DaVinci Code

chcr

Too cute for words
Saw it. I thought they did a pretty good job with it. I think it might be a little hard to follow if you're not familiar with the story, but I could be wrong. Thought Ian McKellen kind of stole the show.

Dave

i figured it would be a decent movie. after all, the book wasnt exactly overloaded with character development and the dialog was almost ready-made for a screenplay.

chcr

Too cute for words
Dave said:
i figured it would be a decent movie. after all, the book wasnt exactly overloaded with character development and the dialog was almost ready-made for a screenplay.
Not to mention all the free publicity. I was surprised to not see any protestors, but we're not that big a city.

unclehobart

The critic are panning it left right and center for lack of actor chemistry, miscast actors, and plodding long speeches at moments of suspense and chase... sort of a detachment from reality.

It's rather hard to take a 550 page book and condense it into 2.5 hours and fit in all of the running and Opus Dei dissin' and make it feel seamless.

I blame that on Ron Howard. I simply despise his directing style.

unclehobart

You up for another Yeti Oakbarrel Aged Stout? ... or do we need to wean you back to decent drinking with more modest offerings in a stairstep pattern?

unclehobart

Professur said:
I'm trying to determine if that was an insult or not.
It wasn't. I just didn't want to bring out the A game right off of the bat only to have you only looking forward to a litany of B- stuff. Sometimes its better to start off with a few lighter beers... and then as the afternoon light passes into a dusky zenith... you whip out the good stuff. Sorta like a cigar and a nice port in the billiard room after a fine meal.

BeardofPants

unclehobart said:
I blame that on Ron Howard. I simply despise his directing style.
You and me both, mate. Between his ooky direction style, and the poorly written piece of crap this film is based on, I think I'll be skippin' it. :finger:

chcr

Too cute for words
I guess you guys are pissed that Opie's successful? Have any of you actually seen the movie or are you simply taking the critics' word for it? I personally prefer to reserve judgement for films I've actually seen, but that's just me.

unclehobart

I'm not pissed that Opie is successful. I just can't think of anything he's done that I like as a director outside of Apollo13.

As for panning the flick personally, I will be waiting til I see it... and I will be seeing it. Critics and I rarely see eye to eye. I am somewhat harsher. I rarely expect more out of movies these days outside of decent costuming and a little *bang boom pow* action.

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
The critic are panning it left right and center for lack of actor chemistry, miscast actors, and plodding long speeches at moments of suspense and chase... sort of a detachment from reality.

It's rather hard to take a 550 page book and condense it into 2.5 hours and fit in all of the running and Opus Dei dissin' and make it feel seamless.
I apologize if I misinterpreted. :shrug: