Cover songs

freako104

chcr said:
Cha-ching! ;)

My favorite cover of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is Clapton's. At the risk of being narcissistic, my cover of it ain't half bad either.

Hey freak, the Beatles covered it???? I never heard that one.

Speaking of Dylan covers, "Mr. Tambourine Man" and My Back Pages" by the Byrds and of course Jimi's "All Along the Watchtower" which was so good that Dylan started singing it like that.

Got an obscure Band cover for you youngsters, Joan Baez's cover of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." Whatever you think of her politics (they were mainstream once) she has an incredible voice.

I think so. That si the first version I heard. I would like to hear yours sometime. Does your band have any cds or anythng?

BeardofPants

chcr said:
Hey freak, the Beatles covered it???? I never heard that one.

You haven't heard of it because they never covered it... as far as I know. :confused:

chcr said:
Speaking of Dylan covers, "Mr. Tambourine Man" and My Back Pages" by the Byrds and of course Jimi's "All Along the Watchtower" which was so good that Dylan started singing it like that.... Joan Baez's cover of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." Whatever you think of her politics (they were mainstream once) she has an incredible voice.

Ooh, good mentions. :) I love Baez's voice.

BeardofPants

freako104 said:
I think so. That si the first version I heard. I would like to hear yours sometime. Does your band have any cds or anythng?

Okay, I"m gonna have to ask for proof please. I can't believe in all my beatles mania phases, I missed this one. :alienhuh:

rrfield

Well, seeing as how Dylan's version was released in 1973 and the Beatles broke up in 1969/1970 I doubt the Beatles covered the song.

Dave Matthews Band has a few good covers they play.
Is Chicago (Is Not Chicago) - Soul Coughing
The Maker - Daniel Lanois
For The Beauty of Winona - Daniel Lanois
All Along the Watchtower - Bob Dylan

I really liked Phish's version of "Cities" by the Talking Heads. The Talking Heads cover of Al Green's "Take Me To The River" kicks ass.

rrfield

freako104 said:
I will look for it.

If you find a copy it is probably mislabeled. First, the Beatles broke up in either 1970 or 1969 depending on who you ask. Knocking on Heavens Door was released in 1973.

It's altogether possible that a Beatle covered the song solo, but I seriously doubt it. The Beatles, John in particular, were huge Dylan fans. (Dylan introduced them to pot - they made Ringo try it first). John was very conscious about making sure his songs did not sound too much like Dylan after critics noticed how Dylanesque "I'm A Loser" sounded.

chcr

Too cute for words
freako104 said:

1. I stopped playing in bands before anyone knew from CD burners (heck, before anyone knew from Windows). I'm pretty sure there are tapes in the attic, but I tend to finish a part of my life and leave it behind.

2. If I ever stop procrastinating (work is the punishment for not procrastinating effectively) and finish putting my studio together, I will definitely record you a solo version. Keep bugging me, eventually I'll get tired of it and run all the wires. :D

rr, maybe Ringo, George and others did it in "Concert for Bangladesh?"