Cover songs

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
We all know 'em. Some we love, some we hate, some we don't even recognize.

Being the music fanatic I am, I've of course run across some rather interesting cover versions of other people's material. Sometimes I hear the original and didn't know the song I'd always loved was a cover at all.

What are some of your favorites?

Personally I like, among others:

W.A.S.P. has done a lot of cover tunes on various albums. Two really stand out as above average. Mississippi Queen, the old Mountain tune, was done very well. And another was Somebody To Love by Jefferson Airplane. Great vocal interpretation on that one.

Cinderella covered the Janis Joplin song Move Over, and did it very well.

Every Mother's Nightmare does a killer version of Long Haired Country Boy, the Charlie Daniels Band song.

Of the twenty or so versions of Born To Be Wild I've heard, Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction do a great cover.

And who could ever forget Motorhead's version of Louie Louie?

chcr

Too cute for words
The Eagles "Old '55" ain't bad.

Faith Hill's version of "Piece of My Heart" makes me want to puke though.

chcr

Too cute for words
Ooh, forgot Hayseed Dixie, although those are "renditions" rather than "covers." I like 'em though. :D

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
MrBishop said:
KISS my ass - another tribute album...some very nice covers. One or two just suck air.

Naturally I own that one. KISS fanatic that I am. The Lenny Kravitz one is decent; then, there is Extreme's version of Strutter... :blow:

Hayseed Dixie is OK. I prefer genuine bluegrass, but some of their stuff is OK. Their KISS cover album is fair; I Love It Loud was my highlight off that one.

I didn't know Ol' 55 was a cover...I got that 45rpm on my jukebox, hafta check that out. [/SnP storing info away for future reference or Jeopardy appearance]

chcr

Too cute for words
SouthernN'Proud said:
I didn't know Ol' 55 was a cover...I got that 45rpm on my jukebox, hafta check that out. [/SnP storing info away for future reference or Jeopardy appearance]

Tom Waits tune. He's an acquired taste, I'll grant you.

BeardofPants

Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" (orig. NIN) is the best cover ever, hands down. The music vid. is good too.

Another cover that is blasphemy is Limp Dick's version of "Behind Blue Eyes". Urgh. :mad:

chcr, I love Tom Waits... Have you heard of Colin Hay? He's awesome as well... Kinda like Tom Waits, but with more of a Randy Newman (folk phase) voice....

PT said:
Madonna's American Pie is the bestest cover ever!!!

;)

Good think I noticed that winky, or I might have been forced to kill you.

kuulani

PT said:
Madonna's American Pie is the bestest cover ever!!!

;)

I think Britney Spear's My Perogative beats that.
:nono: I don't know why anyone would want to dredge up that song in the first place

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
BeardofPants said:
Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" (orig. NIN) is the best cover ever, hands down. The music vid. is good too.
That is a good one, just the thought of Johnny Cash listening to a NiN cd blows me away.

abooja

BeardofPants said:
Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" (orig. NIN) is the best cover ever, hands down.
I forgot about that one! It is a great song. Makes me cry every time I hear it.

freako104

Marilyn Manson: Sweet Dreams

NiN: the pigface song

all the songs on the Black Sabbath cover cd

Johnny Cash: Hurt

Maddonna: American Pie

Godhead: Eleanor Rigby

IDLEchild

RATM's cover of Street Fighting man

Limp Bizket's cover of Faith

Limp Bizket's rendition of the Mission Impossible theme.

Dave

Cowboy Junkies do a great version of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane". Bjork's version is ok too.
i thought Alien Ant Farm did a good job with M. Jackson's "Smooth Criminal"
cant forget Echo and the Bunnymen's version of "People are Strange"

Inkara1

Harry Nilsson's rendition/cover of "Without You" is far and away better than Badfinger's original version of it. It's also better than Mariah Carey's version of it. That's right, she did a cover of a cover (and she obviously covered Nilsson's version because it sounds sort of like that one and nothing like Badfinger's version).