it. Sort of like how the Camaro and Firebird were twins, or the Cavalier and Sunbird/Sunfire.

Well, ours wasn't a station wagon...plus the sunfire and cavalier are the same mechanically but they are not identical otherwise, obviously they have some things the same...they are both made by GM...I realized that both his car and my old one were made by GM...still brought a tear to my eye in memory of the old car. :p

Oh, and Altron, the plate is as clear as day on the back ones too :D

Inkara1

The Sunfire and Cavalier, at least until the '03 ugly-stick bashing, were extremely similar. Same doors, same trunk lid (slightly different tail light treatment) and back fenders, etc. They're not identical in the way the Dodge and Plymouth Neon were identical, but they were still twins.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
The Sunfire and Cavalier, at least until the '03 ugly-stick bashing, were extremely similar. Same doors, same trunk lid (slightly different tail light treatment) and back fenders, etc. They're not identical in the way the Dodge and Plymouth Neon were identical, but they were still twins.

Well, when we bought our Cavalier the bodies were different...same guts but the Cavalier is beautiful and the sunfires were ugly. Fraternal twins if anything...

Inkara1

But still twins nonetheless. BTW, cavaliers have never been "beautiful," and in '03 they became positively butt-ugly... fugly... Pontiac Aztek-ugly.

FluerVanderloo

Inkara1 said:
But still twins nonetheless. BTW, cavaliers have never been "beautiful," and in '03 they became positively butt-ugly... fugly... Pontiac Aztek-ugly.

Hey now, if mine weren't two-toned, it would be beautiful. I like my model's body style a lot better than the other two.

Now they's got that Cobalt instead. Blah.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:

OH NO YOU DIDN'T! SUNFIRES became butt-fuck ugly with their cat eyes...BLECH!

I like the Colbalt and the Pursuit. I am considering buying one of them when I graduate.