But I thought only fetal stem cells ...

MrBishop

Hello, everyone!

There is no point in the reproductive process when a non-living thing suddenly becomes alive. A sperm unites with an ovum to form a zygote. A sperm, an ovum, and a zygote are all alive at the time of conception. However, a zygote is substantially different than a sperm or an ovum but only accidentally different from a newborn baby. You come into being once you are a zygote, which occurs at the moment of your conception. There are no substantial differences that occur after you become a zygote. All differences that occur after you are a zygote are all accidental ones. You have your own DNA, and your genetic makeup is complete at the moment of your conception.

That is why embryonic stem cell research and abortion is murder, regardless of the end one is trying to pursue.
Every single cell in your body has it's own DNA....as for the 'no substantial differences between zygote and full-fledged adult...you have GOT to be joking!
Specialization of cell types alone is a substantial difference. DNA is a blueprint for replication and specialization...you're not made up of DNA. You're made up of carbon, water and nematodes.

GrandCaravanSE

Every single cell in your body has it's own DNA....as for the 'no substantial differences between zygote and full-fledged adult...you have GOT to be joking!
Specialization of cell types alone is a substantial difference. DNA is a blueprint for replication and specialization...you're not made up of DNA. You're made up of carbon, water and nematodes.

To many big words for me. :confuse3:

MrBishop

were the answer to medical breakthroughs. Of course, there has never been a medical breakthrough using fetal stem cells; but why should that stop the rhetoric?
You do realize that the majority of your list is exactly one procedure, right? Bone marrow transplant...and it's not used as a cure for anything mentioned in the list, but a way of recovering white and red blood cells post radiation/chemo therapies.

Embryonic stem cells kill cancer:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051012084443.htm
ES Cells to replace cadaver cells in Diabetes: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesResource/story?id=4318544

Cure blindness: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081120210853.htm
Restore hearing: http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...6B_Jww&usg=AFQjCNHkvZsm3kRP-5B2oCvPo_3x-a7SfA

2minkey

bootlicker
The only thing I would take exception to with your contention is that a sperm and an ovum are living organisms. Both are one celled organisms and by virtue of that are not living organisms...

um, no, not by virtue of THAT, specifically, jim. there are plenty of single-celled organisms that are "living organisms."

MrBishop

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/11/stem-cell-trach.html
In a bizarre story that combines two of the most controversial topics of the modern era -- stem cell research and airport security guidelines -- the BBC reports that a pioneering trachea transplant nearly didn't take place because of some draconian check-in agents at low-cost carrier Easyjet.

Tuesday's first-ever trachea transplant without immunosuppression was a giant leap forward in transplant technology and also drastically improved the lung function of 30-year-old Claudia Castillo. In order for her body not to reject the donor trachea, stem cells from Castillo would have to be introduced to the donor trachea.

The problem? The stem cells were at the University of Bristol while the donor trachea was in Barcelona, and the cells had to reach Barcelona in 16 hours. The team in Bristol booked the only direct Bristol-to-Barcelona flight -- on low-cost carrier Easyjet -- received permission from the airline to carry the cells, and prepared to make history.

Once they reached the check-in counter, the group of scientists found an obstacle that even years of medical research couldn't surmount: airport security. "Check-in staff said that they couldn't take the material on board and that it could have been some kind of dangerous material," University of Bristol Professor Anthony Hollander told the BBC. "After significant debate, it was concluded that it wasn't going to happen."

What happened next was one part House and two parts Indiana Jones.
In a fortunate plot-twist, German medical student Philip Jungerbluth was due to accompany the stem cells on the flight and just happened to know a surgeon who piloted his own private jet. After a phone call, the surgeon was able to reach Bristol in two hours. Unfortunately, that flight cost the University of Bristol more than $20,000 -- just slightly less than Easyjet's optional travel insurance.

Easyjet's detailed baggage policies speak only of allowances for items that are medically necessary to a passenger and make no mention of allowances for such items as transplant organs or stem cells. For passengers with "specific requirements" the carrier requests that passengers call the airline (at 10p a minute!) -- which the BBC says the University of Bristol researchers did.

Despite the eventually successful transplant and all the research that went into it, perhaps what's most noteworthy is that Easyjet actually offered a refund for the tickets of the medical team.
:alienhuh:

jimpeel

Troll and you know it.

How do you know that they didn't sit offscreen watching -- the proverbial lurkers we speak of -- before deciding to join the board?

If they do a hit 'n run and never return then you can call them a troll. Until then, shut your piehole and watch and see.

Currently Active Users
17 (2 members & 15 guests)

jimpeel

You're made up of carbon, water and nematodes.

[Homer]MMMMMMM. Little hollow worms. MMMMMMMM[/Homer]

nematode (něm'ə-tōd') Pronunciation Key
Any of several slender, cylindrical worms of the group Nematoda, which some scientists consider to be a class of the aschelminths and others to be a separate phylum. Most nematodes are tiny and live in enormous numbers in water, soil, plants, and animals. They have a simple structure, with a long hollow gut separated from the body wall by a fluid-filled space. Several nematodes, such as pinworm, roundworm, filaria, and hookworm, are parasites on animals and humans and cause disease. One species, Caenorhabditis elegans (usually called C. elegans), was one of the first animals to have its entire genome sequenced and is important in biological research as a model organism.

The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
Copyright © 2002 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Professur

How do you know that they didn't sit offscreen watching -- the proverbial lurkers we speak of -- before deciding to join the board?

If they do a hit 'n run and never return then you can call them a troll. Until then, shut your piehole and watch and see.

Currently Active Users
17 (2 members & 15 guests)

Jim, how do members in invisible mode appear?

BeardofPants

I've explained to him several times now that invisible guests tend to be 'bots, but the stupid man never seems to read & absorb it.

jimpeel

Jim, how do members in invisible mode appear?

Where, exactly, did I use the term "invisible mode" in the post you quoted?

What I said was:

The stat on the main page of TRW stated, at that moment in time, that there were 17 persons viewing the board (2 members & 15 guests). Guests are persons who are NOT members of the board and have NOT registered on the site for posting privileges. They are the lurkers who come here to read but not to post. I never called them "invisible" nor that they somehow magically "appear".

jimpeel

I've explained to him several times now that invisible guests tend to be 'bots, but the stupid man never seems to read & absorb it.

And those "several times" would be located exactly where?

Oh, yeah, it was ONCE at THIS POST wherein you posted:

You know most of those are 'bots, right?

You may think me "stupid" but at least I know the difference between "once" and "several".

I also know the difference between "most" and "all". Even if 14 of the 15 lurkers were 'bots' it does not negate what I posted.

And, unlike yourself, I know what I have posted so that I don't exaggerate the number of times I have posted it. It proves you an idiot that doesn't even know what they have posted in the past or how many times.

If you are going to refer to someone as "stupid" you should not reveal your own insipid stupidity while doing so.

jimpeel

I've actually said it more than once, smarty-pants. Go look more.

You show me where they are. I did an advanced search in all forums for the word "bots" posted by BeardofPants and got one -- COUNT 'EM -- ONE hit.

Nevermind. I figured it out.