Can you say...

jimpeel

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i5TtajgUpSm7KY5jf-lCJGHBB-tAD95CJ0N82

Oil ends above $40 as Middle East fighting rages

By JOHN PORRETTO – 21 hours ago

HOUSTON (AP) — Crude prices rose above $40 a barrel Monday as Israel and Palestinian militants exchanged rocket fire and the death toll mounted in the oil-rich region.

Light trading contributed to market volatility in the final days of 2008, with price swings of close to $5 a barrel.

Light, sweet crude for February delivery rose $2.31 cents to settle at $40.02 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, the first time crude has ended the day above $40 in a week. Nymex will be closed Thursday for the New Year's Day holiday.

Retail gasoline prices in the U.S. continued to fall and neared $1.60 per gallon nationally Monday.

In the Middle East, Israel destroyed symbols of Hamas power on the third day of what the defense minister described Monday as a "war to the bitter end." The three-day death toll rose to at least 364 on Monday, with some 1,400 reported wounded. Israel launched its campaign, the deadliest against Palestinians in decades, on Saturday in retaliation for rocket fire aimed at civilians in southern Israeli towns.

Israel obliterated symbols of Hamas power, with missiles striking next to the Hamas premier's home, and devastating a security compound and a university building.

Phil Flynn, an analyst at Alaron Trading Corp. in Chicago, called oil's initial run-up "an emotional reaction to what was going on in Israel," and said similar, short-lived spikes have occurred during other clashes in the region.

"In reality, the likelihood the conflict is going to interrupt oil supply in any way, shape or form is highly unlikely," Flynn said. "Obviously, if the conflict widens, and other countries get involved directly, you might have a different situation."

[more]

jimpeel

The Battle of Yamama? Imagine how that started.

"You talkin' ta me?"

"Yeah, I'm talkin' ta youse."

"Youse wanna make sumpin' of it?"

"Aaaa, Yamama."

"My mama?"

"Yeah, Yamama."

And from that point the battle of Yamama was waged with extreme prejudice.

The preceding brought to you by "Great moments in Muslim war history" and your local sheep's eye and couscous dealers.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If only they'd march in protest when shells were raining down into Israel. THEN, we might consider their plight honest.

spike

If only they'd march in protest when shells were raining down into Israel. THEN, we might consider their plight honest.

Like we won't consider Israel's plight honest until all the Israelis march in protest when their bombs are raining down on Palestinians right?

Frodo said:
They were dancing in the streets on 9/11/01. Does that count?

I see what you did there. Tried to generalize a few people into representing everyone. It's ok, we see that a lot here.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Like we won't consider Israel's plight honest until all the Israelis march in protest when their bombs are raining down on Palestinians right?

Why would they protest their government doing its job by protecting them? Oh, and by the way, there are quote a few Israelis who publically protest their government's actions. Although, I've never seen any of them dance in the streets when the enemy is bombed.

spike

Why would they protest their government doing its job by protecting them?

Indeed. That wasn't the question though.

Oh, and by the way, there are quote a few Israelis who publically protest their government's actions.

Good, I imagine some of them do. Some Palestinians probably protest similar things.

Although, I've never seen any of them dance in the streets when the enemy is bombed.

I'm not sure how much time you've spent in Israel but I bet some Israelis celebrate (dancing or otherwise) when bombs are dropped.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What thery do, privately, is their business. They aren't out publically celebrating...that is the difference. Likewise, you don't see many (any) Palestinians publically denouncing Arafat/Hamas.

spike

What thery do, privately, is their business. They aren't out publically celebrating...that is the difference. Likewise, you don't see many (any) Palestinians publically denouncing Arafat/Hamas.

I'm sure many do celebrate publically and I'm not sure why you think less Palestinians denounce their government then Israelis denounce theirs?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If you have evidence to the contrary, present it. I've not seen anything to prove me incorrect in my statements. Watch any news channel to see what I see.

spike

If you have evidence to the contrary, present it. I've not seen anything to prove me incorrect in my statements. Watch any news channel to see what I see.

Maybe if you have any evidence you could present it because I haven't seen anything proving me incorrect. Or I could just tell you to watch the news.

The fact is many Palestinians approve of strikes against Israel and many Israelis approve of strikes against Palestine.

Then again about half of Israelis don't support them and polls of Palestinians have routinely showed fluctuating middle of the road support for their policies.

jimpeel

And what does the President Elect have to say on these goings on in Gaza?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=090103214058.23r7czam&show_article=1

Obama keeps silent on explosive Gaza conflict
Jan 3 05:41 PM US/Eastern

As the clock ticks down to Barack Obama's inauguration, the US president-elect has kept silent on the decades-old Israeli-Palestinian conflict and its latest deadly turn in the Gaza Strip.

Obama transition officials have ventured little more than saying their boss is "monitoring" the situation in Gaza, where at least 460 people have been killed in eight days of air raids before a ground offensive began Saturday.

In the same period, Gaza militant rockets have killed four Israelis and wounded several dozen people.

"The president-elect is closely monitoring global events, including the situation in Gaza," his national security spokeswoman Brooke Anderson said in a statement after the ground assault got underway.

But she offered no further comment on the violence in Gaza and used a phrase repeated often by Obama and his aides: "There is one president at a time and we intend to respect that."

Senior advisor David Axelrod said Sunday that Obama is "committed" to achieving peace in the Middle East, in the only extended comments from the president-elect's team so far.

"Obviously, this situation has become even more complicated in the last couple of days and weeks... But it's something that he's committed to," Axelrod told CBS television.

Obama transition team officials told AFP the president-elect would not comment publicly in the coming days on the Gaza offensive, and the future president will likely keep silent on the issue until his January 20 inauguration.

His muted response has already drawn the anger of some in the Middle East.

"The start is not good," said Khaled Meshaal, leader of the Hamas Islamist movement that has ruled Gaza since June 2007.

"You commented on Mumbai but you say nothing about the crime of the enemy (Israel). This policy of double standards should stop."

Obama will be hard pressed to address the conflict, the worst in the region since the summer 2006 war in Lebanon and the latest addition to the growing list of foreign policy crises on his agenda.

[more]

But, hey, maybe the President Elect is too busy to respond to the Gaza crisis.

668_1229558845.jpg

And, yes, that actually is him.

spike

That is not what we're talking about.

Seemed pretty close. What are we talking about then? You figure it all boils down to publicly celebrating as opposed to openly supporting?

Kinda a style thing?

spike

And what does the President Elect have to say on these goings on in Gaza?

But, hey, maybe the President Elect is too busy to respond to the Gaza crisis.

The president elect can't really do anything and it would out of place for him to be making decisions on this untl it's his job. Soon.

In the meantime I'm wondering why you're not focusing on what the current president who can make decisions on the matter is doing. What is he doing about it by the way?

And, yes, that actually is him.

Great picture. he looks way better smoking than when the Bush family smokes.