*burp*

tonksy

abooja said:
Damn, that sucks. Maybe you ought to get yourself a little tortilla press and start cranking out your own homemade. :confused:
that gets a little...time consuming although i would sure enjoy fresh tortillas (perhaps not as much as rob). mayhap it will come to that. we make almost everything else from scratch. although i have found a premade pie shell that's good to go.

abooja

tonksy said:
that gets a little...time consuming although i would sure enjoy fresh tortillas (perhaps not as much as rob).
Depending on how big a freezer you've got (sadly, mine is the size of a toaster oven), you can make the dough balls ahead of time, freeze em, pop em out when you need them, smash em, scorch em and you're good to go.

Not that I've ever done this myself. :D

unclehobart

All recipies that I am finding on making homemade tortillas require baking powder... bah! That stuff is half cornstarch. I don't think arrowroot based baking powder would come off as tasty.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I just got back from a HUGE chinese buffet with the extended family and cause it's the holidays that means KING CRAB LEGS *burps*

and TOMORROW night my uncle is hosting a larger family gathering at his place, he has a VERY VERY large freezer which is half full of all sorts of seafood :D mmmmmmm I am SO looking forward to it :D

abooja

unclehobart said:
All recipies that I am finding on making homemade tortillas require baking powder... bah! That stuff is half cornstarch. I don't think arrowroot based baking powder would come off as tasty.
The official Arm & Hammer website suggests the following:
To make the equivalent of 1 teaspoon baking powder, mix 5/8 teaspoons of cream of tartar with 1/4 teaspoon ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda.
Can you have cream of tartar?

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
There is no better mexican restaurant than those in Phoenix. I've tried assorted places from coast to coast & nobody has ever beaten Phoenix.
Erm... The chimichanga was invented in Tucson. :D My personal favorite place is Rosa's on the corner of Ft. Lowell and Campbell. Jorge the waiter was the only guy in there that spoke English. There's plenty of good spots in Phoenix too, I'll give you that. Why the heck don't restaraunts around here serve cheese crisps?

My lovely wife is quite talented BTW. We make our own tortillas and tamales. Refried beans too when we have time.

Rob, I can make tortillas without the cornstarch. Not without lard though. The press is dirt cheap though, and there are plenty of recipes.

abooja

It's too bad there's no substitute for corn in tamales. I've made them several times, including some pork ones steamed in banana leaves. Pretty damn good.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Despite all ourt similarities, the reason we don't see eye to eye is you like Tucson :p

chcr said:
Erm... The chimichanga was invented in Tucson. :D My personal favorite place is Rosa's on the corner of Ft. Lowell and Campbell. Jorge the waiter was the only guy in there that spoke English. There's plenty of good spots in Phoenix too, I'll give you that. Why the heck don't restaraunts around here serve cheese crisps?

My lovely wife is quite talented BTW. We make our own tortillas and tamales. Refried beans too when we have time.

Rob, I can make tortillas without the cornstarch. Not without lard though. The press is dirt cheap though, and there are plenty of recipes.

Winky

I've been going to Tucson for the Holidays for the
last 25 years (Wife's family lives there) what's not to like?

unclehobart

chcr said:

I would never dream of taking out the lard.

unclehobart

I've done the cream of tartar mix before. It's ok for certain recipies. I didn't poo poo it. I have a few starches on the shelf that I mix with the baking soda depending upon the task at hand.