Cover songs

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Spot said:
cant forget Echo and the Bunnymen's version of "People are Strange"

Though they're not my usual cup of tea, I agree with that one. Nice cover.

Johnny Winter did a kick-ass version of Jumpin' Jack Flash a long time ago. I've got that on some album or CD around here somewhere...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Marilyn Manson-Beautiful People
Judas Priest-The Green Manalishi
(With The Two-Pronged Crown)
Ted Nugent-Baby, Please Don't Go
Guns n Roses-Sympathy for the Devil

tonksy

garth brooks - hard luck woman (kiss)
cyndi lauper - i drove all night (roy orbison)
dope - you spin me round (dead or alive)
guns'n roses - mama kin (aerosmith)
the grateful dead - whisky in the jar (some irish folk song)

um......

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
freako104 said:
GNR: Knockin on Heaven's Door

A little known band from Australia called Heaven also covered this, and IMO much better than Axl and the boys did.

In case y'all can't tell, this topic has always been one of interest to me. I appreciate the feedback, too. I find it fascinating to both see an artist's influences in what or who they cover, and also to hear the songs done in different styles. Guess that qualifies me as a true :nerd: , but that's OK too.

Any nominations for the truly terrible covers you've heard? I know country artists Crystal Gayle covered an old Whitesnake song from the 70s called Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City...and her version was putrid at best! Poison's cover of Your Mamma Don't Dance was pretty awful too.

Others that come immediately to mind:

* Ted Nugent's Little Red Book (Bert Bachrach)
* Louise Mandrell's Some Girls Have All The Luck (Rod Stewart)
* Dolly Parton's Train, Train (Blackfoot)
* Patty Loveless' Cheap Whiskey (Seldom Scene)

freako104

SouthernN'Proud said:
A little known band from Australia called Heaven also covered this, and IMO much better than Axl and the boys did.

In case y'all can't tell, this topic has always been one of interest to me. I appreciate the feedback, too. I find it fascinating to both see an artist's influences in what or who they cover, and also to hear the songs done in different styles. Guess that qualifies me as a true :nerd: , but that's OK too.

Any nominations for the truly terrible covers you've heard? I know country artists Crystal Gayle covered an old Whitesnake song from the 70s called Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City...and her version was putrid at best! Poison's cover of Your Mamma Don't Dance was pretty awful too.

Others that come immediately to mind:

* Ted Nugent's Little Red Book (Bert Bachrach)
* Louise Mandrell's Some Girls Have All The Luck (Rod Stewart)
* Dolly Parton's Train, Train (Blackfoot)
* Patty Loveless' Cheap Whiskey (Seldom Scene)

what is the band? I like GNRs older stuff(with Slash and Duff and Matt) though not a huge Axel fan. But if their version is better does that mean it sounds more like the Beatles than heavy metal?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
freako104 said:
what is the band? I like GNRs older stuff(with Slash and Duff and Matt) though not a huge Axel fan. But if their version is better does that mean it sounds more like the Beatles than heavy metal?

Originally Posted by SouthernN'Proud
A little known band from Australia called Heaven

BlurOfSerenity

i don't like johnny cash's version of hurt, but then again i've been a hardcore NIN fan for years and may just be biased and thinking no one could ever do it better than trent reznor did.
however, my bf john is a fan of both nin AND cash, and he likes the cash version because you can hear more pain and age and everything else like that in cash's voice.

covers i like:
rufus wainright : hallelujah (leonard cohen)
REM : first we take manhattan (leonard cohen, off the "i'm your fan" tribute album)
16volt : that's what i get (NIN, from a nin tribute album)
20 dead flower children : safety dance (men without hats)

covers i don't like include:
bono's version of Hallelujah (leonard cohen)
and a marilyn manson cover of 'like a virgin' that i got off of napster, listened to about 10 seconds of, and hated it so much i deleted it immediately.

i will add to this list later, and possibly include many punk covers i've liked lately.

tonksy

Gonz said:
Is that the same one done by Thin Lizzy & covered again by Metaliica?
yeah. but the dead and the metallica are so different that you can't really call it the same song...you know.

freako104

SouthernN'Proud said:
Originally Posted by SouthernN'Proud
A little known band from Australia called Heaven

ahh didnt see the name. But I still wonder is it closer to the original beatles version?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
freako104 said:
ahh didnt see the name. But I still wonder is it closer to the original beatles version?

I thought Dylan did the original...

The version by Heaven is preferable to my ear. Others may not agree or even care. Heaven's vocalist was almost Bon Scott's replacement in AC/DC, but his voice isn't quite as raspy as one would imagine. Heaven's cover is keyboardy with an airy, majestic feel punched with the traditional rock instruments...guitar, drum and bass...where appropriate. The vocals are mixed in well and are strong. They didn't "junk up" the melody with fills or any unnecessary flash, just left it simple; still, with the keys in the back, it's a fuller sound at the same time. I really like it. It may not be on CD, I have the LP. It's the title track to their third (and final as far as I know) release. If you happen across a copy, or find it online, and really like the song it's worth the buck or two it'd run you.

chcr

Too cute for words
SouthernN'Proud said:
Cool. Score one for the redneck. :D
Cha-ching! ;)

My favorite cover of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is Clapton's. At the risk of being narcissistic, my cover of it ain't half bad either.

Hey freak, the Beatles covered it???? I never heard that one.

Speaking of Dylan covers, "Mr. Tambourine Man" and My Back Pages" by the Byrds and of course Jimi's "All Along the Watchtower" which was so good that Dylan started singing it like that.

Got an obscure Band cover for you youngsters, Joan Baez's cover of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." Whatever you think of her politics (they were mainstream once) she has an incredible voice.