Character Assasination

tank girl

Prior to the 9th century CE, There was a widespread popular belief that evil Witches existed. They were seen as evil persons, primarily women, who devoted their lives to harming and killing others through black magic and evil sorcery. The Catholic church at the time officially taught that such Witches did not exist. It was a heresy to say that they were real.

1326: The Church authorized the Inquisition to investigate Witchcraft and to develop "demonology," the theory of the diabolic origin of Witchcraft. 1
bullet

1330: The popular concept of Witches as evil sorcerers is expanded to include belief that they swore allegiance to Satan, had sexual relations with the Devil, kidnapped and ate children, etc.
bullet

1347 to 1349: The Black Death epidemic killed a sizeable part of the European population. Conspiracy theories spread. Lepers, Jews, Muslims and Witches were accused of poisoning wells and spreading disease.

1430's: Christian theologians started to write articles and books which "proved" the existence of Witches. 2
bullet

1450: The first major witch-hunts began in many western European countries. The Roman Catholic Church created an imaginary evil religion, using stereotypes that had circulated since pre-Christian times. They said that Pagans who worshiped Diana and other Gods and Goddesses were evil Witches who kidnapped babies, killed and ate their victims, sold their soul to Satan, were in league with demons, flew through the air, met in the middle of the night, caused male impotence and infertility, caused male genitals to disappear, etc. Historians have speculated that this religiously inspired genocide was motivated by a desire by the Church to attain a complete religious monopoly, or was

"a tool of repression, a form of reining-in deviant behavior, a backlash against women, or a tool of the common people to name scapegoats for spoiled crops, dead livestock or the death of babies and children."

Walter Stephens, a professor of Italian studies at Johns Hopkins University, proposes a new theory: "I think Witches were a scapegoat for God." 3

Religious leaders felt that they had to retain the concepts of both an omnipotent and an all-loving deity. Thus, they had to invent Witches and demons in order to explain the existence of evil in the world. This debate, about how an all-good and all-powerful God can coexist in the world with evil is now called Theodicy. Debate continues to the present day.

1692: We all know about Salem.

1953: Arthur Miller writes 'The Crucible' "which used the witch trials of Salem, Massachusetts in 1692 as an allegory for McCarthyism and the Red Scare, which occurred in the United States in the 1950s. Miller was himself questioned by the House Committee on Un-American Activities in 1956.

sayeth the Witch-hunter :
"It has recently come to our ears ... that in some parts of upper OTCENTRAL, as RW, Lunatic lounge, Entertainment ... persons of both sexes, ... forsaking the faith... give themselves over to devils male and female, and by their incantations, charms, and conjurings, and by other abominable superstitions and sortileges... ruin and cause to perish the offspring of women, the foal of animals, the products of the earth... as well as men and women, cattle and flocks and herds... vineyards also and orchards... that they afflict and torture with dire pains and anguish, both internal and external, these men, women, cattle, flocks, herds, and animals, and hinder men from begetting and women from conceiving, and prevent all consummation of marriage; that, moreover, they deny... the faith they received in holy baptism... and perpetrate many other abominable offences and crimes... to the pernicious example and scandal of multitudes."

co8s.jpg

Scene 5: 'Burn the witch!'

--------------------------------------------------------------

MONKS: [chanting]
Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem.
[bonk]
Pie Iesu domine,...
[bonk]
[PICTURE]
...dona eis requiem.
[bonk]
Pie Iesu domine,...
[bonk]
...dona eis requiem.
CROWD:
A witch! A witch!
[bonk]
A witch! A witch!
MONKS: [chanting]
Pie Iesu domine...
CROWD:
A witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! We've found a witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! We've got a witch! A witch! A witch! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! We've found a witch! We've found a witch! A witch! A witch! A witch!
VILLAGER #1:
We have found a witch. May we burn her?
CROWD:
Burn her! Burn! Burn her! Burn her!
BEDEVERE:
How do you know she is a witch?
VILLAGER #2:
She looks like one.
CROWD:
Right! Yeah! Yeah!
BEDEVERE:
Bring her forward.
WITCH:
I'm not a witch. I'm not a witch.
BEDEVERE:
Uh, but you are dressed as one.
WITCH:
They dressed me up like this.
CROWD:
Augh, we didn't! We didn't...
WITCH:
And this isn't my nose. It's a false one.
BEDEVERE:
Well?
VILLAGER #1:
Well, we did do the nose.
[PICTURE]
BEDEVERE:
The nose?
VILLAGER #1:
And the hat, but she is a witch!
VILLAGER #2:
Yeah!
CROWD:
We burn her! Right! Yeaaah! Yeaah!
BEDEVERE:
Did you dress her up like this?
VILLAGER #1:
No!
VILLAGER #2 and 3:
No. No.
VILLAGER #2:
No.
VILLAGER #1:
No.
VILLAGERS #2 and #3:
No.
VILLAGER #1:
Yes.
VILLAGER #2:
Yes.
VILLAGER #1:
Yes. Yeah, a bit.
VILLAGER #3:
A bit.
VILLAGERS #1 and #2:
A bit.
VILLAGER #3:
A bit.
VILLAGER #1:
She has got a wart.
RANDOM:
[cough]
BEDEVERE:
What makes you think she is a witch?
[PICTURE]
VILLAGER #3:
Well, she turned me into a newt.
BEDEVERE:
A newt?
VILLAGER #3:
I got better.
VILLAGER #2:
Burn her anyway!
VILLAGER #1:
Burn!
CROWD:
Burn her! Burn! Burn her!...
BEDEVERE:
Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.
VILLAGER #1:
Are there?
[PICTURE]
VILLAGER #2:
Ah?
VILLAGER #1:
What are they?
CROWD:
Tell us! Tell us!...
VILLAGER #2:
Do they hurt?
BEDEVERE:
Tell me. What do you do with witches?
VILLAGER #2:
Burn!
VILLAGER #1:
Burn!
CROWD:
Burn! Burn them up! Burn!...
BEDEVERE:
And what do you burn apart from witches?
VILLAGER #1:
More witches!
VILLAGER #3:
Shh!
VILLAGER #2:
Wood!
BEDEVERE:
So, why do witches burn?
[pause]
VILLAGER #3:
B--... 'cause they're made of... wood?
BEDEVERE:
Good! Heh heh.
CROWD:
Oh, yeah. Oh.
BEDEVERE:
So, how do we tell whether she is made of wood?
VILLAGER #1:
Build a bridge out of her.
BEDEVERE:
Ah, but can you not also make bridges out of stone?
VILLAGER #1:
Oh, yeah.
RANDOM:
Oh, yeah. True. Uhh...
BEDEVERE:
Does wood sink in water?
VILLAGER #1:
No. No.
VILLAGER #2:
No, it floats! It floats!
VILLAGER #1:
Throw her into the pond!
CROWD:
The pond! Throw her into the pond!
BEDEVERE:
What also floats in water?
VILLAGER #1:
Bread!
VILLAGER #2:
Apples!
VILLAGER #3:
Uh, very small rocks!
VILLAGER #1:
Cider!
VILLAGER #2:
Uh, gra-- gravy!
VILLAGER #1:
Cherries!
VILLAGER #2:
Mud!
VILLAGER #3:
Uh, churches! Churches!
VILLAGER #2:
Lead! Lead!
ARTHUR:
A duck!
CROWD:
Oooh.
[PICTURE]
BEDEVERE:
Exactly. So, logically...
VILLAGER #1:
If... she... weighs... the same as a duck,... she's made of wood.
BEDEVERE:
And therefore?
VILLAGER #2:
A witch!
VILLAGER #1:
A witch!
CROWD:
A witch! A witch!...
VILLAGER #4:
Here is a duck. Use this duck.
[quack quack quack]
BEDEVERE:
Very good. We shall use my largest scales.
CROWD:
Ohh! Ohh! Burn the witch! Burn the witch! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Ahh! Ahh...
BEDEVERE:
Right. Remove the supports!
[whop]
[clunk]
[creak]
[PICTURE]
CROWD:
A witch! A witch! A witch!
WITCH:
It's a fair cop.
VILLAGER #3:
Burn her!
CROWD:
Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn! Burn!...​
[/CENTER]
bonfire.jpg

Adieu,

A.B.Normal

*wanders into the lobby ,trips over the dead horse and walks out wondering why the horse was in the lobby.

unclehobart

I take it that you are feeling persecuted? singled out? beset upon? accused of magics and being against the status quo strictly because it suits our neanderthal 'never rock the boat' mentality? Don't flatter yourself.

There is no lynch mob here. It is strictly a construct of your own baffling rudness... a reaction to your action. Do you think that I see eye to eye half the time with Sam? with Gonz? RM? Winky? Leslie? CHCR? Anyone here? The players in place here are fairly polar opposite camps and go at each other all of the time. They have disagreed and argued and baited one another for years without resorting to the disconnect rabidity you have. You have managed to do the impossible. You have managed to unite the bitterest of opponents into a wall against you. No camp will claim you. You have deliberately sought to distance yourself from the herd as a free thinker of sorts and then constantly complained about how lonely you are once you achieved it. Either embrace the path you have chosen or abandon it. Just stop whining about it. You cannot claim martyr status. It has to be granted you.

ResearchMonkey

I have to say, this is one of the more fantstic "I'm taking my ball and going home" threads I have ever seen.

Quit playing the victim, that's a lousy role to pull-upon yourself and it's no way to go thru life.

While witches have become famous for the occasional period of persicution. The persicuted victim of the ages has always been the village idiot.

Fortunatly, you are neither a witch or an idiot. You're just ornery-stubborn like a dagnabbit mule that won't budge without dynamite.

UncleHogarth's right; the "real world" it can be tough, not for the faint-of-heart or the weak-of-mind. It clearly says so under the titile.

*....My little town blues, Are melting away...
I'm gonna make a brand new start of it, On O-T-C...
If I can make it there, I'd make it anywhere
Come on, come through, OTC, OhTeeeCCCCCC
...da-lump-lump-lumpy-lump*

I know I've taken several severe beatings the forum. There's usually some give and take. Hell, I have conceded to ThulsaDoom on several occasions ....thats oil and water baby. When TD and I get together its like using water put out a phosphorous fire. (love ya TD :D )

Sweet-pea,

If your gonna post something expect to be held responsible for it. It'll usually get scrutinized, you need to be able to show the validity of it to some degree. At least you have to be able to consider that there is merrit in the opposition when undeniable facts are presented.

I can only speak for myself; I hope you choose to stay, participate, learn as well as teach. Theres lots of knowledge and insight to be gained in these threads, there is no gain in being a quitter. I was sure you were the intelligent modern woman (read: strength), less the cut and run ...maybe I was wrong :shrug:

Give it a day, take a break, come back ready to play.

....whose yerr buddy? :winkkiss:

:swing:

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Unc and RM, you are the statemen with words of eloquence. I cannot say it any better than you have.
TG as you have found out here and I'm sure in real life To get respect you have to earn it. Nothing is given freely, It has to be earned. After reading All of your post and watching you circle the points and change subjects when you could no longer adequately defend your own thoughts. I cannot feel sympathy for you. You brought it on youself.
You came in like a bull in a china shop. And now you want us to feel sorry for you?
You will get no where in life with the attitude you project. You MUST be willing to look at all sides of a situation, and come to a solution(which you say dont exist). Instead your path was if i cant be right neither can anyone else.

I sincerly hope this isnt a trait you have in real life, or all will be for naught.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
unclehobart said:
Umm... Is there a point to this?

She's a.....witch?

Humans, by nature, work and live in groups and have criteria for acceptance and rejection. It's a mechanism for justice, and a way to enforce standards of behavior in group members. The threat of rejection is the enforcement muscle.
:eek:

tank girl

oh you guys...you take me so seriously :eyebrow:

Now, is it my fault you can't take my sense of humour?

:grinno:

there is no point - thats the point :winkkiss:

tank girl

there is more to having a sense of humour than trying outwardly to be funny and make people laugh.

Seinfelid was cancelled because it wasn't rating...no ratings equal no profit for the network :eyebrow:... plenty of people loved the show.

The difference is that I'm not trying to make any money for anyone. But If I were, so far I'd say that I'd be off to a good start :grinno:

In my case, its just pure old-fashioned satire, but there you go.