But I thought only fetal stem cells ...

jimpeel

Jim, how do members in invisible mode appear?

Figured out "invisible mode" as it pertains to members. The answer is that ythey don't "appear". Their online status is masked at the posts and all that is shown on the main page is the number of members vs the number of names shown. Right now, the stat shows this:

Currently Active Users
18 (5 members & 13 guests)
jimpeel, 2minkey, Cerise, Professur = 4

BoP is in invisible mode but still appears as a number in the stat.

MrBishop

Where, exactly, did I use the term "invisible mode" in the post you quoted?

What I said was:

The stat on the main page of TRW stated, at that moment in time, that there were 17 persons viewing the board (2 members & 15 guests). Guests are persons who are NOT members of the board and have NOT registered on the site for posting privileges. They are the lurkers who come here to read but not to post. I never called them "invisible" nor that they somehow magically "appear".
Guests are also search-bots that aren't named. Yahoo search, Inktomi spiders and Google Bots are named, but there are LOTS of unnamed search bots out there.

Many of the guests aren't actual live lurkers. I'd put them at under 10% just as a guess.

jimpeel

Guests are also search-bots that aren't named. Yahoo search, Inktomi spiders and Google Bots are named, but there are LOTS of unnamed search bots out there.

Many of the guests aren't actual live lurkers. I'd put them at under 10% just as a guess.

Still makes them non-bot live persons, doesn't it? Still can't find those "several" times I was told that by BoP.

nalani

Christians have banned a lot of things .. in fact, nearly every religion has banned one thing or another in the attempt to be 'pure'. And no, I'm not going to provide links and proof because most everyone here knows all you want it for is an argument. It's no different than a lot of posts in this forum .. put up a link .. give your "super ethnocentric two cents that is supposed to be the end all", then when anyone else gives a varying opinion he/she is jumped on with, "POST YOUR PROOF!!!" .. "LINK, PLEASE" .. blahblahblah .. it's a sad plot that takes all of 5 minutes to come up to fill your day with endless arguing until the next post is made ..

jimpeel

That post does not come up on the search engine at all. I get only two hits and one of those was her saying she had said it before.

So she said it twice and that is just fine. Still not "several" but still also not "only one". "Most" is also not "all". There are real live persons watching the board whether she likes it or not.

For what its worth, ospeav has yet to reappear since his/her two posts.

BeardofPants

OMG dude. WTF?

Let me re-word it then, if it'll make your lil' brain happy.

I've told you MORE THAN ONCE that most of those guests are bots.

As far as the number of "real live" guests on the online page, I would wager that it is far less than the 10% than Bish's supposition, so, your holiest of infinite wisdom ain't gettin' spread that far, bub.

MrBishop

http://www.smartbrief.com/news/adva...A&copyid=9679CA01-EA5F-4459-9FF7-ED27A03D8B2C
Stroke patient responds well to stem cell therapy

AdvaMed SmartBrief | 12/03/2008
A 49-year-old man who received Biocompatibles International's stem cell therapy for stroke regained speech and recovered from paralysis, CEO Crispin Simon said. Simon clarified that the findings were from a single case and not outcomes from a study of the treatment, which is in Phase I/II development. Reuters (12/02) Times (London), The (12/03)

http://www.smartbrief.com/news/adva...A&copyid=9679CA01-EA5F-4459-9FF7-ED27A03D8B2C

jimpeel

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-med-stem-cell-caution,0,1346774.story

Los Angeles Times

Be wary of Web sites touting stem cell treatments, says study finding lack of medical evidence
By MALCOLM RITTER, AP Science Writer
12:10 PM PST, December 3, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) _ Consumers should be wary of Web sites from clinics that offer stem cell treatments, says a study that found a lack of firm medical evidence to back up their claims.

The Web sites in the study generally portrayed their therapies as safe, effective and ready for routine use, but published research doesn't support that "overoptimistic" picture, the study authors said.

The analysis is presented in the December issue of the journal Cell Stem Cell by scientists at the University of Alberta in Canada. They cautioned that their overall findings can't be applied to the claims of any individual clinic.

Last July, the researchers looked for published studies in human patients about using stem cells to treat the medical conditions mentioned most often by the Web sites: multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases, spinal cord injury, stroke and heart attack.

They reported finding some encouraging hints but no clear evidence of benefit.

[more]