DAMN I HATE laptops, and OEMs!

Inkara1

I've actually seen (and upgraded) a laptop that came from the factory with Vista... and with 512 MB of RAM.

Winky

We have a wiener, Veeesta’s minimum requirement is 512 Meg of Ram
But it is a fat bloated hawg and needs as close to 4 meg as you can get.
Windose Seven memory model is superior in every way. (they fixed it)

Hasta La Veesta, it took Mickeysoft this long to finally get it right.

None of this pertains to Markie Marks failboating of the laptop troubleshooting.
ol Prof offered the definitive troubleshooting path very early on in this thread
but randumbjackarse isn’t known for his abilities, now is he?

Gee, it’s the SATA Ctrl heh heh

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
you do if you want to run 4 or more gigs of ram

and or an application that is only 64 bit.
Other than that there is little to no reason to run
a 64 Operating System.

Ever since Pentium Pro (at least for the x86) there's support for 36-bit addressing via PAE (wikipedia).

With PAE you're limited to 64GB of RAM and your applications are most likely to become jailed within a 4GB space, unless the OS overcomes this with some tricks. You do need an OS that provides such mechanisms and not one that castrates your computer because you didn't pay for the super plus ultra version.

Applications need to be 64-bits when they work in a transactional way (so to speak) involving huge amounts of data.

64-bit applications are actually slower than 32-bits because:
- They consume more memory, for every integer the computer must store 8 bytes compared to 4 in 32-bit mode.
- Which leads to the data cache of the CPU storing only half as much variables.
- Retrieving such integers from memory takes 64-bits of your bus width, same number of bits that can be used to fetch one integer and prefetch the other simultaneously.

Unless of course, the application NEEDS to work on 64-bit to overcome a penalty in performance that is greater than the aforementioned disadvantages.