*burp*

tonksy

i just polished off 2 pounds of mussels steamed with white wine, garlic, and peppered tomatoes with a large slab of rustic rosemary bread.....not to mention the carton of stuffed grape leaves that rob surprised me with from his trip to the local fancypants market. i have achieved culinary nirvana.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
And here I sit wondering idly how stroganoff can be so tasty yet so very much resemble vomit.

ResearchMonkey

Leslie said:
And here I sit wondering idly how stroganoff can be so tasty yet so very much resemble vomit.

May I advise you to chew your food better. Those chunks really hurt coming back up.

abooja

tonksy said:
I should be saying this sometime around midnight tomorrow, instead of the standard "happy new year!". A couple of friends and I are making a round of appetizers -- grilled chicken satays with peanut sauce, grilled shrimp cocktail, pepper-crusted steak with horseradish cream on grilled garlic crostini, ahi poke, spanikopita, guacamole and salsa with chips, molten chocolate cakes, and topping it all off with champagne.
explode.gif

tonksy

abooja said:
I should be saying this sometime around midnight tomorrow, instead of the standard "happy new year!". A couple of friends and I are making a round of appetizers -- grilled chicken satays with peanut sauce, grilled shrimp cocktail, pepper-crusted steak with horseradish cream on grilled garlic crostini, ahi poke, spanikopita, guacamole and salsa with chips, molten chocolate cakes, and topping it all off with champagne.
explode.gif
mmm...spankopita. :licklips:

tonksy

abooja said:
It's a simple enough recipe, and I can get around five different varieties of phyllo dough within two blocks of here.
i can get it but i've not found any that rob can eat with his allergies and i try not to be cruel and make things he can't eat (except for the xmas goodies). i get it at a greek pizza joint we frequent though. :D

abooja

tonksy said:
i can get it but i've not found any that rob can eat with his allergies and i try not to be cruel and make things he can't eat (except for the xmas goodies).
Yeah, I have that exact same issue with someone I know. No corn, nuts, beans, seeds or their oils or extracts. Very trying.

tonksy

abooja said:
Yeah, I have that exact same issue with someone I know. No corn, nuts, beans, seeds or their oils or extracts. Very trying.
yeah but not impossible. plus i have started paying more attention to the crap i put in my body.

abooja

tonksy said:
plus i have started paying more attention to the crap i put in my body.
I do too (except for the Cheez-Its and Pepperidge Farm Nantucket cookies and Tootsie Rolls and... :D). But I've got to have nuts in certain things. And corn. I suspect you two don't eat a lot of Mexican food.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
abooja said:
And corn. I suspect you two don't eat a lot of Mexican food.

I started to wonder that as well, unc's allergie to corn must rule out most of our food.

tonksy

abooja said:
I do too (except for the Cheez-Its and Pepperidge Farm Nantucket cookies and Tootsie Rolls and... :D). But I've got to have nuts in certain things. And corn. I suspect you two don't eat a lot of Mexican food.
i get mexican infrequently. usually from willy's californian-mexican. it's awesome but i'd kill for a chimichanga or some chile relleno....oh! and flan. rob misses mexican.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
tonksy said:
i get mexican infrequently. usually from willy's californian-mexican. it's awesome but i'd kill for a chimichanga or some chile relleno....oh! and flan. rob misses mexican.

If you can't afford a trip to Phoenix, Sylvia's La Canasta GREEN CHILE WITH BEEF is actually better than sex. Order a dozen tortillas (sorrry Rob, you lose here). I grew up on La Canasta & have been known to drive to Phx to get more & to coerce my friends to overnight me some.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
There is no better mexican restaurant than those in Phoenix. I've tried assorted places from coast to coast & nobody has ever beaten Phoenix.

unclehobart

*hasn't had anything vaguely Mexican in 5 years*

Even basic tortillas have a dusting of corn starch... so even the most basic fajita is off limits.

abooja

unclehobart said:
Even basic tortillas have a dusting of corn starch... so even the most basic fajita is off limits.
Damn, that sucks. Maybe you ought to get yourself a little tortilla press and start cranking out your own homemade. :confused: