Congressional Meddling In Religion Violates Church-State Separation, Says Americans

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What do you want? Where are you leading the conversation? Can you add refernce or context to the provided quotes?

Last chance.

Inkara1

He's saying that your posts look like you trying to pass off others' content as your own. You'll probably say that's not your intent, but what you say your intent is isn't important. It's called plagiarism. It's also called a violation of copyright and it opens the site to litigation.

MrBishop

Re: Congressional Meddling In Religion Violates Church-State Separation, Says America

I don't get all of my quotes from links. Is the following acceptable citation of my sources, when I don't have links?

Somehow, I don't believe that you're typing all this up by yourself...unless you're copying from a text you've written yourself, which is understandable.

You take text in context and quote the original text, but not the commentary. For instance

Did you personally just compose this part: "Thomas Jefferson defeated President John Adams in his bid for reelection in 1800. In a letter to Benjamin Rush, Adams claimed "a national fast recommended by me turned me out of office." He was suspected of "meddling with religion" and "charged with an… attempt to promote a national establishment of Presbyterianism in America…”" ?

The second part 'in italics' is referenced here: --A letter from John Adams to Benjamin Rush dated June 12, 1812. The letter appears in “Old Family Letters: Copied from the Originals for Alexander Biddle. Series A. Phila., 1892. This volume comprises letters written to Benjamin Rush by John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. The letter is found on pages 392-93.

But the commentary isn't. If you are quoting someone else's commentary, post a link. If this is your commentary..say so.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
He has, to his credit, generally given reference to the piece he's quoting. Obviously, he's cutting & pasting, which is ok, provided there are links to the original interenet peice or reference to the orginal document.

Howeverm it's become a home away from home for Americans for Seperation of Church & State propaganda. Without his adding something of interest to place the piece in context to HIM, it'll soon get edited out.

f you Google particualr phrases, you can find him on a rampage 'net wide. It's gettng boring to read 200 year old letters without relevence to his opinoin.

FredFlash

Banned
Re: Congressional Meddling In Religion Violates Church-State Separation, Says America

Somehow, I don't believe that you're typing all this up by yourself...unless you're copying from a text you've written yourself, which is understandable.

I have typed up some of the quotations, but I have not typed up long ones. Sometimes I scan the pages of a book into a word processing program with a very sophisticated OCS device which does about 95% of the typing for me

Sometimes I obtain the quotes from the manuscripts of academic works that I am asked to read and criticize prior to publication. Sometimes I get the quotes from the authors of essays that appear in academic journals that were typed by them or an assistant. Sometimes the library that owns the document has photocopies or typed transcripts of the document and emails them to me.

You take text in context and quote the original text, but not the commentary. For instance

Did you personally just compose this part: "Thomas Jefferson defeated President John Adams in his bid for reelection in 1800. In a letter to Benjamin Rush, Adams claimed "a national fast recommended by me turned me out of office." He was suspected of "meddling with religion" and "charged with an… attempt to promote a national establishment of Presbyterianism in America…”"

Yes, I compose that

The second part 'in italics' is referenced here: --A letter from John Adams to Benjamin Rush dated June 12, 1812. The letter appears in “Old Family Letters: Copied from the Originals for Alexander Biddle. Series A. Phila., 1892. This volume comprises letters written to Benjamin Rush by John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. The letter is found on pages 392-93.

But the commentary isn't. If you are quoting someone else's commentary, post a link. If this is your commentary..say so.

I thought by indenting and italicizing the passage from the letter and then by indenting the citation, it was clear that citation referenced only the passage from the letter. Nevertheless, I will endeavor to distinguish my comments from the quotations I use, and to properly document the source of the quotations I use, with links, if such are available.

Gotholic

In other words, civil government has no legitimate authority over the people's sentiments regarding "Trust In God"; whether the people are "under God", when, where or what the people should pray; or what God should be placed before the others, etc. That is why in Jefferson's day, there was no "In God We Trust" on the nation's coins; no "under God" in a oath of allegiance to the Flag; no prayers written by the government and urged upon the people by the civil magistrate; no religious commandments recommended to the people by the federal government; and no executive religious recommendations in 17 of the first 25 years of the republic and none whatsoever in the second 25 years under the U. S. Constitution.

You are blatantly ignoring facts. Facts, such as this one as I have pointed out:

Jefferson proposed that the Great Seal of the United States depict a story from the Bible and include the word “God” in its motto. Source: Thomas Jefferson, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Julian P. Boyd, editor (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1950), Vol. I, pp. 494-497, from “Report on a Seal for the United States, with Related Papers,” August 20, 1776; See also this article.

“No nation has ever existed or been governed without religion. Nor can be. The Christian religion is the best religion that has been given to man and I, as Chief Magistrate of this nation, am bound to give it the sanction of my example.”

Source: See the records recently reprinted by James Hutson, Chief of the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. Religion and the Founding of the American Republic (Washington, D. C.: Library of Congress, 1998), p.96, quoting from a handwritten history in possession of the Library of Congress, “Washington Parish, Washington City,” by Rev. Ethan Allen.
Are you aware that you are relying on fifth hand hearsay; and do you even care that Jefferson probably never said it.

I do not think it is "fifth hand hearsay", and Jefferson's actions support that quote.

Jefferson urged local governments to make land available specifically for Christian purposes. Source: Letter of Thomas Jefferson to Bishop Carroll on September 3, 1801 (in the Library of Congress, #19966).
There is no such letter. Prove I am wrong and that you and David Barton are not "Liars For Jesus", by posting the letter here for us to read.

You can read the letter here. :D

FredFlash

Banned

Jefferson proposed that the Great Seal of the United States depict a story from the Bible and include the word “God” in its motto. Source: Thomas Jefferson, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Julian P. Boyd, editor (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1950), Vol. I, pp. 494-497, from “Report on a Seal for the United States, with Related Papers,” August 20, 1776; See also this article.

What's your point?

FredFlash

Banned

Jefferson urged local governments to make land available specifically for Christian purposes. Source: Letter of Thomas Jefferson to Bishop Carroll on September 3, 1801 (in the Library of Congress, #19966).
There is no such letter. Prove I am wrong and that you and David Barton are not "Liars For Jesus", by posting the letter here for us to read.

You can read the letter here.

Thank you for the link to the letter from Jefferson to Carroll. I read it, and found nothing that Jefferson wrote could be reasonably interpreted as urging local governments to make land available, at no cost, for Christian purposes.

Jefferson informs Carroll that he "has received his application to purchase a site for a Roman Catholic church" and forwarded it. This is just of many examples where evidence cited by David Barton, actually contradicts his claim.

2minkey

bootlicker
if either of you think you're going to reconstruct history through fragments such as the ones yer offering - especially HERE - you're sadly mistaken.

gotholic - it doesn't matter if a bunch of important people in the early US were or were not christians, dolphin squeezers, or cousin kissers. it's pretty obvious that what makes the US unique - even the idea of having a constitution - is a direct outgrowth of the humanist idea(l)s of the enlightenment.

FredFlash

Banned

“No nation has ever existed or been governed without religion. Nor can be. The Christian religion is the best religion that has been given to man and I, as Chief Magistrate of this nation, am bound to give it the sanction of my example.”

I do not think it is "fifth hand hearsay...

Good for you. Now, all you have the to do, is find those words in the U. S. Constitution.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Interesting, you keep saying CONSTITUTION. That document only limits the power of the federal government to specific & spelled out limitations.

The Bill of Rights has the part about allowing the free exercise thereof & the limitation on Congress shall make no law...

However, not in your favor, the last line of the Constitution does acknowledge a deity...
Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names,

MrBishop

It still does in history books, scientific books etc...

A.D. - anno Domini - literally meaning in the year of Our Lord
&
B.C. - Before Christ

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
if either of you think you're going to reconstruct history through fragments such as the ones yer offering - especially HERE - you're sadly mistaken.

:grinyes:

minkey said:
gotholic - it doesn't matter if a bunch of important people in the early US were or were not christians, dolphin squeezers, or cousin kissers. it's pretty obvious that what makes the US unique - even the idea of having a constitution - is a direct outgrowth of the humanist idea(l)s of the enlightenment.

It does matter to a certain point, i.e. where do your values come from. While it can be argued to no end whether the values brought about were based on Judeo-Christianity or not, the fact that most, if not all, of the founding fathers belonged to a Judeo-Christian religion kinda makes the point moot. :shrug: I also don't believe for one minute that FredFlash is responsible for more than 10% of what he writes...

As for the constitution itself, I thought it was a direct outgrowth/evolution of the Magna Carta...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It still does in history books, scientific books etc...

A.D. - anno Domini - literally meaning in the year of Our Lord
&
B.C. - Before Christ

I've noticed they have added a letter...B.C.E -Before Common Era...to seem less relgious.

FredFlash

Banned

Interesting, you keep saying CONSTITUTION. That document only limits the power of the federal government to specific & spelled out limitations.

Where did you flunk Constitution 101? Change the word "limitations" to "enumerated powers" and your statement would be accurate.

The Bill of Rights has the part about allowing the free exercise thereof & the limitation on Congress shall make no law...

I thought you read the Constitution to prohibit the establishment by law of a national religion, or the prohibition by law of the free exercise of the national religion.

However, not in your favor, the last line of the Constitution does acknowledge a deity...

No it doesn't. The Philadelphia Convention did not vote to put the words "in the year of Our Lord" in the Constitution. It was added by the secretary or a clerk. The only thing it does is identify the epoch of time to which the document belongs.

FredFlash

Banned

...most, if not all, of the founding fathers belonged to a Judeo-Christian religion

I don't think any of the men who framed the Constitution, or voted to ratify it, were of the Jewish faith.

Also, most Christians in the United States believed that Separation of Church and State was an article of faith of true Christianity. The evidence is the articles of faith, of the Liberal Protestant sects, in effect during the early years of the Republic.

The Protestant Episcopal Church in American even amended its creed to conform to the principle of Separation of Church and State embodied in the U. S. Constitution.

The creeds of the conservative/Satanic Protestant sects continued to favor the evil union of religion and government. However, they were the minority.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

Where did you flunk Constitution 101? Change the word "limitations" to "enumerated powers" and your statement would be accurate.

We already have pedanticman here.

I thought you read the Constitution to prohibit the establishment by law of a national religion, or the prohibition by law of the free exercise of the national religion.

How, specifically, did I vary from that interpretation?

No it doesn't. The Philadelphia Convention did not vote to put the words "in the year of Our Lord" in the Constitution. It was added by the secretary or a clerk. The only thing it does is identify the epoch of time to which the document belongs.

Have you an eyewitness or sworn testimony to that? If not, why not?

FredFlash

Banned

How, specifically, did I vary from that interpretation?

According to you silly interpretation, the only religion we can freely exercise is the national religion. However, since we have no national religion to freely exercise, we have no protection whatsoever against the U. S. Government prohibiting the free exercise of religion. Of course, that is exactly what the friends of religious tyranny want.

Have you an eyewitness or sworn testimony to that? If not, why not?

I rely on the records of the Philadelphia Conventions. I will provided the citation upon request.

Are you familiar with the National Reform Association's campaign, from the 1860's to the 1870's, to "Christianize" the U. S. Constitution. They generally rejected the view that "In the year of our Lord" was adequate acknowledgment of God.

They failed to "Christianize" the Constitution. However, they did succeed in getting "In God We Trust" placed on the nation's coins. Many believed that putting God on the coins would please God. However, less than two weeks after President Lincoln signed in to law the evil legislation that put "In God We Trust" on the coins, God allowed an assassin to kill him.