can we modify invisible mode?

unclehobart

I don't mind being visible for everyone to see... It lets everyone know you're around and gets the PMs flowing and the 'hellos' started in the shoutbox. What I don't like is the location tracker within the 'whos online' area. I don't like people knowing what I am doing in specific. If I'm in a thread or responding to a thread... its fine... Its just when I'm writing and answering PMs that it bothers me. Thats private. I dislike having my private activities monitored... watching the tennis match of a PM being volleyed back and forth between two people all afternoon. I can't help but feel that people are starting oer my shoulder trying to guess whom I am talking to. So my question is this: ... can we add another checkable box within the options area of the account that lets us control wether we want our location visible or not? ... or at least just no longer reference the private messaging system? I'm not suggesting that the location indicator be removed altogether as I too like watching the spiders sifting through the database. I just want a smidgeon of more personal privacy to be offered to registered members.

...or am I just being paranoid?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching.

I agree, two votes for yes.

greenfreak

That's the whole reason I went invisible in the first place. People would ask me who I was PM'ing, or why I was looking at a certain thread. I don't like that kind of nosiness. If it was changed, I would go off invisible and just put that check box on.

AlphaTroll

Yup, I went invisible for two reasons - one so that people couldn't see what I was busy doing and bug me about who I'm chatting with. And two because I'm logged in from work and instead of logging on & off the whole time I just keep it on, so my name may show as here when in fact I'm busy doing something else, it caused a bit of confusion.

But then I learnt that even if you are invisible admins could still see you & can even see who you are PM'ing and so on (though they can't read the messages). I thought that was weird, don't mind that they can see if I'm here or not, after all everyone can figure that one out when you start posting. But I found the PM bit slightly worrying. Dunno if it's true though, so maybe someone could explain whether they can or not?

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
yes as an admin i can see the volleys, not that i care though. even in invisable mode i can see who is actually on. as far as i know it either all on or all off. fury would have to look into it in more detail to see if there is a mod or something. BUT i dont want to go modding this version as it is not the final and will be still going thru upgrades. which causes major problems when we do the upgrades.
So for now i guess its either on or off.

unclehobart

Not right now. Get Furys opinion as to wether the activity line item can be masked out without disrputing the whole magilla first. If so.. lets make it happen. If not.. then we can discuss the ramifications of turning off the entire whos online subset. I don't want to risk a nuclear meltdown of the database because of trying to line item chop up the coding.

Oz

Admins and mods can still do wot yer seeing in invisible mode?....pfft...that's the only reason I went invisible in the first place.

Think it's a top idea Unc :)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Oz said:
Admins and mods can still do wot yer seeing in invisible mode?....pfft...that's the only reason I went invisible in the first place.

Think it's a top idea Unc :)

I don't know, I like Unc's idea for the general Pop, and I don't really mind if the admins or mods can see what I'm doing, I figure that's kinda their job, and if they're abusing it, then we have bigger problems than if they can see us or not.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
yeah, sad but true, it's proven to be absolutely necessary in the past, and the not so distant past too :eh:

Thulsa Doom

well i could really care less who sees what im doing when im on here. its a message board. i dont get the big secrecy. if someone PMs me when im on but not actually at my computer then they dont get a message back. easy as that. but just let me know when the OTC satellite digital camera program yall are working on is ready to run so I can put a big tooth brush smilie on my roof.

chcr

Too cute for words
I'm with Thulsa. I've never had anyone ask me about PMs (don't do that many) but if someone did I'd tell them where to stick the long nose. :D

nalani

I got a better idea - let's modify the lives of the nosey people who have nothing better to do than watch the 'Who's Online' area ... puhlease people .. who really cares who's PMing whom? If you do, you are in serious need of a life ... Personally, I have nothing to hide - so look on if you want ... I have no reasons to be paranoid.